Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from wintery Canada

Hi,

Even if it's cold up here (Montreal, QC), -15˚ C for the last week, I still love this season and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm a 44 old guy in so so health, I'm restarting training after a back injury, nothing too bad, just fly down some stairs.
    But before I could, I pull my thumb last December and delay my return to the gym just to get into shape.
    And yes, I had other injury but that's part of the game my grand pa used to say.

But enough of that, one question I have is how someone can find motivation and go in the gym before the Sun got up ?
    During summer, it is not to hard, since the Sun is usually up before 05:30 but in winter it is not before 07:30 usually.

So if there is any Northerner in this forum, I'll welcome any of your suggestions.

Aleph

I avoid waking up before the sun at all costs lol so I generally always get my workouts in at around 5pm. On the mornings I do work out I like to have everything I need (preworkout, breakfast, gym clothes etc.) within arms reach. This way as soon as my alarm goes off I can grab everything and go before I start pressing snooze and end up passing out again.

Comment

For me getting up in the morning is easier if I have all my stuff ready to go the night before. That way I don't think of it and just go. Once you are out the door it gets easier!

Comment

I hear you, i am in Ireland and really cold now aswell (although only -2 compared to your -15) and also just back after back trouble. I too like to hit the gym early before work, usually so that my training doesn't impact on family time (everyone's happy). The secret for me is making sure i get to bed early. That way after a while your body clock won't notice the difference. It can be hard though as the body has this built in mechanism where it would like to sleep more in the winter and play more in the summer, it uses daylight as feedback and naturally knows where the seasons are. The one key thing here to remember is that it is only tough for a short while before it becomes natural to your system. Good luck.

Comment

Hi Aleph,
          I know winter was very cold this year in Montreal, especially in Feb.
          I hope you are keeping up with he good job at the gym.
          How do you like to workout after 40? I am 51 and I feel younger than b4.
          Take care,
          Pierre from Montreal area.

Comment

Originally posted by aleph View Post
            Hi,

Even if it's cold up here (Montreal, QC), -15˚ C for the last week, I still love this season and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I'm a 44 old guy in so so health, I'm restarting training after a back injury, nothing too bad, just fly down some stairs.
            But before I could, I pull my thumb last December and delay my return to the gym just to get into shape.
            And yes, I had other injury but that's part of the game my grand pa used to say.

But enough of that, one question I have is how someone can find motivation and go in the gym before the Sun got up ?
            During summer, it is not to hard, since the Sun is usually up before 05:30 but in winter it is not before 07:30 usually.

So if there is any Northerner in this forum, I'll welcome any of your suggestions.

Aleph
            I'm a newbie but not far from, just about 1 to 1.5 hours up the 401. Glad to see another Canuck here.

Comment

Working...
            X