post workout eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post workout eating?

I workout about 5 times a week, sometimes twice a day. What are good foods/snacks to eat before and after a good workout?

For pre-workout you can try a whey protein shake or maybe a slice of bread with PB. Keep it simple if it's within 30-45 mins of exercise.

For cardio days, I like to get in some simple carbs and B vitamins to help keep me going. Gatorade makes a decent product called Prime 01. Similar to gel pacs if you've used those. Bit more like a juice shot.

Post workout I use protein shake mixed with creatine and waxy maize (ON Glyco-Maize). The maize and creatine have been a big help for me with recovery.

I snack on raw almonds, unsalted peanuts, rice cakes throughout the day.

Comment

What do people think of chocolate as a post-workout food? I've read a number of articles recently advocating it as a high energy recovery fuel. I'm dubious myself...

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
        What do people think of chocolate as a post-workout food? I've read a number of articles recently advocating it as a high energy recovery fuel. I'm dubious myself...

Kind Regards
        Dave
        Well given that it's packed with simple carbs, I'm sure it would help. Chocolate milk is actually a better way to go.

That said, I eat dark chocolate every night. Not an entire bar. A couple squares of Lindt 86% is plenty for me.

Comment

Dark chocolate is suposed to be good for ya, can't remember why

Pork scratchings if you have them in USA full of protein and good fats

Comment

Originally posted by mrwright View Post
            Dark chocolate is suposed to be good for ya, can't remember why

Pork scratchings if you have them in USA full of protein and good fats
            Antioxidants in dark chocolate. Plus its lower in calories than milk chocolate.

We have pork rinds which seem similar. Can't say that they are good for ya though. Pretty salty.

Comment

More than that, chocolate contains stimulants which help with tiredness (including a caffeine-analogue, which is why it's dangerous to give to dogs), and I seem to recall some studies suggesting there were hormonal precursors in chocolate which can help boost levels of anabolic hormones, but I don't know any detail about that.

On the other hand, Chocolate is essentially a solid sol, a suspension of cocoa solids in cocoa-butter, and cocoa-butter is fat!!! And if it's milk-chocolate then it also contains animal fats and cholesterol!!! Not to mention large amounts of refined sugars causing insulin spiking and promoting diabetes!!! (I've never really understood the science behind Insulin as an anabolic hormone - does its beneficial effects in body-building outweigh the damage caused to the over-stressed pancreas Never seen an article clearly addressing this position).

Kind Regards
              Dave

Comment

Or you could just keep it simple and say "eating chocolate makes me happy".

Comment

That too!!! Damned stuff is addictive though...

Comment

High in antioxidants

Comment

1 scoop of whey protein 45 min before + baked potato(if you want extra carbs). an apple or any type of fruit plus another scoop of whey after.

Comment

Working...
                      X