No announcement yet.

I'm so sore and tired!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming nothing medically wrong I'd look at diet first. What is your fat intake (frequency, amount, types)?

Comment

Originally posted by John Rippon View Post
      Assuming nothing medically wrong I'd look at diet first. What is your fat intake (frequency, amount, types)?
      I probably eat too much fat if anything. Starting this week, my typical day has been this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 3 slices of bacon
      Snack: High protein granola/snack bar
      Lunch: Turkey sandwich
      Dinner: Shrimp pasta, burger, etc. (different every day)
      Snack: Protein shake with skim milk
      Late night snack: Peanut butter and honey sandwich

Overall, I've been getting over 130 grams of protein per day (I weigh about 160). My calories are up to about 2500. I avoid fried foods as much as possible.
      Last edited by dannyjerome0; 01-09-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave J Mac
        Worth also thinking about sleep - when a lot of the work of building muscle takes place. If the amount or quality is poor, then recovery is slow. Alcohol in the evening disrupts normal circadian patterns, It might get you to sleep quicker but the quality of sleep can be affected.

Dave
        I'm trying to get more sleep. I also cut out alcohol completely. I try to get 8+ hours now every night. So far, I've done 3 workouts this week, and I'm HORRIBLY sore and tired. It takes me several seconds just to get out of my chair due to the leg workout from 2 days ago (3 sets of squats, straight-legged deadlifts, lying leg curls, and walking dumbbell lunges). I took a hot bath yesterday for the first time since I was a little kid. I just couldn't move my legs were so sore. I do feel like I don't get enough quality sleep, even though I go to bed early. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and have night tremors.
        Last edited by dannyjerome0; 01-09-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyjerome0 View Post
          I probably eat too much fat if anything. Starting this week, my typical day has been this:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 3 slices of bacon
          Snack: High protein granola/snack bar
          Lunch: Turkey sandwich
          Dinner: Shrimp pasta, burger, etc. (different every day)
          Snack: Protein shake with skim milk
          Late night snack: Peanut butter and honey sandwich

Overall, I've been getting over 130 grams of protein per day (I weigh about 160). My calories are up to about 2500. I avoid fried foods as much as possible.
          Obviously it's hit-and-miss just suggesting solutions via an internet forum. We can't be with you 24 x 7 to see what factors in your life may contribute to the problem; we don't know your medical history, training history, types of exercise, intensity of exercise or whether or not your training expectations are overly ambitious. (Doesn't everyone over 30 wish they were as fit and full of energy as they used to be?)

Anyway, let's assume you're not working long hours at a hard, manual job; you finish off every weights session with adequate stretching of all the muscle groups; you really are getting as much quality sleep and rest as you say you are; you live a life with no abnormally high levels of emotional stress ... you're generally happy. Let's also assume you're not suffering any medical condition that may be causing your condition.

Let's, rather, look at the diet aspect again. Obviously a diet not only has to provide adequate energy, it also has to have balanced quantities of each of the essential four macro-nutrients and dozens of micro-nutrients.

Your food example contains virtually no fruit or vegetables. When you're weight training vitamins and minerals become even more important and fruit and vegetables should be your first source of these. Don't rely on popping pills to compensate for a diet that is lacking balance and variety.

We can't really tell if your energy intake is sufficient. The body is amazingly efficient at self regulation (homeostasis). Let's say you're not eating enough to meet the demands of your life including your exercise plan. Your body can respond in several different ways: by making you feel hungry, making you feel tired/'sick' and/or by reducing your body weight. In turn you have choices for what to do about this: you can heed the signs and increase your food intake to meet the needs of your lifestyle; you can cut back your exercise to better match your food intake or you can enter a downward spiral by trying to battle on with following your exercise plan, put up with constantly feeling sick and tired and watch your body weight and your general health decline. Certainly if you're having to compromise your exercise in order to avoid being too sore, tired and sick then upping the amount of food you eat would be one simple to try (maybe add some fruit and vegetables every day!). Counting calories and using formulas to estimate how much food to eat may be of academic interest and can be a starting point but monitoring your body weight and composition is a far more reliable and useful thing to do in the long run.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I've posted on here. I will say that I noticed a definite improvement in my DOMS when taking citrulline malate supplements. My only problem is that I forget to take them! One day I took them before a pretty heavy leg workout (4 sets of squats, then leg curls, leg extensions, and calf raises). I was sore for about 2 days max. I forgot to take them before a relatively light chest day, and I've been sore for over 3 days now! I'm aware that I don't tend to get enough protein, but other things equal, the citrulline malate helps a ton!

Comment

Good news indeed! It citrulline malate helps, then it's very likely due to lactic acid build-up. I didn't reseaerch it extensively, since I never had that problem, but post-workout stretching should help because it increases blood flow into the muscle, and that washes away some of the lactic acid. A massage might help as well.

Comment

Working...
              X