PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Vitamins

tjwood
05-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Devil's advocate maybe but how about a healthy balanced diet?

I'm quite into cooking so like to prepare good food for myself rather than eating processed crap then filling out the missing vitamins with supplements.

dTor
05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I eat a balanced, mostly home cooked food diet. Most people can still benefit from a good multi-vitamin, as it is very difficult to get every nutrient your body needs through diet alone.

With that being said, I take either GNC Megaman Sport or Puritan's Pride Ultra Vita Man. They are almost identical, so I just get whichever one is on sale at the time I need to order some.

thejuggernaut
05-11-2011, 10:50 AM
My personal favourite is Progressive multivitamins. They're quite comprehensive. What's most useful is that they have specific forumals based upon gender and age, which is nice. Most of their products just seem to be all-round well formulated. I take their fish oil, too. It has a blend of 6 varieties of fish, and I was told that they take it from the smaller samples to prevent bioaccumulation? I would have to check that, though. They've also got Vegegreens, which is a good green foods blend. In terms of general nutrition these products are all a winner in my mind.
Not to sound like a sales rep for them, but if you want to check them out, here's their site.
http://www.progressivenutritional.com/#/home

The Animal Pak and Animal products in general seem bloody good, though. Especially directed at bodybuilders. When I tried them out, there seemed to be a lot of pressed pills, though. Wouldn't they benefit from going to vegetable caps? Either way, they do their job. I've seen some friends do well with their "pump" stack (creatine + energy).

bcyoung321
05-12-2011, 12:18 AM
I take Opti-Men vitamin from Optimum Nutrition …animal pack it good but it’s way too many pills (makes me feel like a pill popper)and for omega 3’s I take raw flax seeds and grind them up in a coffee grinder. It’s cheaper and I hear it holds more nutrition the flax meal.

thejuggernaut
05-12-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm waiting for someone to say "Centrum" :rolleyes:

dTor
05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I forgot to mention I also take a fish oil pills as well... 500 mg/day if I'm not mistaken.

shinobi07
06-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I was wondering if any of you gentlemen, have review the multivitamin benchmark? It scores vitamins on their absorbtion rate. Gnc vitamins scored about 30%,animal stack at about 75%,and life extension at 95%. Now life extension,costs up the @ss,but animal stack is a bit more do-able. Your thought? Is it worth it for life extension? I sweat and work quite a bit,and then train in jujitsu and muay thai,prepping for a tournement soon.

LOSTintheSAUCE
06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
GNC Extreme Athlete (6pills)

***Pic quality isn't very good but I blame GNC's website :)

Deviation
06-11-2011, 01:23 AM
A balanced, healthy diet is all well and good if you're just going about your day. If your doing any sort of real workout (read: not just a treadmill walk once a week), a good multi-vitamin will help fill in any holes.

I've been taking a regular multi-vitamin, but I'm getting ready to switch. I'm cheap (as I've stated in a few posts) so I wanted to finish off what I had. I will be using GNC MegaMen Sport as I've used them in the past with good results. If you catch them on sale, its not bad. I also take glucosamine & chondroitin, extra vitamin d, extra vitamin c, and extra b-complex. I need to look into the joint compounds a little more. ...once I run out of my current supply. ;)

What is this vitamin benchmark thing? Sounds like sales propaganda. Any links?

shinobi07
06-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Hmmm I have never heard of Life Extension before but if they indeed have a rating like that for their product, they have to be worth it. But more or less the thing is, what are you willing to spend on your multivitamins and for the type of product you are getting. The one thing that I usually look at is how many that I am getting in the package along with the serving size and the price that you pay. If you only get 15 servings for like 40$ then that is never worth it at all but if you can get around 40-50 servings for 20-30$ you cant beat that.

For myself and when taking Animal Pak, I usually take 2 packs a day for the amount of training that I am doing and the intensity of my workouts in which the back of the pack states that if you are a serious bodybuilder or train heavily you need to take 2 packs per day. If you take 2 per day, then the serving size is around 22 days or so but if you take 1 pack a day it lasts for around 44 days but the amount of ingredients and minerals you get is phenomenal. Also Amazon sells the packs for 20$ and even 2 day shipping free at times.

