Accesing backup file ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accesing backup file ...

Has Jefit started encrypting the backup file (jefit.bak; jefit_pro.bak)?

I used to use the export/backup facility to be able to transfer data to excel for further analysis. With the latest version of Jefit (5.0910) it seems like the backup file is encrypted - at least trying to open it with SQLite Manager says it is encrypted or corrupt. What has changed with the backup process?

Hi Robert

Thanks for reply. I appreciate your need to protect the intellectual property in your product and I hope you can find a way to introduce an export function soon. I have been using JEFIT and visiting this forum for several years and know that a CSV or similar export function is probably the most requested feature enhance. I am sure lots of other people previously used the "backup and SQLite" 'hack' to achieve this functionality so hopefully we get an official route soon.

Comment

According to [URL="http://www.jefit.com/jefit-announcement/we-are-working-on-importexport-function/"]this[/URL] you've been working on an import/export function for over 3 years(!). To me, starting to encrypt the database shortly after someone [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?33349-How-to-export-data-from-jefit.bak-file-to-excel%28.csv%29"]finally figured out how to export data to CSV format[/URL] is quite the coincidence.

I've just jump ship from iOS to Android, and was looking for a replacement to the excellent iFitness app, when I stumbled across this app. However, I can't seem to find a way to import my data. Your app seems to be an equivalent to iFitness, but wihthout a way to export my results/backup in a non-propriatery/non-encrypted format, I think I'll have a look around to see if the grass is greener elsehwere.

Comment

I just came across this thread, as I am very interested in gaining access to my logged data. I would upgrade to ELITE in a heartbeat if raw data export was among the features included with it. However, if this capability is not forthcoming soon, I'll switch to a different app.

Comment

Hey Robert, could you please give us a status update about the export functionality? Thanks in advance!

Comment

I really don't understand how encrypting the database adds to security- unless this security you're talking about is JEFIT trying to lock people into their software and push them towards JEFIT ELITE.

An import/export function should be the most basic feature an application like this supports. The fact that it doesn't - and worse yet, the fact that you encrypted the database after people discovered how to export it seems pretty shady to me.

Your developers are obviously well versed at writing applications with database backends. I think adding a simple export feature to the website would be a relatively simple task for them. Until these features are available I can not recommend your software to anyone.

Comment

Comments like the above make me nervous about continuing to use Jefit as I really don't want to be locked into using 1 product forever. An export function isn't something I need now, but who knows what the future may bring.

Comment

No API or export option

I just started using Jefit .... and I was searching too the export/import option.
                So, there is no Api or export option .. and they are promising it since several months or years.
                I'd like an integration with Runkeeper or Fitbit but it seems it will take a while.

I think i'll need to continue looking for another 'gym app' for Android :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Robertrogo
                  Hello cjones8,

We appreciate your support and feedback in regards to the latest update with the .bak files.

The reasoning behind the encryption of the .bak files is for the protection and security of our application/product to prevent piracy of our application.

We have set privacy and blocked access to the .bak files through outside programs for security reasons and can only be accessed by our team.

We apologize for any inconvenience at all but we will be working on an export to excel/CSV functionality soon so that you will be able to export your data into that format.

- Robert
                  I wanted to review my logs in Excel and found this thread.

Yeah sure! So you have time to encrypt the database but you just happen to have no time at all just to dump some lines in a csv file. Obviously you want to prevent users accessing to THEIR own logs.

U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E.
                  Acting against your customers never ends well.
                  A PRO-Version user.

Comment

CSV export

Is this done yet?

Originally posted by Robertrogo
                    Hello cjones8,

We appreciate your support and feedback in regards to the latest update with the .bak files.

The reasoning behind the encryption of the .bak files is for the protection and security of our application/product to prevent piracy of our application.

We have set privacy and blocked access to the .bak files through outside programs for security reasons and can only be accessed by our team.

We apologize for any inconvenience at all but we will be working on an export to excel/CSV functionality soon so that you will be able to export your data into that format.

- Robert

Comment

Hi guys,
                      I afraid the Jefit developers don't really understand the business case around this "export" feature. They, for some reason, think, that if they allow people to export the data, people will instantly run away with this data and never come back to Jefit. Also, they think if they prevent us from exporting, we will be happily using the app forever because we have no other choice. This logic is terribly flawed.
                      In fact many of us like Jefit for its convenience of logging, stopwatch etc., and would like to do further analysis of the collected data on our own, on a PC in excel, or wherever... Tracking the progress in own customized way. Again, this doesn't mean we will run away the very moment we download the data from Jefit. Think! Why would we do so? Ok, we got the data, but we still need to continue excercising and keep logging, and Jefit is excellent for this! And the ability to export would be just another attractive feature which would give Jefit more popularity, not less.
                      As I see, the thread is old, and the issue has been known to the developers for long time. This means that unfortunately they do not understand. I've been using and liking Jefit for a while, I used a Pro version, and would continue using it with the export feature... But indeed, we, fellow users, may need to look elsewhere, where the grass is greener...
                      Cheers!

Comment

Last edited by josama; 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Hey guys. I made a Jar file that will decrypt a jefit.bak file.
                          Which would allow you to follow this: [url]http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?33349-How-to-export-data-from-jefit-bak-file-to-excel(-csv)&p=65923&posted=1#post65923[/url]

Jar file is here: [url]http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/Jte6RPiF/file.html[/url]

To use it just run "java -jar JefitDecryptor.jar /path/to/jefit.bak"

Proof: [url]http://imgur.com/lmgrO30.png[/url]
                          Last edited by josama; 04-01-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

How do you make/find a bak file on an iPhone?

Comment

Companies trying to lock users to their products by preventing them from exporting their data make me very very sad.

I've been using JEFIT for some years but I reached a point where I'd like to do some extra analysis of my workout data. So it looks like I'll be looking for other Android workout apps. So much for keeping your users by locking their data...

Comment

Working...
                              X