PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to start...

jthompson
07-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone. I have only a basic understanding of supplements having researched them for work but I've only ever taken GNC protein powders twice and for short periods of time. The first time was a standard protein powder and then 2nd was the BCAA powder intended for endurance athletes. I saw no major changes with either other then the big dent in my wallet. So now as I get back into lifting, I would love some guidance. I do have a hard time meeting my daily calorie goal, generally around 1000 calories under, but my diet is healthy. I'm looking to gain muscle mass (obviously). Can anyone recommend something that has worked for them and that won't kill my budget? Thanks!

mrwright
07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I'd try a weight gainer, get one with high protein and it'll help you get them extra calories aswell as some good extra proteins

davematic
07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
weight gainer protien would be the way.
supplement warehouse has MRI weightgainer 5lbs buy one get one for 19.99.
i dont work for them,i just found that deal cruising the net.i have ordered from them in the past and they are legit.

mrwright
07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Or if you want to save your wallet, check out my free supplement thread, and just all sorts of samples of everything and see what you like

Deviation
07-31-2011, 03:13 AM
If you're 1000 calories under, you're not eating right. Get that in check. Eat more.

What's your height, age, & weight?

jthompson
07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm 6'1" 174lbs 25 yrs old.

Deviation
08-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Your BMR is 1829 calories per day. That's just to exist. Maintenance is around 2100. You'll want to aim for around 2800-3000 calories if you're working out 3-5 days a week.

Take a look at this program -> http://www.jefit.com/routines/workout-routine-database.php?id=2909 Be sure to read the post that's linked in there as well.

Whatever you do, pick a beginner program and don't design your own. There's plenty out there (madcow, starting strength, ripptoe, etc).

jghight
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Start with a multi-vitamin and a post work-out protein shake of your choice. The most imporant thing would be to nail down the diet. If you want to be big you have to eat big.

Deviation
08-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Start with a multi-vitamin and a post work-out protein shake of your choice. The most imporant thing would be to nail down the diet. If you want to be big you have to eat big.

And what few beginners realize is that this is the toughest part to conquer. It was for me. Had to get over that phobia of becoming a lard-butt. If you eat the right foods and follow a good routine, you won't be the next obesity statistic.