How much is too much in a Protein Shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much in a Protein Shake

When I first started drinking protein shakes it was either milk and protein or water and protein. Over the past couple years I have slowly ventured into adding more things to it. Frozen fruit or even bananas. Then I ventured even more and started putting a little bit of oats or maybe peanut butter into the shake. Of course, the way I am, its just never enough so I went a step further with some greek yogurt and a little flax seed.

My protein shake this morning consisted of this (and I dont measure any of it, I just eyeball it because I have figured out what works): Frozen berries, protein powder, flax seed, oats, milk, honey, creatine powder, and greek yogurt.

As I sit here and drink it, I feel like it has become too much and it may start to become pointless to drink it becuse there is just so much in it. I like the taste but I fear that with all that stuff in it, it is becoming pointless because all the ingredients are contradicting the benefits of having them in my shake.

I am just curious if I really am putting too much or if this is normal. Any advice and opinions would be great. I have given thought to just going back to the regular protein and milk/water, I usually drink about 1-2 like that a day anyways so what would one more hurt.

As long as you're not trying to restrict your carbs (which seem a little heavy in there), I don't see any problem with what you are doing at all.

Kind Regards
    Dave

Comment

I have never liked the taste of commercial protein shakes personally. I tend to stick to chocolate (which seems the least awful) but sometimes I conceal the taste by adding coffee to make a sort of mocha shake.

Have to be careful there, if using creatine, because caffeine reduces the effectiveness of creatine (so you need to use decaff coffee on those occasions).

Kind Regards
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
        As long as you're not trying to restrict your carbs (which seem a little heavy in there), I don't see any problem with what you are doing at all.

Kind Regards
        Dave
        Not really counting carbs, I don't know too much about that yet, but I am researching it.

Comment

Originally posted by OptikaNET View Post
          I have never liked the taste of commercial protein shakes personally. I tend to stick to chocolate (which seems the least awful) but sometimes I conceal the taste by adding coffee to make a sort of mocha shake.

Have to be careful there, if using creatine, because caffeine reduces the effectiveness of creatine (so you need to use decaff coffee on those occasions).

Kind Regards
          Dave
          It took me some trial and error to find a protein shake that was to my likings and the Syntha-6 from BSN is phenomenal as far as taste. Not a coffee drinker at all, I grew up my whole life smelling coffee throughout my house, my parents were avid coffee drinkers and that pretty much ruined coffee for me. I cannot stand coffee. But to each their own and that is good piece of info that I can pass along to any other coffee drinkers.

For a dessert shake I tend to mix milk, protein and maybe a reeses peanut butter cup in the blender and that is pretty good in itself.

Comment

Working...
          X