Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Okay having read the thread I think you guys are talking about how you perform a rep and there are different ways to perform rep which achieve different things

Sorry If I am way of the mark here, if I understand correctly then I am interested in learning more. Please can you send me a link to an article that explains the variations in layman's terms.

Banned
    ^ Thanks for the explanation.

Experienced Member
    I definitely hear what you are saying about age. I'm 42 and have been training since early high school. What I found is than most of what I was taught - friends, coaches, college etc is essentially incorrect.

I make the greatest gains when I alternate between an accumulation and intensification phase. Going back to a previous discussion, volume and intensity (strength) are inversely related. During an accumulation (mass) phase I use something like 4 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise at 60-82% of 1RM, 5-6 exercises. We adapt to a routine in 6 sessions, so after 3 weeks I move to an intensification routine. This is about 5 sets of 2-6 reps 85%+ 1RM, 5-6 exercises. After 6 sessions go back to an all new accumulation routine.

Practically you don't go up 2% every training session - primarily because I'm not a robot and I have a life. Nutrition, rest, motivation etc all need to be per plan. When those are followed and gains aren't made I know something is wrong. For me it's usually over training or not eating properly. I take an extra day or so off and things fall back in line.

Lifting in an over trained state sets us up for illness and increases the probability of injury. Some lifters make great progress on your schedule. Others may have a different frequency for each muscle group. The point is that recovery time should be programmed and is individualized. Find your optimal recovery period for each muscle group and you will increase faster. The only way to make this determination is to analyze training logs, rest, nutrition etc...

Experienced Member
    I take issue with you on adaption. Adaption occurs in approximately 6 training sessions when a proper periodized program is followed. As soon as adaption occurs, progress stops. It can occur more quickly with with the correct loading parameters and trained athletes.

Using your criteria above for Beginner and Elite, a beginner using the same program for more than a day or so will adapt and growth with stop. We know that's not true. Beginners usually show impressive gains for the first 6 weeks or so, even with moderately sophisticated programs. Using your criteria for elite class, the athlete would be able to use the same program for months on end (same weight, reps, rest, tempo) and continue to make gains.

Training exposes the muscular-nervous system to additional stress. We respond by attempting to adapt the the additional loading. Once adaptation occurs, there is no need to make additional progress. To deal with adaptation, we can change reps, sets, rest, tempo, frequency of training - even hand position. For example, on a dumbel offset bicep curl, using an offset grip (thumb touching the inside plate) is enough to deal with adaption (for six sessions).

One more point - during a lift there is an agonist and antagonist working simultaneously. If you are working the bench press and your external rotators are not capable of lifting approximately 10% of the bench weight, then then you will hit a plateau, even if your pecs and triceps are appropriately strong. Working the agonist/antagonist in a super set helps.

I usually super set
    quads/hams
    chest/back
    biceps/triceps

Experienced Member
    Jason:

[url]www.charlespoliquin.com[/url]