Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with calories per day, bmr, and other misc

Hi all.
    So I've been told that I need to cut my calorie intake if I want to lose weight. Kind of makes sense as excessive calories are the reason for me to be fat.
    But I'm not sure where to start, or better yet, how to start. I should probably start counting how many calories I eat per day anyway. Sounds like a dull task, but you got to start somewhere.

Currently, I eat 4-5 meals per day and I'm not particularly careful what I eat. I don't consume fizzy drinks, nor I eat fried foods (very rarely). I do have a sweet tooth though so I guess I must say byebye to sweets... That would be the first step.

I was doing some due diligence and came up with the following plan.
    I am 188cm tall, 111kg and 39 yo and apparently, my basal metabolic rate is 2262 calories (using this [URL="http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator"]bmr calculator[/URL], found here [URL="http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator"]http://healthiack.com/bmr-calculator[/URL]). This means that this is the max amount of calories I can eat per day, right? That is if I don't exercise and I'm idle. I was thinking of creating a deficit of 500 calories each day so I'm looking at around 1800 calories per day, divided among 4 meals. 2 big meals and 2 snacks.
    Would someone be so kind to help me out with preparing the menus? I know I'm suppose to eat only rice, turkey and olive oil but I'd still like to get a little bit more creative so I don't die of boredom

Thanks in advance!!
    J

Hey Janzy, first thing you'll want to be sure of is your BMR value vs TDEE value. Your BMR is your absolute minimum caloric requirement for your body just to exist. Eating beneath this value is dangerous and can cause a whole pile of health problems. The value that you want to use when cutting calories is the Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Which includes an estimate of how many calories you burn in your daily life (work, exercise and life in general).

Take for instance my value for my BMR is roughly 1900 while my current TDEE is 2600-2800. So far a fair caloric deficit I'd aim for 2200-2300 calories per day.

As far as diet goes, consistency is key. Try using the Myfitnesspal app to track your daily input for a week without making any changes. From here you can see where some of your trouble spots may be.

For food choices, stick to whole foods as much as possible. See the lists below for good examples of each macro nutrient.

Protein:
    Chicken/turkey
    Fish (tuna, tilapia and salmon are good sources and easy to get)
    Beef (stick to leaner cuts)
    Eggs
    Lentils

Carbs:
    Whole wheat breads and pasta.
    Brown rice
    Vegetables

Fats:
    Dairy
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Healthy oils (nuts, seed)

There are many healthy recipes you can make and you should play around with it for a bit to find what kind of foods work for you.

Cheers

Comment

HI.
      Yep, I did some more browsing and BMR is apparently bare minimum calorie intake (basal metabolism) I will look into this TDEE number you mentioned and prepare a better calorie-wise plan :-)

Comment

Working...
      X