Alcohol and Cigarettes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol and Cigarettes

Ok, here is a health question about alcohol and smoking and how it impacts my workout. I am a smoker (yes, I know it's not healthy) and am wondering how smoking impacts my workout as far as muscle building. I'm guessing that it may constrict my blood vessels and flow of oxygen throughout my body, which may not be a good thing. Is there anything else? Or am I correct about the above?

Also, I'm trying to gain buku mass. I am 6'3" and weight 163 lbs, I've always had the same build. Although tall and lean, I consider myself to be defined but would like to add size to the definition. I am taking a weight gainer (banana cream flavor) that when mixed with Jim Beam bourbon, tastes delicious! Is this a bad combo?

If you feel like yelling at me for my health habits, feel free! I am a former Marine and have had my share of ass chewings in the past. But sincerely, and comments on the alcohol and smoking and the impact both have on bodybuilding would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't even know where to begin. I'll save you the ass chewing but it sounds like you understand these are not only bad habits to have but they also negatively affect the results of your training. If you are mixing Jim beam in your weight gainer that might be a red flag for I have a problem. To be open and honest and I’m sure everyone in here will agree. You might want to put weight training on hold and work towards quitting smoking and reducing the amount of alcohol consumption. I think if you got these down your already helping yourself out. I don’t think you can honestly expect results that I think you think are obtainable if you don’t.

Comment

If you're having to mix JB with your weight gainer, that must be one NASTY tasting powder.

Comment

Jim beam with weight gainer?! sounds like its gotta be nasty tasting but think about the cost of it too!!! Jim beam aint cheap over here!!!

I smoke myself... and play rugby, and to be honest yes I want to quit but it doesn't have much of an impact on my weight training, only on my fitness! On the other hand now I have a set routine that I've been doing for a couple of weeks I find I smoke alot less... (check out my Power muscle burn 4 day split) I do drink on some weekends too; sometimes you just have to go down the pub and get tanked up! But if you want to get definition then drinking is no good as a pint of beer has LOADS of calories in it!

Get a set routine in place and you'll find you'll have more motivation to cut down on drinking and smoking.

Good luck and when times get hard look towards your goal!!

Jamie

Comment

I always have a fag (smoke for all your americans) before the gym and afterwards and i've not really noticed much difference

Although having a fag break part way through your workout will just ruin anything afterwards!

Comment

Originally posted by wightsa View Post
            I am taking a weight gainer (banana cream flavor) that when mixed with Jim Beam bourbon, tastes delicious!
            LMFAO! I about fell outta my chair.

So as you probably know, alcohol isn't a free ride in terms of nutrition. 1.5oz is about 95 calories. Alcohol also triggers the conversion of glycogen stores into sugar. One thing I will say about it is that it does in fact increase ATP production (hence the "warming" effect). But along the way, it's not doing anything good (e.g. acetaldehyde). But I'm assuming you're smart enough to realize all the negative effects.

Get some better powders. If it has to be mixed with Jim Beam it's got to awful tasting already. And work on breaking those habits.

Comment

wow

Alcohol and Cigarettes affect (among many others) AVP, Testosterone, and sytemic O2 levels.

AVP (Arginine vasopressin) is the diuretic that makes you urinate so much when you drink. AVP tricks the body into releasing fluids essentially draining you of much needed fluids as well as the nutrients in those fluids.

Drink alcohol and you lose testosterone the main anabolic substance in your body. Yes you will produce more once the alcohol leaves your system but in the meantime your serum levels are all over the place. You cannot manipulate Test without paying the price in the currency of lean muscle.

Smoking - vasoconstrictor and oxygen depleter. Nothing else needs saying here.

After a good party you will wake up with low testosterone, malnurished, dehydrated, and probably somewhat disappointed. This means you start off every day waaaaaaay behind where your normal self would start. Any supplements or good eating will be first used to bring you to an even keel. If you were to bring your systemic levels to normal throughout the day you wreck it all again at night when you crack open the Beam. Nowhere in there did I mention growth. Realistically you cannot bring levels around through the course of one day so you live your life depleted of basic necessities. Unless those habits change there is minimal chance of physical progress in the gym and a very high potential for these habits to manifest in serious illness or disease.

You have much bigger fish to fry than the flavor of your weight gainer.

Comment

I just say you to quit these unhealthy habits, smoking is the worst activity that we do with our body. Although drinking alcohol is also dangerous for health. They produce lack of stamina and also increase chances of breathing diseases. They soon destroy your physical and mental health.
                Last edited by Syndi; 01-12-2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Opusarlo View Post
                  Alcohol and Cigarettes affect (among many others) AVP, Testosterone, and sytemic O2 levels.

AVP (Arginine vasopressin) is the diuretic that makes you urinate so much when you drink. AVP tricks the body into releasing fluids essentially draining you of much needed fluids as well as the nutrients in those fluids.

Drink alcohol and you lose testosterone the main anabolic substance in your body. Yes you will produce more once the alcohol leaves your system but in the meantime your serum levels are all over the place. You cannot manipulate Test without paying the price in the currency of lean muscle.

