workouts to build muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workouts to build muscle

I been exercising and working out for 8 months now, for the first 7 months I did exercise and weight trained on a bowflex. Past month I switched over to free weights with same basic routine and didnt feel was getting anywhere. So this week I started a new workout routine, a pyramid lift an amount of weights for 10 sets, then add 5 pounds then 8 sets ,add 5 more and 6 sets.

Im looking for someone with weight training exp to tell me if this will get results or what would be the best routine to get results for bulking. I also been losing weight, I still need to lose another 12 pounds ,so Im not looking to eat more to gain more weight, but I like to bulk up is that even possible ? I learned that if your weight training jogging is bad for the muscles ,it breaks them up, so I walk, but is that true ? any info you guys can share would be much appreciated as Im just really starting out and learning weight training.

thanks

You are saying sets, did you mean reps? These are two different things.

First, congrats on working out 8 months. That in itself you should be commended and I hope you continue on for life. I'm just over 13 years myself and still going. Second, there is nothing wrong with jogging while doing a weight training program. Have you looked at elite athletes, they run and are still strong and muscular. That is old thinking and it is wrong. That is like saying a body building could not be flexible because of all of the muscle; BUNK.

From the simple information you have provided you are not giving us much to go on. In your workout routine are you hitting all of the major muscle groups? Legs, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Triceps. Biceps and Abs. Are you working the larger muscles first before working smaller muscles like Triceps and Biceps? Are you doing a sufficient amount of leg workouts? The legs are the foundation of the body and if you limit that training then you are limiting any other gains you could have for other body parts. Are you allowing adequate REST to heal and to grow? Are you getting proper nutrition? Are you drinking enough water? So many factors go into lifting. Sure it is easy to just start and pick up some weights and start but you will find that after a while your body will adapt and this is the time you will need to start learning more about weight lifting in order to progress.

There are a lot of routines out there, just look at this site. There are also a lot of bad routines out there; again just look at this site. But if you weed through things you can find some real gems with people that actually understand what they are doing.

Another question I would ask is do you have sufficient amount of weights? Without having direct access to a lot of weights then you are limiting yourself. You have to continually challenge yourself by lifting more weight, upping reps, reducing rest time, etc. If you continually lift the same weights all of the time because that is all you have then your body will adapt and that will feel hard and you will be hitting a wall.

One thing you could do is go to a gym and talk to a personal trainer. Ensure if you do this that you do your homework because many places have people in place that don't have a clue and only have a certificate from taking a course, they have no real life experience. Nothing beats talking to a real person and have them work with you.

I'll check back later to see if you've looked at it and if this has sparked any further questions.

Comment

My ment reps lol I do 3 sets first set 10 reps, second 8 reps and 3rd 6 reps.

I bought a weight bench with a built in squat rack and preacher curl pad, I also purchased 600 pounds of Olympic weights , I am actually hoping to buy and set of the weights so I dont have to move my weights from 1 exercise to another at all. lol Apparently 600 pounds is not enough ,I drink at least 10 9 oz glasses of water a day. I drink a whey shake 2 times a day, eat 2 eggs and 4 egg whites almost every morning, and tunafish, so I think Im putting enough protein in my body. One thing I pretty sure Im not doing properly is stretching, I dont stretch after a workout, and the stretching I do before a workout I doubt is very helpful. I can use some pointers here as well.

Originally posted by decu68 View Post
      You are saying sets, did you mean reps? These are two different things.

First, congrats on working out 8 months. That in itself you should be commended and I hope you continue on for life. I'm just over 13 years myself and still going. Second, there is nothing wrong with jogging while doing a weight training program. Have you looked at elite athletes, they run and are still strong and muscular. That is old thinking and it is wrong. That is like saying a body building could not be flexible because of all of the muscle; BUNK.

