PDA

View Full Version : new soy protein isolate

78inchesofpain
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
so i decided to try this soy protein isolate, it is straight up protein, no sugar, no nothing, just the protein basically

from the soy isolate:
28 grams of it contains, 110 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1.5 total grams of fat, 250mg of sodium, 24 grams of protein, 5% calcium, and 25% iron.

from my previous protein supplement:
34 grams contains, 140 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 26g of protein, 70mg of sodium, 6% iron, and 10% calcium.

so this means that with 34g of the soy isolate, i get 7 less calories, 8 less calories from fat, .2 less grams of total fat, and 3g more protein, the only bad side is that it tastes like crap, and i get a few more mg of sodium, but, it only comes out to being a 7% of daily value difference.

Deviation
09-12-2011, 01:41 AM
What brand is this?

For what it's worth, go back to whey. Soy protein is OK to include along with another protein source, but you aren't going to want it as your main source. Do some quick research and you'll learn why.

Any aren't you pretty young? I wouldn't be worried about calories at your age. You're still growing.

78inchesofpain
09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
yes yes, the only calories that i worry about is if i am getting enough, i bought it from a sprouts farmers market, it isnt prepackaged so not really a brand, you just scoop out as much as you want, and pay per pound. i also picked up a whey isolate, so i use half whey and half soy.

"Recent studies have suggested soy to be as effective, if not more so, than whey in terms of its ability to promote gains in lean muscle mass.

In this report, the latest 'cutting edge' research on soy supplementation will be presented along with the benefits soy might hold for the bodybuilding population, as a legitimate alternative to the whey protein."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

these both seem to be very pleased with soy protein

Deviation
09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Like I said, it's OK with a primary source of whey/whole foods. Do a search for soy and phytoestrogens. All I want you to do is read up and make a choice. Just be sure you can back that choice when questioned. ;)