Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Experienced Member

Jimmy0's Workout Log (part SL part other)

Hi guys, I am new to the forum! I have been lurking for a week or so and it seems like a friendly and knowledgeable place, so I thought I would join.

I will start of with some background before going into my workout regime and log.

I am 21 years old, about 6ft1 in height and 87kgs in weight. I have been working out now for about 8 months, however it has been somewhat disjointed, to say the least. The first 4 or so months I was just a newbie to the gym, going sporadically and doing any random workout of cardio and the machines. Then for the last 4 months I have been on and off the SL 5x5 program (I say on and off because my dedication to going 3x a week has been poor, leading to me often missing out on a workout.

However I have now got a new gym buddy with one of the guys I work with, and we have got the following regime set in place:

Monday - Chest / Tricep (Workout 1)
    - Bench press (8, 8, 6, 4 reps with increasing weight)
    - Incline dumbbell press (10, 10, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    - Tricep pulldowns (10, 8, 8 reps with increasing weight)
    - Dumbbell flys (10, 10, 10 reps with same weight)
    - Machine flys (10, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    Tuesday - Back / Bicep (Workout 2)
    - Pull ups (8, 8, 8 reps with just body weight)
    - Lat pulldowns (10, 10, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    - Bicep curls (10, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    - One arm dumbbell rows (8, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    - Machine rows (8, 8, 6 reps with increasing weight)
    - Upright barbell rows (10, 8, 8 reps with same weight)
    Thursday - Squats / Bench / Rows - SL 5x5 (Workout 3)
    Friday - Squats / Press / Deadlift - SL 5x5 (Workout 4)

I am a big fan of the SL5x5 program, and have certainly seem considerable results with it. But my gym partner is a fan of the isolation exercises featured in Workout 1&2, so we came to a compromise and set out the above routine.

Here are my current SL5x5 weights (all in kgs and including bar)
    Squat - 85
    Bench - 50
    Rows - 40
    Press - 40
    Deadlift - 105

We have only started this routing this very week on Tuesday, so in the following post I will post the 2 workout results from Tuesday and today.

I hope this post has made some sense, my brain has literally just dumped onto the page and I have not re-read it or anything.

EDIT:
    5th April 2012 - 1 rep PRs
    Squat: 110kgs (242lbs)
    Bench: 70kgs (154lbs)
    Deadlift: 120kgs (264lbs)
    Total: 300kgs (660lbs)
    Last edited by Jimmy0; 04-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Experienced Member
    Note: All weights are in KGs and including the bar (where applicable).

Tuesday 6/3/12 - Workout 2 - Back / Bicep

Pull ups - 3, 3, 3
    Lat pulldowns - 35 x 10, 41 x 10, 48 x 8, 55 x 6
    Bicep curls - 12 x 10, 14 x 3, 16 x 2
    One arm rows - 20 x 8, 22 x 8, 24 x 6
    Upright barbell rows - 15 x 10, 15 x 8, 15 x 15

This was the first time doing the new back / bicep routine that my friend has devised, and I have to say that it certianly came as quite a shock to target my muscles in ways I haven't before!

I realised that I can barely do any pullups, only managing 3 each set before failing. This is certainly one thing I am looking forward to doing each week and improving, I can't wait until I can manage to bust out a set of 8, 8, 8 without trouble!

The lat pulldowns where fine at the time, but the day after the pain kicked in and I can certainly still feel an ache there now! Will be keeping the same weight next week as I barely finished the sets.

Bicep curls were quite ambitious, I may start the sets on all the same weight at 12kgs, and wait until I can complete that before upping them! I found that on the second set my left arm was just having none of it, my right could of maybe cracked out a couple of more reps, but my left was dead so I stopped.

One arm rows, these weights seemed fairly easy, so will be upping next week.

Upright barbell row, a weird exercise that I had never done before, therefore only started of with a 15kg bar. Seemed fairly easy, and that's why I ended up doing 15 reps on the last set (just went until failure). Next week will be upping to the 20kg bar.

Thursday 8/3/12 - Workout 3 - Squat / Bench / Rows

Squat - 85kgs for 5x5
    Bench - 50kgs for 5x5
    Rows - 40kgs for 5x5

Familiar territory for me here with the SL 5x5 program.

