Only 15 minute window for pre-workout snack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 15 minute window for pre-workout snack

I've googled around a but and found varying opinions on the necessity of a pre-workout snack. Right now, I have none. My situation is finicky, so I'm asking for opinions here.

I'm up at 5am on workout days and at the gym by 5:15am. Not a whole lot of time! Should I be concerned about a pre-workout snack? I'm thinking that it may not be in the cards for me in that time frame. I'm eating Paleo and I'm not inerested in protein powder shakes. I read somewhere a banana and a few almonds could do the trick. Any thoughts?

Might be an idea to get up just that little bit earlier to make sure you have time to have something to eat?? Just a suggestion. If not i'm sure a banana and almonds would work.

Comment

Originally posted by questthewordsmith View Post
      I've googled around a but and found varying opinions on the necessity of a pre-workout snack. Right now, I have none. My situation is finicky, so I'm asking for opinions here.

I'm up at 5am on workout days and at the gym by 5:15am. Not a whole lot of time! Should I be concerned about a pre-workout snack? I'm thinking that it may not be in the cards for me in that time frame. I'm eating Paleo and I'm not inerested in protein powder shakes. I read somewhere a banana and a few almonds could do the trick. Any thoughts?
      I would train fasted honestly. You should be getting in plenty of carbs the night prior to A.M. training

Also, Try a cup of coffee instead... better for fat loss

Comment

I've heard that if you skip breakfast, it sets you two steps back instead of helping you move forward. Is it true that you should have somewhat of a breakfast an hour within waking? I've noticed if I don't eat before going to do my workout in the morning, I get sick to my stomach and somewhat dizzy.

Comment

You should eat some protein before working out. Catabolic in the morning is very high. Training without some food will be increase that much more.

Comment

I also work out early in the morning, so I don't want to eat a full meal immediately before I go work out. I make a batch of these Peanut Butter Protein Balls early in the week, so that I can have one before I head to the gym every morning. They're ~100 calories each, so it's enough to give me some energy to work with while I'm exercising, but won't make me feel heavy. Also, knowing that I have a tasty treat waiting for me helps me get out of bed in the morning! :-)

These are not paleo at all, but hopefully non-paleo folks will appreciate the recipe: https://www.eatthismuch.com/recipe/view/peanut-butter-protein-balls,1126610/

Comment

Just to clear up this whole eating thing. Food timing is a myth, there is no such thing as going catabolic from missing a meal etc. This has been widely discredited. Your body is a clever system that is not interested in frequency or timing but concerned with amounts and what macronutrients it is getting. The idea that you need to eat small and often is counter intuitive to any goal. Intermittent fasting proves that. In fact, fasting for 16 hours a day improves and increases growth hormone and testosterone, decreases inflammation and burns fat. Just concentrate on getting the right amount of calories in for your day/week a forget about food timing.

Comment

Working...
              X