How do you record dumbbell exercises vs. barbell exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you record dumbbell exercises vs. barbell exercises

For example, for barbell bench, 150lbs is 150lbs But for dumbbell bench, do you record it as 75lb, or 150lb? What about bicep curls, lateral raises, etc?
    .................................................. .................................................. .........................

I personally log what i lift for each arm just makes things easier when working out your weights etc
    so if lifting 40kg both together log it as 20

Comment

Originally posted by mrwright View Post
      I personally log what i lift for each arm just makes things easier when working out your weights etc
      so if lifting 40kg both together log it as 20
      Same here.

Comment

For me it depends on the lift. If I'm doing a Dumbbell Concentrated Curl I will record my results as one arm as I am lifting one arm at a time (same as Dumbbell One-Arm Rows, etc.). If I'm doing the Incline Dumbbell Incline Bench Press I will record my results with the combined weight as I'm lifting them at the same time (same for Dumbbell Flies, Dumbbell Lateral Raises, Dumbbell Bent-Over Delt Raises, etc.)

This just makes more sense for me. If lifting a weight with one arm for a set and then switching to the other arm and repeating; then record weight as a per arm bases. If lifting a weight with both arms at the same time for a set then record as a combined weight.

To make it easier for determining the amount of weights I need, I made my self a chart in increments of 5 lbs. with the total combined weight and what one arm would be so I can easily glance to make things easier then dividing or multiplying in my head.

Comment

I guess it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. I always log the number on the dumbbell even if I am moving 2 of them at once. The same for dual cable machine exercises - log the number on the stack.

Comment

Originally posted by tjwood View Post
            I guess it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent.
            Pretty much.

Comment

I just do the weight of the one dumbell. But yeah just stick with one way and you won't get confused.

Comment

Much of a muchness I suppose if it doesn't make a difference to how much you lift.

For dumbells though I go by the weight of each dumbbell so record 10k (weight of dumbbell) rather than 20k (weight of both). Saves me having to divide by two each time to go back down to the weight of the individual dumbbell.

Barbell. Just record the weight of the barbell.

Comment

Working...
                X