Lifting on my own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting on my own

The last time I had a consistent workout plan was about two years ago working out with a personal trainer so I always had someone to help spot me. Recently I started a new fitness plan but without a spotter, I'm having trouble getting in those last 1 or 2 reps of my set and I'm just now getting that sore muscle feeling the day after that you get with someone helping me push it to the limit. Any suggestions? Its kind of hard for me to find someone to workout with because I'm a senior in high-school and I only have 3 hours of school so I get out early and hit the gym at about 1

By the way I don't know if this is necessary but I'm 17, 6' 0" about 180lbs aprox 10% body fat (all in front of my abs and chest.
    Last edited by jakehewitt526; 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM.

Ask around your school. I enjoy working out alone, but I know what you mean about having a spotter. I used to work out with a few friends and it does help.

Can't get those last two reps? Lower the weight by 5-10 pounds and do 4 more reps if you can.

Comment

Working out alone is possible but you would need the necessary equipment to do so. Machines are an excellent means of working out alone as they are predefined movements and come with safety features that will allow you to get those last lifts to go to failure; should that be your goal. I personally workout alone with both machines and free weights as I've invested in good equipment. I own a Northern Lights Olympic Incline/Decline Bench with the "safety spotters" that should I drop the bar while lifting it will protect me from getting crushed.

To be honest, the best means is with somebody. They can not only spot you but also push you for even 1 or more reps after you think you've went to failure. Unfortunately for many of us this is not possible. So many times I have wanted to work with others but they either have high hopes they will start or those that do start don't last. Commitment is difficult for many and why those that lift for long periods of time are a small percentage.

Jake, you are young and I would look for somebody to work with over working out alone as you will pick up many bad habits that will be hard to break when older if you continue to lift. I periodically need to work with somebody to correct little things from time to time. Good luck to you.

Comment

I never workout with anyone, even though my gym has 100-200 people in it most times I am there. I prefer it this way, but I understand what you mean. I have never found it a problem to get a great workout in. If you are concerned about getting the last one or two reps in that you couldn't do on your own, you can always stop at that last rep on your own, drop a little weight, and do one or two more reps. Alternatively (and even more beneficial), you could just do an additional dropset and really burn your muscles hard.

Another idea, which is what I do, is to skip the barbells and do only dumbbell workouts. I prefer dumbbells because it ensures that you are working your body symmetrically and helps develop better muscle control and coordination. You may be surprised to find that you will have a couple of movements that you can do one or more additional reps on one side of your body. For me, when I first started doing dumbbell curls, I could do 3-4 more reps on my left arm than on my right and that my left arm was larger in diameter than my right. What was most confusing is that I am right handed.

Comment

Originally posted by dTor View Post
          For me, when I first started doing dumbbell curls, I could do 3-4 more reps on my left arm than on my right and that my left arm was larger in diameter than my right. What was most confusing is that I am right handed.
          I also found the same thing. Right arm larger and my dominant arm however could lift more with my left.

Comment

Working...
          X