Smoking - vasoconstrictor and oxygen depleter. Nothing else needs saying here.

After a good party you will wake up with low testosterone, malnurished, dehydrated, and probably somewhat disappointed. This means you start off every day waaaaaaay behind where your normal self would start. Any supplements or good eating will be first used to bring you to an even keel. If you were to bring your systemic levels to normal throughout the day you wreck it all again at night when you crack open the Beam. Nowhere in there did I mention growth. Realistically you cannot bring levels around through the course of one day so you live your life depleted of basic necessities. Unless those habits change there is minimal chance of physical progress in the gym and a very high potential for these habits to manifest in serious illness or disease.

You have much bigger fish to fry than the flavor of your weight gainer.
                  I think alcohol is more dangerous than cigarette. i know what is the main element of alcohol. so we have to remain far from alcohol. what is your next plan mention it here. you can right about how we give up our bad habits.

Comment

what about e cigs?

Comment

Make sure to get your antioxidants (B1 and C), the booze metabolites include plenty of free radicals that poison your liver and kidneys. And try to keep your boozing separated from workout and recovery -- muscle tissue anabolism is suppressed by booze. Mixing protein with booze is thus self-contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by andyroth
                        I know there are negative effects from smoking, ya, but I just want to know Is there any inherent traits of cigarette smoke that will affect results from lifting weights?
                        I'm not a doctor, but I'm sure that cigarette smoke will be bad for weight lifting. Firstly, you're damaging your lungs which would make it harder to breath, therefore reducing your ability to train hard. Secondly, it reduces your overall oxygen efficiency which your muscles need to function at their peak.

Just all around not a good idea to smoke, but to each their own.

Comment

Actually nicotine has been show to boost fat metabolism... which isn't a suprise. Take a look at all the people taking smoke breaks at office jobs and what do they have in common? most of them are pretty thin.... (OK OK, i know there are heavy people who also smoke) but...

Problem is everything else you get from a cigarette, like the 60+ carcinogens

I personally and big on vaping... i have built mechanical mods and all that and have not inherited and negative VISUAL side effects... however i am using 0 NICOTINE E-LIQUID ... so it's like smoking air. It's made from Food Grade Additives, so it's FDA approved, which doesn't mean much these days but still a better choice than a pack or marlboro's a day! EVERYTHING can kill you at some point, even water....... so make logical decisions based on how you feel. See what works best for you, and good luck.

OH and PS: Alcohol is just straight up BAD. No way around it... you will LOSE MUSCLE in a hurry if you hit the booze!

Comment

Hi,
                            I am a nutrition advisor and you might think that this reply is a little strange coming from this profession but i tell it how it is. The smoking will not cause any significant barriers in your quest to gain muscle. There are many health issues attributed to smoking but fortunately for you, muscle gain is not one of them. May i suggest that you take a look at Mike Mentzers heavy duty training principles for gaining muscle. looks like you are a naturally lean "hard gainer" so i would suggest that you concentrate on heavy compound exercises and full body routines 3 times a week until you stop seeing gains. Then i would drop one of the sessions and do this twice a week. Yes, you haerd me right, when you plataeu, you do less but workout with higher intensity to get the muscle building going again not more. If you take a look at Mentzers ideas on the subject, it will make more sense to you. When it comes to building mass, less is better and the reason for this is that you will be able to workout at a higher intesnity (which is what builds muscle). Muscles do not want to grow, you have to force them. Did you ever notice the guy at the gym that does the same weight on the bench for the same number of reps everytime? Also, did you notice that he is staying the same size even though to an outsider it looks like he is working hard struggling on the last couple of reps of each set. If you don't try to force extra reps every time then your muscle has no need to grow. I would try squat, pullups, dips for 3 days a week 3 sets each probably 7-10 reps each and bust a gut. the beauty of this workout is that because it is so short, there is no excuse for you not to workout at a super high intensity (and being a former Marine (thank you by the way), discipline shouldn't be much of an issue for you). Don't worry about this routine not having other excercises in it, as while pullups is predominantly a back exercise, it also works the biceps and dips is a great exercise for triceps and shoulders not just the chest. And squats are....well squats are just squats, probably the best single exercise someone could do for gaining mass. And by the way, if you are doing squats correctly and at a very high intesity (again refer to mentzer) i would be amazed if you can even get to the other 2 exercises with any sort of intesity at all (squats will take that much out of you).
                            Good luck and feel free to let me know how you get on.
                            John.

Comment

Just avoid

There is no doubt that, these bad addictions will surely affect your health and progress. It is cleared that the consumption of alcohol in the mild amount is good for heart health. But excessive intake of the alcohol increases the risk of serious health problems. Apart from that, Smoking addiction has not a single benefit and this habit surely contribute the premature death. [URL="http://www.angelmeds.com/blog/health-benefits-associated-with-cutting-down-smoking.html"]Read more[/URL]
                              Last edited by ryansteven; 02-17-2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X