Cardio on day of weight lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio on day of weight lifting

Hello, is it OK that I do a bit of cardio (treadmill for 20-30mins) after my weight lifting session? I think I've heard from somewhere that doing so will not promote muscle building as efficient so it's better to separate them into different days.

Thanks for your input.

Alan

Hi Alan,
    Its not entirely true that doing cardio on weight training days will hamper muscle growth.
    Cardio and weight training (one after the other) are generally discouraged because if at the back of ones mind one has it pre-determined that he has to do cardio, he'll try and save some energy for the cardio session, leading to less fulfilling weight training session. Therefore, for an all out weight session people don't do cardio on the same day.

Instead of 20-30 minutes, do 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill...e.g. 45 sec sprint-45 sec recovery cycle. Short-crisp-heart pumping running session on weight training days an full cardio on non wight training days.

Comment

Originally posted by pd323 View Post
      Hi Alan,
      Its not entirely true that doing cardio on weight training days will hamper muscle growth.
      Cardio and weight training (one after the other) are generally discouraged because if at the back of ones mind one has it pre-determined that he has to do cardio, he'll try and save some energy for the cardio session, leading to less fulfilling weight training session. Therefore, for an all out weight session people don't do cardio on the same day.

Instead of 20-30 minutes, do 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill...e.g. 45 sec sprint-45 sec recovery cycle. Short-crisp-heart pumping running session on weight training days an full cardio on non wight training days.
      Thanks, I will give your suggestion a try. It's time to update my routine for the new year! hehe

Comment

I do Cardio Treadmill 25-30 MInutes prior to Strength Machines & Free Weight's

Since I started Oct 15 2013 weight 242LBs now 216.

I learned from the beginning to start on the Treadmill. I break up my speed and inclines for a good workout.
        Then I do my Strength Training workouts for about 1 hour or more.

I have seen others do it at the end of their S Training or Free Weight work outs.

I can see waiting for cardio may interfere with the weight training.

Just Do it and see how you feel.

Comment

Or mix the cardio with the lifting by incorporating very short rests. That's the mainstay of my program, actually. I get my heart rate up, and keep it up, while getting my resistance exercise. My heart rate is about as high when I'm doing dumbbell lunges as it is when I'm sprinting.

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I have been doing mainly weight lifting for the past few years. I don't lift heavy and my sessions are rougly 30 mins only. I usually wake up an extra 1 hour early before work to hit the gym 3-4 times a week.

I don't really sweat or feel my heatbeat goes up when working out so I figure I would do some treadmill as to make myself feel healthier.

Alan

Comment

I have personally done it and found it tremendous,If there is a way that help us in losing the weight and dealing with these kinda things cardio is the finest option.

[url=https://medium.com/p/d69a6a80d24c]physical therapy billing[/url]

Comment

I agree with Phil. I tend to keep my rest periods short in order to keep my heart rate up on resistance training days, and then alternate with cardio only days. When I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 I didn't do any cardio training at all.

Comment

On some days I would go out to the local reservoir and run 3 miles before I went to the gym. On other days, I would do heavy lifting at the gym, and then go do 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I've never noticed a real problem from doing it. I actually feel a lot better when I add running to my heavy days. I never really thought about conserving strength or energy for the treadmill on any of the days.

As long as you're taking in the proper carbs to give yourself the energy to run, and the proper protein to promote the muscle growth you're aiming for during your lifting, you should be just fine.

Comment

Some sources report that, for losing weight. Doing cardio after strength training gives a longer metabolic "burn". Depending on how hard I do the strength training, I may reduce the cardio to 30 minutes right after strength training, or do an hour of cardio activity later in the day. But I'm an old guy, so I tend to take it easy to avoid injury.

Comment

Cardio on day of weight lifting

Is rowing machine is good for daily workout? I want to use rowing machine for full body workout so tell me is my decision okay?

Comment

Working...
                      X