Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you should "bulk up" by lifting heavy and eating the right number of calories in a day. Figure out how much you need to maintain your weight, then add in how much you burned at the gym / other exercise. Having a 40/40/20% protein/carb/fat diet or even 50/30/20 will help out too. The important thing is bulking up by eating shit food isn't doing yourself any favours, you don't need to eat extra calories (unless you want to get fat) you just need to eat the right amount.. of course if you're under 30 you can still pretty much eat whatever the hell you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dozerboy42 View Post
    Ok--starting out again in the gym, but going to be very focused and serious this time. In the past i lifted for muscle. So which do you focus on first bulk up then cut or cut then bulk up? Probably stupid question but would like your thoughts and reasons for your opinion.
    If you are the avarage person I would say Cut First.

Reason It is easy dropping weight and when you can see some muscle deffenition start building.

It is very motivating to look at your muscles while lifting if they are covered with fat it kinda a bummer looking in the mirror.

More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    Again, eat proper and just lift. Lifting will increase your muscle size, which will burn more fat. Later if you want to fine tune things than add/increase your cardio. If eating too many calories for your body to use than cut back. I wouldn't worry about when to cut or when to bulk; just lift.

My personal experience, in 1997 I weighed 193 lbs and with 6 months of lifting I was 165 lbs and stronger and leaner than I had been for years. Years later at 205 lbs I am still stronger and leaner than I was. I didn't worry about cutting to lose the unwanted fat, I relied on proper eating and lifting only; it works. Cardio at that time; zero.

If your goals are to big bigger and stronger than there is no time like the present. If you are just looking to drop some weight and burn some fat than do intense cardio. Either way incorporate proper eating, rest, water intake, etc.

Eating healthy is preferd while adding weight increase calories slightly to find how much your body needs to add. Keep a close eye on
    bodyfat so you don't have to lose aloft of fat when shiftless weather gets here. I don't want to get above 15% myself as I am at 13% now it is time to reduce calories slightly.
    Just what I feel comfortable with.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by junkedbrian View Post
    you should "bulk up" by lifting heavy and eating the right number of calories in a day.
    Figure out how much you need to maintain your weight, then add in how much you burned at the gym / other exercise.
    The important thing is bulking up by eating shit food isn't doing yourself any favours!
    AGREED!

Eat more than you burn, and pump more than you used to! = bulking.
    Burn more than you eat, and pump as hard as you`re used to = cutting!

I recommend you too eat healthy food and dont get too in love with MRP`s!