Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many reps?

Hey everyone im new around here

Ive noticed with the user made routines there is no where telling you how many reps you are supposed to be doing with each set.

Can someone enlighten me?

How many reps?

Hi Callum,

First can I ask what it is you want to do? Put on some mass or loss some fat?
    Once you tell me this I can try to help you.

Regards

Jay

Comment

Callum, there are many routines out there so the question you are asking cannot be answered. Different exercise, different amount of reps, different amount of sets; just too hard to answer easily. And it is NOT as easy as what you want to do.

To gain strength typically you want to do heavy weight with lower reps. Many strengthening exercises use a 5x5 set up, but again other strengthening exercises don't. If you are looking to lose some fat then it isn't a matter of just how much you lift or how many reps but what you eat and how much cardio you are doing. And then there is genetics; how does YOUR body react to exercise and what benefits you more. That many times is trial and error; what works for somebody else may not work for you.

Comment

I'm looking to put on lean muscle. I don't need to lose any body fat so that part is already done. I have been lifting for awhile now but I'm looking to be more effective with my lifting to see better results quicker

Comment

Form is everything!

Hi Callum,

First thing you should do is work on your form without good form you will only see min gains, There are 3 phases (1 Positive) this should be a bang and up it goes. Lifting is the weakest phase of the movement. (2 Static) when you stop at the top of the movement you should hold for a 1-2 count this is the strongest phase. (3 Negative) The way down or lowering of the weight should be slow and control'd this movement is the most important part of the rep. Not alot of people know this but more muscle damage occurs during negative movement. when positive has failed negative still has strength.

To get max gains you first need to train to failure on all three of these points.
          Try this out for 6 weeks and get back to me.

Regards

Jay

Comment

Thank you Jay
            I will give that a go and see how it is

Comment

Originally posted by jay.savery View Post
              First thing you should do is work on your form without good form you will only see min gains, There are 3 phases (1 Positive) this should be a bang and up it goes. Lifting is the weakest phase of the movement. (2 Static) when you stop at the top of the movement you should hold for a 1-2 count this is the strongest phase. (3 Negative) The way down or lowering of the weight should be slow and control'd this movement is the most important part of the rep. Not alot of people know this but more muscle damage occurs during negative movement. when positive has failed negative still has strength.
              You want to train your muscles the way you want them to react. If you lift "slow" then your muscle will be slow. If you lift "explosive" with control and good form then your muscles will react the same way. This is the difference in the last years as compared to many years ago where everybody said lift slower is better. However Jay is correct, when lowering you want to lower slower as during the negative lift you get your most benefit. In fact there are many programs designed around negative lifting only however you need 1 if not 2 spotters. The growth is huge.

To get max gains you first need to train to failure on all three of these points.
              I don't necessarily agree with this. Going to failure is not a bad thing, I am going to failure on my last lift following Dorian Yates's Blood & Guts Routine. However going to failure will see more size growth then strength. Body builders go to failure as give the best gains. Strength lifters however don't necessarily. Many strength lifting programs have you lift and then wait up to 5 minutes before lifting your next rep to ensure you are fully recovered and have the most strength. And when lifting you will lift to the point where you know you have 1 to 2 more left but you don't. This ensures that you don't burn yourself out; again making sure for each lift you have all of your strength available.

Both methods you will gain size and strength, don't get me wrong. However one will lean more towards strength while the other will lead more towards muscle growth. And we know that muscle size does not translate to muscle strength. So depending on what you are looking for then you need to chose for yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X