Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in training aftera 5 year hiatus

Hi guys,

My name is Ginmardo and after a 5 year hiatus from training, i decided to get back in shape. Before i dropped out from the gym after 3 years, i attended gyms two times for three or two months each time.
    Now that i just got a hold of some second hand equipment, i just started today and realized that i am in horrible shape... Horrible is a shape too
    I discovered JFIT and have to add, very useful app in regards to training.
    Looking forward to document and report my progress.
    Don't be a stranger, now

Welcome. What routine are you starting with?

Comment

Originally posted by fourdegrees11@live.com View Post
      Welcome. What routine are you starting with?
      uhm, i think i started with the basic routine; bench & tricep workout.

Comment

Cool man. Just a couple tips for you:

-You should pick a weight that allows you to reach the required reps given for the required number of sets. If you completed all sets at the same weight/reps, the next time you do the routine increase your weight (only needs to be 2.5 - 5 lbs). If you cant do all of the sets at the given reps, the next time out you will try to reach the required reps. This cycle will repeat, it is called progressive overload.

-If your goal is weight loss just remember you need to eat under your daily maintenance calorie intake to lose weight (or over that to gain weight). If the scale isnt moving, either eat less, or do more cardio to change the calorie balance.

Comment

Originally posted by fourdegrees11@live.com View Post
          Cool man. Just a couple tips for you:

-You should pick a weight that allows you to reach the required reps given for the required number of sets. If you completed all sets at the same weight/reps, the next time you do the routine increase your weight (only needs to be 2.5 - 5 lbs). If you cant do all of the sets at the given reps, the next time out you will try to reach the required reps. This cycle will repeat, it is called progressive overload.

-If your goal is weight loss just remember you need to eat under your daily maintenance calorie intake to lose weight (or over that to gain weight). If the scale isnt moving, either eat less, or do more cardio to change the calorie balance.
          thanks fourdegrees.

i should add that i'm a skinny person. i believe that i am referred to as an ectomorph. currently surfing the web for workout routines and nutrition plans.

Comment

Even better. That means you need to eat like a beast, be consistently over your maintenance level. You dont want to gorge out on junk food, but ignore fad healthy eating stuff. Lots of starchy carbs, and meats should be the staple of your diet.

The progressive overload part works like a charm when you are in a calorie surplus (it gets hard when you cut calories). Those two factors are 100% of what leads to muscle growth.

Comment

This would be a good beginner routine, except the current number of sets listed is a little excessive

[url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=23045[/url]

Edit that so no exercise has more then 3 sets. After about 6 months you should be strong enough to start bumping up the number of sets.

Comment

thanks for the headsup. will surely consider the routine, although most of my routine consists of most of the workouts. note: i don't have access to all the gym equipment. we just set up our own gym with the second hand stuff we obtained. still, will start with the routine you recommended, with the equipment we currently have in house

Comment

Ahh ok. The key with that routine is that it is hitting your major lifts twice a week. The one body part a week type splits arent as effective if you arent on roids

Comment

all the more reason to focus on doing this routine especially the chest area

Comment

Originally posted by Ginmardo View Post
                      uhm, i think i started with the basic routine; bench & tricep workout.
                      I suggest you add legs and back to your routine. Legs are major muscle - if you don't train them you miss on 40% of your workout, and having well-toned chest without back to balance it will make you stoop.

Comment

hi robert,

to start things off: i am very pleased to have registered with JEFIT. my kinda fitness forum for real

i don't mind all the questions, i realize they serve a purpose. as for my workout goals: i would really like to build muscle. trust me, you do not want to underestimate my skinnyness LOL. but i am very optimistic since i've been there before and know what i can accomplish with th proper exercise. upon googling i came accross a workout program that most likely seem to fit my needs. link: [url]http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-mass-building-routine-for-ectomorphs.html[/url]
                        any feedback on the program is deeply appreciated. i currently do not have a training partner. i do train with alongside my cousins, but we have different training programs, seeing that i do not build muscle as fast as they do. they do provide the necessary support, though while we are training. i am currently not on any diet plan. i did read up on a few articles which suggested that i consume a lot of protein and carb rich food [fish and meat products] next to your fruits and veggies ofcourse. i havent grapsed the idea of calorie counting yet :$

note: at the moment, i dont have access to a gym or an extensive array of gym equipment. all we have in the office [me and my cousins] are free weights: bench, barbell, dumbbell and weights. so i substituted certain machine dependant workouts from my found workout plan, with free weight exercises which aren't many.

i have viewed some of the other forums and i have to say without a doubt that JEFIT IS the right forum to be on. very happy to be here. any help and tips are welcome. if anything, i am looking forward to feedback.

thanks

-Gino-

Comment

Originally posted by is304 View Post
                          I suggest you add legs and back to your routine. Legs are major muscle - if you don't train them you miss on 40% of your workout, and having well-toned chest without back to balance it will make you stoop.
                          silly me, i actually forgot to mention the legs part :$
                          a workout that i am currently on: [url]http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-mass-building-routine-for-ectomorphs.html[/url]

Comment

Hitting a muscle only once per week will really slow your progress. Here's a really solid looking newbie routine, with a progression scheme, and eating plan

[url]http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/ex-hardgainer-workout-eating-plan.html[/url]

Comment

hey,

thanks for the recommendation. looks tuff, but i am willing thanks for the recommendation

Comment

Working...
                              X