I have never gone with GNC vitamins but with a rating/review like that, doesn't seem worth the price you are paying. What you want to see is that your hard earned dollar is going to a product that will benefit you and not just seem like a placebo with no effects at all.

Valuable input my friend,thanks!

And gimme a few mins,ill drop the link here in a few.

shinobi07
06-11-2011, 02:03 AM
http://www.multivitaminguide.org/comparison-of-top-multivitamins.html

Here,the full list should be somewhere on that site. I had a printed 10pg or so paper given to me by a friend at work. There wasn't a workscited on the printed page,so ni just googled it.

Deviation
06-11-2011, 03:19 AM
The site seems a little suspect to me. Couple of reasons:

No author named/mentioned
No cited references
Owner of the domain also owns usana-health.com
References an appendix that doesn't exist on the site

Just not sure I would trust that site. Seems more like one of those sites that makes money off ads/hits.

shinobi07
06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
....dude...I'm an idiot...that didn't even cross my mind...shit. well,looks like I should do a few independent studies of my own...hmm. thanks for pointing that out brotha.

Deviation
06-12-2011, 05:00 AM
L
....dude...I'm an idiot...that didn't even cross my mind...shit. well,looks like I should do a few independent studies of my own...hmm. thanks for pointing that out brotha.
Not an idiot. I'm just a natural skeptic that's all. Some club it trust issues. LOL

Deviation
06-12-2011, 05:02 AM
"Just not sure I would trust that site. Seems more like one of those sites that makes money off ads/hits."

JUST LIKE JEFIT! haha :p
At least you guys have a real product.

shinobi07
06-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Hey how long does it take for your body to absorb? And then to digest? I'm using Vitastack multi,and I put a pack in 10% distilled vinagar to see how long it took to break down. It took about 2 hours for most of the pills to dissolve,and about 6 hrs or so to get to the last two biggest pills. Which barely broke down. Id say about 20% broken down. 9pills alltogether,fyi. Just tryin to figure out are they just timed releaselike that? Or do they just end up being passed through your body?

Deviation
06-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Vinegar has a pH of ~3.0. Stomach acid has a pH of ~1-2.0. I would think they would fully dissolve in the stomach. Most quality vitamins are timed release.

shinobi07
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Vinegar has a pH of ~3.0. Stomach acid has a pH of ~1-2.0. I would think they would fully dissolve in the stomach. Most quality vitamins are timed release.

Damn, well, now I know. I just want to know if I'm really getting the full benifit of what I'm taking. Ya feel me? The vitamins don't mention they are timed. Id hate to assume, so looks like I'm gonna dig a little deep and find out.

martincoco
06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm waiting for someone to say "Centrum" :rolleyes:

I've tried it before but need to switch for more cheaper but the effectiveness of the multivitamins is same as Centrum or greater than it. I'm now taking MX Men's Multi-vitamins. Even before I've taking it, many people are calling this as the best multivitamin for men. Sadly to say it's not yet available when the time i've purchased the Centrum. They called MX Men's Multi-vitamins as the best multi-vitamin for men this is because the product is a complex formula of the right vitamins for men, providing all of the essential nutrients that you need to live a healthy, full life.

Deviation
06-28-2011, 11:48 AM
They called MX Men's Multi-vitamins as the best multi-vitamin for men this is because the product is a complex formula of the right vitamins for men, providing all of the essential nutrients that you need to live a healthy, full life.

Who is "they"? Sounds like a marketing line to me... ;)

martincoco
06-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Who is "they"? Sounds like a marketing line to me... ;)

Health Doctors, Researchers and those who've already taking it. Used your sense dude ;)

Deviation
06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Health Doctors, Researchers and those who've already taking it. Used your sense dude ;)

Heh. Well you gotta cite some references my friend. This is how rumors get started! ;)