PDA

View Full Version : None! Food and water are enough for me.

octarinedragon
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Since there aren't any slick ads or many online posts about avoiding supplements, I'll just say that if you have a healthy diet, you probably don't need any to get fit. A lot of professional athletes and competitive bodybuilders say they need them, but that's not my goal. On a personal fitness journey, I don't think they're necessary, so I avoid them.

LunarSoul
06-02-2011, 12:56 AM
That's all fine and dandy if you follow an American/Mediterranean diet that already includes a lot of protein. If you are used to another type of diet - Indian, Thai, Chinese etc., you probably won't get enough protein (unless of course you always include chicken breast or something as a side - but then there are other issues with that) to build any significant muscle just from the diet itself.

LOSTintheSAUCE
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I also find it very hard to get the appropriate protein intake on my diet alone. I strive for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and I find it difficult to obtain this by my diet alone (even a protein based dieet) So needless to say I do take protein shakes...

As far as supplements are concerned I take jack3d. What this does for me is more mental than physical. Does it help physically? Yes! But I find it hard to get time/motivation to always go to te gym. Taking jack3d, motivates me to be active and I WANT to be at the gym...

I also take GNC's Extreme Athlete Multi-pak vitamins... this helps on more levels than just working out..

mrwright
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I also find it very hard to get the appropriate protein intake on my diet alone. I strive for 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and I find it difficult to obtain this by my diet alone (even a protein based dieet) So needless to say I do take protein shakes...

As far as supplements are concerned I take jack3d. What this does for me is more mental than physical. Does it help physically? Yes! But I find it hard to get time/motivation to always go to te gym. Taking jack3d, motivates me to be active and I WANT to be at the gym...

I also take GNC's Extreme Athlete Multi-pak vitamins... this helps on more levels than just working out..

I've always wondered about bodybuilding etc specific multi vits, whats the difference from the normal ones? do they just give caffine etc?

LOSTintheSAUCE
06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
My Vitamins include 6 pills per day.

Pill 1 (1 tablet) Mega-man Sport
-Vitamins A,C, D, E, K, Thiamin, Ribo, Niacin, B-6, Folic Acid, B-12, Biotin, Panto Acid, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium, Copper, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Chloride, Potassium, Valine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Creatine Precursor Blend, Beta-Alanine, Taurine, Glycine, Methionine, Carnitine, MSM, Collagen, HA, and some more (huge list)

Pill 2 (2 tablets) Amplified Maxertion N.O.
PEG Argenine, Niacin, Pump Blend (?)

Pill 3 (1 tablet) X12
Niacin, Caffeine

Pill 4 (2 tablets) Amplified Creatine 189
PEG Creatine Hydrochloride 625mg

By taking a quick look at the ingredients of these vitamins compared to regular vitamins the main difference is the amount of niacin, the induction of argenine, creatine, caffeine, Gylcine, Methoionine, and a few others...

tjwood
06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Since there aren't any slick ads or many online posts about avoiding supplements, I'll just say that if you have a healthy diet, you probably don't need any to get fit. A lot of professional athletes and competitive bodybuilders say they need them, but that's not my goal. On a personal fitness journey, I don't think they're necessary, so I avoid them.

Completely agree. I've only been working out 6 months so far but I think I'm progressing well without consuming anything that you can't buy in a grocery store. I enjoy cooking and preparing my own food and the thought of eating such heavily processed supplements of any kind makes me feel a bit sick.

I put in today (a typical day's) food into the calculator at http://nutritiondata.self.com and it came out at approximately 4800 calories and 230 grams of protein. (I'm currently 84kg/185lb so this is over 1g/lb). That's from:
- milk
- oats
- wholemeal bread
- peanut butter
- wholemeal pasta
- yogurt
- cheese
- a modest portion (150g) chicken
- redskin peanuts (snack)
- quark
(plus fruit and veg and other things which aren't really protein sources)

I guess if you need fewer calories it might be harder to keep up the protein levels but it's not that difficult. When I'm further down my "personal fitness journey" I'll let you know how it worked out but for now sticking to a 100% "proper food" diet is part of the challenge.