Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    More Experienced than a Senior decu68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amcredle View Post
    if you are just in regular convo and you said i just pressed 100lbs. 99% of the people are going to think you just pressed 100lb dumbells with each arm...
    In that case that would be true than.

personal preference is individual dumbells

I log Barbells as one side as well, unless they are pre-built barbells. I put in my log what I need to know in order to select the weight the following session (ie how many plates to put on each side, which dumbell to pick up etc).

It would be nice if you could select your preference in this regard (per exercise) by a radio button or some-such, since it obviously makes a difference when calculating progress.

Does anybody else find that the amount they can lift on a barbell is NEVER simply twice the dumbell weight they use? I don't know if there is a formula for converting one to the other which works for the average person, but I tend to find that working with dumbells is much harder than with barbells and if I switch from one to the other, the weight goes down to less than half (or the other way, goes up to more than double - this is obviously taking the weight of the bar into account as well...)

Inevitably, if changing from one to the other I find there is no substitute for simply picking the damned thing up and seeing if it feels too heavy!!!

If I change my routine, I generally find a week or two when I'm just trying to find the right weight. This goes for when I miss a week or two as well...

Kind Regards
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by OptikaNET View Post
    Does anybody else find that the amount they can lift on a barbell is NEVER simply twice the dumbell weight they use? I don't know if there is a formula for converting one to the other which works for the average person, but I tend to find that working with dumbells is much harder than with barbells and if I switch from one to the other, the weight goes down to less than half (or the other way, goes up to more than double - this is obviously taking the weight of the bar into account as well...)
    I find for certain lifts it will depend for me. All and all I can lift more with barbells and that is more likely due to the whole body being used as one while lifting with dumbbells you are not using your whole body and you are using more stabilizer muscles. However when doing Seated Bicep Concentrated Curls, I can get a 1RM per arm of 93.73 lbs; I don't think I could 1RM curl with a barbell 187.46 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OptikaNET View Post
    If I change my routine, I generally find a week or two when I'm just trying to find the right weight. This goes for when I miss a week or two as well...
    I think this is for everybody. Doesn't take me as long as that, usually just the first day lifting that routine and the next time I'm closely on tract. When I come back from missing time, I either start at the same weights (mostly) or drop 5-10 lbs. New programs with new lifts that I've never done, yah, that may take slightly longer but I'm usually pretty good at getting on tract for the next lifting day.

Depends how cautious I am being. Sometimes I think I have found the right weight, but turns out that I had simply tired myself trying other weights and the one I'd settled on was too low...

...or I was being too ambitious and selected a weight I couldn't actually work with.

That's why I said a couple of weeks (assuming one round of any given split per week!)

Kind Regards
    Dave

I've always logged the weight of one dumbbell, at least when you're talking about bench press with dumbbells you usually say you're using 80's not 160 lbs.. I guess as long as you keep it consistent.
    Last edited by JackMarTIn; 02-25-2012 at 04:09 AM.