Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year In.

Hello Lads,

In the beginning of this year I realized that I was quite overweight and unhealthy and decided to turn my life around. I used to be the type of person that constantly eats junk food, take no notice of calories or macros, and not train at all. My job doesn't help (IT Tech) as it consists on mostly work behind the desk job.

These are my stats as of January 2018;

Weight: 83 KG,
    Body-Fat: (around 25% Approximate)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Stats as of today (21/12/1; (Measurements taken with Xiaomi Mi Scale 2)

Weight: 63 KG,
    Body-Fat: 18.3 %
    Protein - 180 G

I first started by doing Body-weight HIIT Workout - 30 mins Daily - For around 3 months, until i dropped to circa 70 KG. Afterward I enrolled in a local gym and started weightlifting, High Reps low volume (until i got used to proper movement of workouts and let my body get used to the change). Currently I've been 2 months, lifting for hypertrophy, pushing it all out and including changes such as different workouts, and techniques (drop sets, reverse pyramid, mind muscle connection, time under tension and so on).

Throughout my journey I also used supplements to help out a bit the following is what I used

Daily

- Vitamin D + Multi Vitamins
    -Fish Oil
    - Protein Powder

Cutting Phase:
    - CLA + Green Tea
    - BCAA
    - L-Carnitine
    - Glutamine

Bulking Phase:
    - BCAA
    - Creatine
    - Glutamine
    - Z.M.A

My current goal is to bulk up to circa 65-70 KG and then go on a good cut before the summer. Im trying to mostly bulk on "Clean Foods" although i still enjoy my weekly cheat Meal or two !

I am having a slight problem tho as although im eating quite a lot (sometimes force myself to) i still cant bulk up! i stay the same weight or even loose weight sometimes. When i am +2kg in weight i mostly loose it after a day or two since its mostly water weight.

I know that the simple answer is to increase calories slightly (by circa 200 cals) but do you think io should eat more calorie dense foods such as, Mass gainer instead of whey protein, and more fats/carbs?

Do you have any tips / comments which could hep me out?
    Attached Files

Hi brother,

first of all congrats on such a great transformation.
    Your issue is your body fat %. In order to add decent lean muscle you need to keep your body fat below 12%. If i were you i would get below 10% body fat then increase my calories slowly month on month. You will add muscle but it is a super slow process. "bulking" is an outdated method and makes no sense. you only need to eat a few hundred calories above maintenance in order to gain muscle.

Originally posted by buhagiar.j View Post
    Hello Lads,

In the beginning of this year I realized that I was quite overweight and unhealthy and decided to turn my life around. I used to be the type of person that constantly eats junk food, take no notice of calories or macros, and not train at all. My job doesn't help (IT Tech) as it consists on mostly work behind the desk job.

These are my stats as of January 2018;

Weight: 83 KG,
    Body-Fat: (around 25% Approximate)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Stats as of today (21/12/1; (Measurements taken with Xiaomi Mi Scale 2)

Weight: 63 KG,
    Body-Fat: 18.3 %
    Protein - 180 G

I first started by doing Body-weight HIIT Workout - 30 mins Daily - For around 3 months, until i dropped to circa 70 KG. Afterward I enrolled in a local gym and started weightlifting, High Reps low volume (until i got used to proper movement of workouts and let my body get used to the change). Currently I've been 2 months, lifting for hypertrophy, pushing it all out and including changes such as different workouts, and techniques (drop sets, reverse pyramid, mind muscle connection, time under tension and so on).

Throughout my journey I also used supplements to help out a bit the following is what I used

Daily

- Vitamin D + Multi Vitamins
    -Fish Oil
    - Protein Powder

Cutting Phase:
    - CLA + Green Tea
    - BCAA
    - L-Carnitine
    - Glutamine

Bulking Phase:
    - BCAA
    - Creatine
    - Glutamine
    - Z.M.A

My current goal is to bulk up to circa 65-70 KG and then go on a good cut before the summer. Im trying to mostly bulk on "Clean Foods" although i still enjoy my weekly cheat Meal or two !

I am having a slight problem tho as although im eating quite a lot (sometimes force myself to) i still cant bulk up! i stay the same weight or even loose weight sometimes. When i am +2kg in weight i mostly loose it after a day or two since its mostly water weight.

I know that the simple answer is to increase calories slightly (by circa 200 cals) but do you think io should eat more calorie dense foods such as, Mass gainer instead of whey protein, and more fats/carbs?

Do you have any tips / comments which could hep me out?

Comment

sigh.........Bulking is not outdated and it does make sense if you are doing it for the right reason and doing it correctly, ask any Bodybuilder or powerlifter or crossfitter, but he is correct that not much more calories need to be added. But you do need to make them good calories, I would suggest a Mass Gainer (like RivalUS Clean gainer) its good clean carbs and fats and proteins.

Try something like that, at least you know exactly what your macros will be and it is easy to eat and digest and its clean eating.

I use RivalUS because I know what I am getting is clean and its exactly 560 Calories for 2 scoops with water.

Any questions just ask.

Comment

Nope... Bulking is outdated. Bulking 500 calories and above maintenance is pointless as you will add extra body fat which is not required.
        Eating in a surplus of around 150 cals to 200 calories max a day is how it should be done. If you ask any bodybuilder - you'll get a tun of bro science and conflicting info. Most are on Roids and will gain no matter what they eat. Powerlifters - their goal is purely strength so they will eat in a massive surplus to get as strong and big as physically possible so they can pull more weight. And crossfit? are you kidding me?! you'll ask advice from people who do kipping pull ups and deadlifts for reps.

Originally posted by nickmass View Post
        sigh.........Bulking is not outdated and it does make sense if you are doing it for the right reason and doing it correctly, ask any Bodybuilder or powerlifter or crossfitter, but he is correct that not much more calories need to be added. But you do need to make them good calories, I would suggest a Mass Gainer (like RivalUS Clean gainer) its good clean carbs and fats and proteins.

Try something like that, at least you know exactly what your macros will be and it is easy to eat and digest and its clean eating.

I use RivalUS because I know what I am getting is clean and its exactly 560 Calories for 2 scoops with water.

Any questions just ask.

Comment

Working...
        X