Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyweight exercises for a guy with back problems

Hi -

I'm 34, started lifting weights for the first time with any consistancy about 6 mos ago. A few times I have had to take breaks for weeks at a time to recover from back pulls/strains and it's becoming to the point where I feel that I have to swear off weights all together, I can't put things in my life on hold for 1-2 mos at a time because I jacked my bacvk up again. I have looked at different resources to clean up my form but I'm at the point where I have had to decide it's just not for me. I think I want to swith o a routine of body weight exercises. Does anyone know of a good 3 day a week routine?

Thanks-
    -R

I think you need to find the source of your back problem. Is there a preexisting injury, compressed or fractured disc or if you are like me and have a weak back, you just get sore easily. I have a strong upper back but I am very weak and terrible flexibility in my lower back. This is because I neglected lower back exercises up until the last year. So squats, bent over rows and even crunches make my back really tight. But since I started doing deep squats and not using weight to the point I have to cheat, my back has got stronger and a little more flexible. It also recovers much quicker. Look up dynamic stretches for the back and hamstrings online and once you get a little more flexible the back soreness should fade to the point that it is not crippling. Look for videos from Mark Rippetoe on how do do exercises properly also. His deep squats have helped a lot in increasing my ROM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAPutzback View Post
      I think you need to find the source of your back problem. Is there a preexisting injury, compressed or fractured disc or if you are like me and have a weak back, you just get sore easily. I have a strong upper back but I am very weak and terrible flexibility in my lower back. This is because I neglected lower back exercises up until the last year. So squats, bent over rows and even crunches make my back really tight. But since I started doing deep squats and not using weight to the point I have to cheat, my back has got stronger and a little more flexible. It also recovers much quicker. Look up dynamic stretches for the back and hamstrings online and once you get a little more flexible the back soreness should fade to the point that it is not crippling. Look for videos from Mark Rippetoe on how do do exercises properly also. His deep squats have helped a lot in increasing my ROM.

Hey thanks for the feedback. As far as the back issues, this is now ancient history but for a few years I practiced brazilain jiu jitsu where disc problems are fairly common. When you do that you have all kinds of aches and pains and it's just kind of a constant thing that you ignore. When I stopped training the one that didn't go away was my lower back. As I'm getting into my mid 30s I am a little less flexible than before and pull muscles easier. I was on a schedule of compound exercises more recently with a fair amount of olympic lifts but with more focus on reps than weight. What got me last time was 3 12 rep sets of 135 deadlifts. Now I was doing them specifically thinking it would strengthen my lower back, but I'm really just experimenting with this stuff and looking for something that works. I was going to take it weeasy for another week and head back to the gym for a schedule of body weight exercises and hope they are better for me. I'll check out what you suggested- wish me luck!

Comment

Working...
      X