Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Off" Day Exercises

Hey guys -

I'm currently on a 3 day a week routine (Mon - Back & Bi's, Wed - Chest & Tri's, Fri - Leg's & Shoulders). I don't do cardio on workout days, but have started doing 30 minutes of cardio on "off" days. So my question is, if I were to do just one single exercise on those off days, what would give me the most bang for my buck. Or, is it better to just leave the days alone with just cardio?

Thanks for the advice!

On my off days I like to do a couple of light lifts of whatever I'm doing the next day. So Tues is Biceps, Back for me so on Monday I might do a drop set of bicep curls, some rows, and some lat pulldowns. I feel like it loosens me up a little bit and keeps my muscles working. It's important to remember that these are "rest" days not free days, so if you're sore let your body recover, and if you do lift, keep it light.

Comment

Work on your core... it will help you with your form on other days, improve your posture, flatten your belly and help prevent injuries such as back problems (by improving your core stability).

Comment

@OptikaNET I second that! Didn't even hit me to say it, but work your core for sure. I try to every day.

Comment

Great advice guys! Thanks! I didn't even think of my core, shame on me! I do abs at the end of every workout but abs don't necessarily mean core. I'm going to look up some good core moves (probably some yoga/Pilates) but since I've got you guys here, any core favorites you use? (and can I possibly use the word "core" any more in that paragraph?!)

Comment

I really feel that Jefit should have more core exercises in its database, but you can't go wrong with the plank. There are various ways of doing it too... plank on elbows, in press up position, on one leg, on one leg with opposite arm raised, side plank (referered to as side bridge in Jefit's database), plank on stability ball etc.

Incidentally, any time in the gym that you find yourself sitting around between reps or resting because you are tired, sit on a stability ball and rotate your hips in a circle one way and the other. Great for core strength and makes use of lag time in the gym (and stops you feeling guilty for not working harder!), the only disadvantage is that it doesn't look very masculine!!!

Kind Regards
            Dave

Comment

Try to work abs and core on different days. Gives each a day's rest...

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
                Try to work abs and core on different days. Gives each a day's rest...
                Can you explain what you definition of core and abs are?

Comment

Well, the definitions are a little fuzzy and there are crossovers, but...

Abs exercises work the Rectis Abdominis muscles and the Obliques. Core exercises work the Transversus muscles which is the sheet of muscle that lies underneath the Rectis Abdominis and whose fibres run at 90 degrees to the abdominals.

The abdominals are involved in curling the upper part of the chest to the hip (and vice versa), the Obliques are involved in twisting the trunk. The Transversus muscles pull the stomach inward and act to stabilise the trunk during exercise. This is why abdominals exercises may give you a firm stomach but won't give you a flat stomach whereas the Transversus muscles can because their fibres run forward and backward instead of up and down or left to right.

All the core exercises I can think of tend to by Isomorphic contractions and can't really be done with weight.

Abdominals exercises are often included with core exercises in "Core" or "Pilates" classes, but they are not really "core" at all, although they are important stability muscles all the same.

A final note, when working abdominals, don't forget to work their antagonists - the Erector Spinae (lower back - the ridges either side of your spine just above the buttocks). These are very important stabilising muscles and can help prevent back troubles later in life if properly exercised. Working abs without working the lower back can cause a mismatch in strength which will pull the spine out of alignment and lead to lower back pain and slipped disks...

Kind Regards
                  Dave

PS. Muscle name spellings may be inaccurate, but the names are correct.

Comment

I'm no expert on kinesiology/physiology, but traverse abdominis is part of the "ab" group (given the name).

Seems like if you want to hit the muscles you mentioned, you could hit them all with squats & deadlifts. They are not isolated, but it would hit each of the ones you mention with a single exercise. Not saying that ab exercises have no place. Just stating that "core" & "abs" usually end up being worked together in most exercise sets.

My $.02 on the subject.

Comment

Thanks OptikaNET & utefaninutah for actually providing valuable tips to my question. As I'm not a power lifter, nor do I want to be, low impact (ie. yoga/pilates) routines seem to be the best way to go on those days where I'm not lifting. Sitting in an office chair all day can't be great on my spine so these ideas for strengthening my core are exactly what I need to do.
                      I also understand that the various routines that I do throughout the week work other muscles that I'm not specifically targeting that particular day. That being said, I will continue to work on abs, as much as I would work on biceps despite the fact that they are worked during a bench press.
                      Thank you gentlemen for the advice! I will let you know how it's going in a couple of weeks!

Comment

Ab & cardio work aren't a bad thing to include on "off days". Though you can hardly call them an off day if you work out.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviation View Post
                          Ab & cardio work aren't a bad thing to include on "off days". Though you can hardly call them an off day if you work out.
                          Haha, exactly! That's why I don't want anything real high impact. A little cardio, a little stretching with purpose - good stuff (I hope at least)

Comment

I do running for 30 minute. Running is best exercise for weight lose. it is good for fat burning . It increases our stamina and we can get a better shape with it. I suggest everyone to do it in your off day exercises.

Comment

Working...
                            X