Squats were fairly easy for the first 3-4 sets, but the last two reps on the 5th set had me blowing quite a bit, still managed them so onto 87.5kgs next week.

Bench was ok, this is quite a week area for me at the moment, but still managed 50kgs for 5x5 so onto 52.5kgs next week.

Rows - Blasted through the first 4 sets in quick time, and then on the last set I could definitely feel it and the form suffered slightly, however I am cracking on and upping to 42.5kgs next week.

As we are doing the SL5x5 program two days in a row, the squats on the second day will only be about 60% of the max, in order to provide a rest. The other activites will remain at 100%.

Experienced Member
    Friday 9/3/12 - Workout 4 - Squat / Press / Deadlift

Squat - 55kgs for 4x5, 1x10
    Press - 40kgs for 5x5
    Deadlift - 110kgs for 1x5

Squats - This was only at 60% (ish) of my max as I squatted heavy yesterday. Very easy, hence why I did 10 reps on the last set.

Press - This is the third week attempting this weight, but I managed it this time, which makes me very happy! Reckon I had a bit left in the tank also so next week at 42.5kg I might be able to blast straight through it. But we shall see!

Deadlift - Blimey, this felt heavy! Managed all 5 reps, however I think I will keep the same weight next week to make 100% sure I feel comfortable doing this weight.

Overall it was a good workout, and I am now looking forward to a very relaxed weekend of doing bugger all!

Interesting plan there. What's the goal?
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviation View Post
    Interesting plan there. What's the goal?
    Cannot really say I have much of a goal at the moment, aside from just generally being stronger / fitter / more toned than I currently am.

I am going to have 3 more months at this gym before I have to quit, so in my mind I have some targets about what weights I would like to hit on the SL:

Squats - 100kg
    Bench - 70kg
    Press - 60kg
    Rows - 80kg
    Deadlift - 140kg

These might be quite ambitious, but I reckon they are doable!

Experienced Member
    Monday 12/3/12 - Workout 1 - Chest / Triceps

Bench press - 62.5 x 8, 65 x 6, 67.5 x 3, 72.5 x 0
    Incline dumbbell press - 16 x 10, 16 x 10, 18 x 8, 18 x 6
    Tricep pulldown - 45 x 10, 50 x 8, 55 x 5
    Dumbbell flyes - 12 x 10, 12 x 10, 12 x 6
    Machine flyes -

Bench press - unlike the workout on Thursdays, this was very much done with a spotter. I will only be taking the values from the SL bench press as values I can actually do, as they are purely by myself.

Incline dumbbell press - These weights felt good, felt like I was in control the entire time. Will be upping to 18s and 20s respectively for the x10 and x8,x6 sets next week.

Tricep pulldowns - These felt ok until my friend pointed out my form, in that I was raising the bar back to high each time, and if you keep it at around a 90 degree angle to your body you feel it more... and bloody hell did I! I will be downing the weight one step for each set next week and really work on my form for every single rep.

Dumbbell flyes - These felt ok, again much like the tricep pulldowns my form was lacking, in that I was bending my elbows too much. Repeat with same weight again next week.

Machine flyes - didn't have time to do these

Overall a good workout, I am still new to these more isolated movements, so my form is lacking in some of the movements, which I will strive to work on in the comings weeks. Onto back / biceps tomorrow!

Experienced Member
    Tuesday 13/3/12 - Workout 2 -Back / Bicep

Pull ups - 2, 1, 1
    Lat pulldowns - 35 x 10, 41 x 10, 48 x 8, 55 x 6
    Bicep curls - 12 x 10, 12 x 7, 12 x 6
    One arm dumbbell rows - 22 x 8, 24 x 8, 26 x 6
    Machine rows -
    Upright barbell raises - 20 x 10, 20 x 8, 20 x 11

Pull ups - actually a decrease from last weeks 3, 3, 3. However today there were done with full extensions, with the arms going straight before pulling up again, whereas last week I was cheating slightly and only going to about a 90 degree angle instead of completely straight. I just find pull ups extremely hard at the moment, literally takes all my effort to do a single one, and after that I am completely drained! Hopefully in a month or two I will start to see some slow progression with these.

Lat pulldowns - Kept the same weight as last week and barely finished the set again, I will keep the same for one more week before upping it.

