Vegan Nutrition for Building Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan Nutrition for Building Muscle

Many years ago I spent a two-year stint with veganism, but wasn't on a consistent fitness regimen at the time -I eventually returned to an omnivore diet for a variety of reasons. I started meal prepping consistently in January this year, and figured it would be easy to go vegan again since I'm prepping all my food anyway. Right now, my goals are to build muscle and maintain my body fat percentage at 15 - 18%. I'm aiming for a protein/fat/carb ratio of 30%/30%/40%, and my calories are at about 2400/day.

I'm curious to know what foods vegans bodybuilders are relying on that have the highest ratio of protein grams per calorie. In particular, foods that don't contain soy, since I'm trying to get a wider variety of protein sources in my diet. Here's what I've put in my meal plans so far:

Tempeh
    Super-firm tofu
    Edamame
    Rice protein powder
    Pea protein powder
    Powdered peanut butter*
    Quorn brand products

I also found this nifty tool on the USDA website that lets you search foods by nutrition content: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index

Also curious if folks recommend a specific probiotic to help with transitioning from an omnivore diet to a vegan diet -I've been pretty gassy the past few days XD.

*Re: powdered peanut butter, I realize the regular stuff has beneficial fats, so I'll probably switch back to that, but it was a fun high-protein experiment while it lasted.

The 3 first on your list are all different soy product. I try to eat 4vegan meals a week I'm using the regular tofu but black bean are real good for protein also. The VEGA brand protein powder is damn good and I would only buy that if money wasnt a problem. Wish it help!

Comment

Hey Virginia, congrats on your vegan journey! I wen't vegan 5 years ago after seeing Frank Medrano on youtube and I can honestly say it was the best decision I've ever made, both in terms of my health and my impact on the environment and animals.

After doing a lot of research (this article https://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html was particularly helpful) I stopped worrying too much about protein intake and just focused on eating more whole, plant based food. The results have been pretty solid. But if you are worried about protein I would definitely recommend slowly introducing more beans into your diet - if you take it slow and add a little more each day your microbiome will adapt and gassiness will decline.

There are so many incredible vegan bodybuilders and athletes out there to learn from. Some of my favourites are:
      Nimai Delgado - his Generation V podcast has a ton of great health advice.
      Brian Turner - Youtuber
      Derek Simnett - youtuber with an emphasis on calisthenics training.
      Bianca Taylor

Comment

Hey there Virginia!

I see this is an older thread, and I hope you found some answers already. If you haven't I know I have found a lot of help on YouTube of all places.

The poster above mentioned Derek Simnett and I agree. He is AMAZING! He has a ton of info on his page all broken down in easy to understand bites (so to speak?) As a nutritionist, he knows what he is talking about, so I really learned from him.

Another one I learned from is Natalie Matthews. She is a vegan Pro Bikini competitor, as well as a chef, so her meals and foods are well thought out and planned. Everything I have tried from both of them has been great!

Hopefully you have done well!

Comment

Working...
        X