From the simple information you have provided you are not giving us much to go on. In your workout routine are you hitting all of the major muscle groups? Legs, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Triceps. Biceps and Abs. Are you working the larger muscles first before working smaller muscles like Triceps and Biceps? Are you doing a sufficient amount of leg workouts? The legs are the foundation of the body and if you limit that training then you are limiting any other gains you could have for other body parts. Are you allowing adequate REST to heal and to grow? Are you getting proper nutrition? Are you drinking enough water? So many factors go into lifting. Sure it is easy to just start and pick up some weights and start but you will find that after a while your body will adapt and this is the time you will need to start learning more about weight lifting in order to progress.

There are a lot of routines out there, just look at this site. There are also a lot of bad routines out there; again just look at this site. But if you weed through things you can find some real gems with people that actually understand what they are doing.

Another question I would ask is do you have sufficient amount of weights? Without having direct access to a lot of weights then you are limiting yourself. You have to continually challenge yourself by lifting more weight, upping reps, reducing rest time, etc. If you continually lift the same weights all of the time because that is all you have then your body will adapt and that will feel hard and you will be hitting a wall.

One thing you could do is go to a gym and talk to a personal trainer. Ensure if you do this that you do your homework because many places have people in place that don't have a clue and only have a certificate from taking a course, they have no real life experience. Nothing beats talking to a real person and have them work with you.

I'll check back later to see if you've looked at it and if this has sparked any further questions.
      Last edited by CelticWarrior; 03-25-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

So I should jog after weight training say for 30-45 minutes ?

I try to add 5 pounds every 2 weeks to what I can lift ,I think more of my problem is I dont have a spotter so I tend to not push myself to the point where I end up hurting or killing myself. Like today I tried benching 165 pounds and got 5 out of it before I stopped and dropped the weight to 145 out of fear of not getting the bar back up. So I will continue to try to add 5 pounds every 2 weeks once I get to the point I can handle the reps in good form till the end.

I submitted my routine so feel free to criticize it , I only wanna get the best out of my workouts without wasting them. As for confusing my muscles, I start from the first exercise one week ,then I start from the last exercise the next week. I only started this routine this week .

I was was weighing 330 pound on july 19th 2010 and I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to exercise at that weight. But I am here today weighing 211 pounds, and I do plan to weight train and stay healthy for the rest of my life. I feel so light, so fit, feel so good.

Only thing I take is body fortress protein powder with water twice a day, one a day energy vit and fish oil pills. I could use a lot of help so that I can learn as much as possible to get the best possible results. I mean I read many articles about people weight training and not getting anywhere and end up just wasting their sessions , I dont wanna be one of those guys, I want to progress...... so any tips,if you have better routines whatever, I like to read em.

Thank you for making Jefit , I got the pro version and it is really simple and awesome to use.

Thanks
        Last edited by CelticWarrior; 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticWarrior View Post
          So I should jog after weight training say for 30-45 minutes ?

I try to add 5 pounds every 2 weeks to what I can lift ,I think more of my problem is I dont have a spotter so I tend to not push myself to the point where I end up hurting or killing myself. Like today I tried benching 165 pounds and got 5 out of it before I stopped and dropped the weight to 145 out of fear of not getting the bar back up. So I will continue to try to add 5 pounds every 2 weeks once I get to the point I can handle the reps in good form till the end.

I submitted my routine so feel free to criticize it , I only wanna get the best out of my workouts without wasting them.

I was was weighing 330 pound on july 19th 2010 and I can't begin to tell you how hard it was to exercise at that weight. But I am here today weighing 211 pounds, and I do plan to weight train and stay healthy for the rest of my life. I feel so light, so fit, feel so good.

Only thing I take is body fortress protein powder with water twice a day, one a day energy vit and fish oil pills. I could use a lot of help so that I can learn as much as possible to get the best possible results. I mean I read many articles about people weight training and not getting anywhere and end up just wasting their sessions , I dont wanna be one of those guys, I want to progress...... so any tips,if you have better routines whatever, I like to read em.

Thanks
          had to wait to link my routine needed 5 posts lol
          [url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/routine/?id=1590[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X