Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my workout routine?

Dear People of JEFIT,

I am a 16 year old live on the northeast. Recentley I have started trying to lose some fat and gain some muscle. Im fairly tall (6 foot) and weigh about 140. This might seem really skinny (and that is what i am usually called) but I spent too much time in front of the computer and a have a pretty flabby stomach and obliques. I wanna lose this and basically just get in good shape. I've started to eat a bit healthier and I am 1 week into my workout routine. My routine is as follows:
    Mon: 2-3 mile run in the morning (about 9-10 min miles right now)
    Tues: 2-3 mile run in the morning (about 9-10 min miles right now)
    Weds:go to the gym and do bench press - sit-ups- upper body pull machine - legs machine - curls - water break. (and repeat for about a total of 25 mins gym time.
    Thurs: 2-3 mile run in the morning (about 9-10 min miles right now)
    Fri: 2-3 mile run in the morning (about 9-10 min miles right now)
    Sat: same gym routine... slowly upping the weight when i can
    Sun: rest day

Is this optimal to lose fat (especially from the stomach) and gain muscle?

Thanks so much for your input!

- Eric

p.s. these capchas are ridicouous

Well you'll certainly lose fat with that amount of cardio i doubt i could run half that distance in 2 months let alone a week haha

It's really hard to lose fat AND build muscle, to build muscle you have to eat alot of calories and lift alot of heavy weights, to lose fat it's less calories and alot of cardio

Comment

So do you think that i shud just cut the weight lifting and focus on the cardio for now? Keep eating healthy and lose the extra fat.... and then start focusing on muscle and start eating more?

Comment

If you do that, chances are you'll put the fat back on while bulking purely from the amount you'll need to eat, bulk up, then when your at a size your happy with, lose any excess fat and tone up.

Work out your BMR (you can find lots of calculators on the net)
        This will tell you how much you need to eat to maintain your weight, then you wanna slowly add another 500 or so until your gaining the weight to add muscle

If you get your calories from healthy foods etc you shouldn't add much if any fat as you bulk

So focus on the weight lifting and drop most of the cardio (but not all)

Comment

First off, welcome to the site!

Originally posted by plubber View Post
          So do you think that i shud just cut the weight lifting and focus on the cardio for now? Keep eating healthy and lose the extra fat.... and then start focusing on muscle and start eating more?
          Now to tackle your goals. Forget the losing fat part. Just erase that from your mind for now. You're not fat. A quick BMI says 19% body fat which is well within normal. You CANNOT spot treat fat. Doesn't work that way.

We need to get some mass on you first. After that, you can cut to gain some definition if you like. That said your current routine; forget that too. Here's a good starter plan: [url]http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2909[/url]

With that routine, you can do whatever ab & cardio work you want on the designated days. You seem to like to run (or punish yourself; not sure). This routine will let you keep that cardio while adding in some real gym work.

I only translated the routine from another site in to JEFIT (link in description) and added in abs & cardio. But I used this plan for around 6 weeks with great results. I (and many others) highly recommend you start there. Do NOT tweak it. You're a beginner. Use it as a learning experience. Even if you choose not to use this plan, find another beginner plan and use it.

A good routine is only half the battle. Go figure out your BMR -> [url]http://www.bmrcalculator.org/[/url]. You must eat and eat right. For you, you're probably looking at ~2600-2800 calories a day. Spread 'em out through 6 meals. Also grab an app called My Fitness Pal. It's a great app for logging food intake.

ANy other questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Thanks for your replies!

I am definitely more interested in losing the fat than gaining the muscle. Running fits very well into my daily routine but going to the gym is not as easy, plus I generally enjoy running more (although I used to hate it so much... don't know why I like it now). I realize I am not "fat" and most people would classify me as skinny, but I would seriously prefer to have a bit less fat on my obliques and abdominal.

In the past I haven't had much luck with weight lifting, I went about 3-4 times a week for a month or two and hardly noticed any differences in my body (at least not visually). Sadly I do not have any weights at my house and would not be able to complete the workout routine you linked

I have a pretty skinny build but I have this annoying layer of fat that hides and muscle gain.

My goal: lose fat from around my stomach. What is the optimal way to accomplish this.

my bmr is: 1709 Calories, using the calculator you linked to me.

Thanks again for all of your advice

EDIT: If I was to buy some freeweights could I complete the routine that you linked and just continue my normal running routine? Also would I need to get multiple weights or just one?
            Last edited by plubber; 07-23-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plubber View Post
              In the past I haven't had much luck with weight lifting, I went about 3-4 times a week for a month or two and hardly noticed any differences in my body (at least not visually).
              It may have been the routine you were doing. You're 16. Your body is prime for changing.

My goal: lose fat from around my stomach. What is the optimal way to accomplish this.
              Watch your diet. But again, you can't spot treat fat.

EDIT: If I was to buy some freeweights could I complete the routine that you linked and just continue my normal running routine? Also would I need to get multiple weights or just one?
              Absolutely! You can sub dumbbells in for most exercises.

Comment

Working...
              X