Bicep curls - Much better this week as I didn't up the weight any, was completely put off the last rep in my second set by seeing someone in the mirror behind me drop a barbell and smash his mate in the face! Next week I will attempt 12 x 10, 12 x 8, 14 x 6. So upping the weight just on the last set and working from there.

One arm dumbbell rows - Went up weights from last week, and they were still manageable, so will increase again next week.

Machine rows - Didn't manage these as there was two people using the machine at the time, and after the barbell raises we didn't have any more time to squeeze these in.

Upright barbell raises - Upped the weight 5kg from last week, still felt fairly easy and managed to crank out 11 reps on the last set. Not totally convinced we are using the correct form on these as my wrists are bending a fair amount? How high are you supposed to pull the bar up? I will seek some YouTube videos for guidance!

Overall another good workout, getting into the swing of these new exercises now and laying down some good bench mark stats to build on. Still don't find this as fun as the SL routine, but to please my friend I am happy to do a bit of each for the next 3 months.

Tomorrow will be my day off from the gym, but I do play an hour of football (soccer)!

Then I am thoroughly looking forward to Thursday and hitting up some 87.5kg squats!!

Experienced Member
    Thursday 15/3/12 - Workout 3 - Squat / Bench / Rows

Squat - 87.5kgs for 5x5
    Bench - 52.5kgs for 5x5
    Rows - 42.5kgs for 4x5 and 1x8

Squats - last set had me struggling a little bit, but still did it. Onto 90kgs next week.

Bench - last rep was a struggle but still managed to squeeze it out, onto 55kgs next week.

Rows - These felt good and managed to squeeze out 8 reps on the last set. Onto 45kgs next week.

Experienced Member
    Friday 16/3/12 - Workout 4 - Squat / Press / Deadlift

Squats - 50kgs - 4x5, 1x8
    Press - 42.5kgs - 5, 5, 5, 3, 2
    Deadlift - 110kgs - 1x5

Squats - light day on the squats after yesterday, took them very slowly going extremely deep and it felt very good!

Press - After saying last week that I reckoned I could blast through these today... no way was that happening. These were extremely heavy and I am quite happy that the gym was empty as on the last set I was certainly letting out some involuntary groans and grunts! Will repeat this weight next week and attempt to improve.

Deadlifts - Repeated the same weight as last week and although it still felt heavy, it was easy than last week and I felt a lot more in control of these 5 reps. Onto 115kgs next week.

Overall I am fairly happy with this workout, on the one hand I am disappointed that I failed on the press, however I am happy with the deadlifts feeling a lot easier than last week on the same weight. Now for a weekend of relaxing before hitting the gym again on monday.

Experienced Member
    Monday 19/3/12 - Workout 1 - Chest / Triceps

Bench press - 55 x 8, 57.5 x 7, 60 x 4, 65 x 3
    Decline bench press - 20 x 8, 40 x 10, 40 x 10
    Dips - 4, 3, 4
    Machine flyes - 70 x 8, 70 x 8, 70 x 8
    Tricep pulldowns - 41 x 10, 45 x 10, 50 x 6

Bench press - Lowered the weight from last week and meant I could actually do most of the reps myself without a spotter (still required for a couple reps on the last set). Felt some slight paint in my left shoulder, not sure if I am lowering the bar too far or my left is just weaker than my right. Will see what it feels like when we bench on Thursday.

Decline barbell bench press - Thought we'd mix it up a bit and do some decline presses, but having never done this I had to use some low weights in order to get the technique right. Felt a bit weird but felt good once I got into it. Left shoulder also started to niggle just on the last few reps of the final set.

Dips - Decided to throw these into the mix to work on triceps and chest a bit more. These are damn hard, and was having to use everything I had to squeeze those 4 reps out on the last set! This is definitely an area I am hopefully looking forward to seeing improvements in a month or twos time.

Machine flyes - swapped the dumbbell flyes for the machine this week and cranked out 3 sets. Was quite tough and I am certain my form was poor in quite a few of the reps in that I was moving forward in the seat.

Tricep pulldowns - lowered the weight from last week like I said, and really worked on the form, and I could certainly feel it as afterwards my triceps were on fire!

Overall a good workout, onto back / bicep tomorrow!