Tuesday 3/4/12 - Back / Bicep

Pullups - 5, 3, 2
    Wide Grip Pullups - 0
    Lat Pulldowns - 41x8, 41x8, 48x6, 35x10
    Bicep Curls - 14x7, 14x5, 14x4, 12x6
    Machine Rows - 35x8, 41x6, 48x5
    BB Upright Rows - 20x10, 20x10, 20x11
    BB Curls - 20x15, 20x11 and one set of "21s"

Pullups - Didn't even do a full ROM and still struggled to high heaven.

Wide Grip Pullups - Impossible for me at the moment.

Lat Pulldowns - Felt good, light set really got my lats burning.

Bicep Curls - Was struggling on the 14kgs, so dropped to the 12s for a quick set.

Machine Rows - Good

BB Upright Rows - Set my shoulders on fire as usual, still not convinced about my form on these.

BB Curls - Wanted to have a really bicep centric workout, and we had a little time spare so we thought we would squeeze these in at the end... and holy crap my biceps were screaming afterwards.

Overall a good workout, biceps feel trashed and I certainly still feel sore in my chest and triceps from yesterday. Looking forward to football tomorrow and a day out of the gym.

As it is a bank holiday Friday, I will not be in the gym. As such we have decided to make tomorrow a sort of 1RM day for our Squat/Bench/Deadlift for a bit of fun. Going to do another day of this at the end of June when we stop going to the gym together and see what sort of progression we get over the next 3 months.

Experienced Member
    Thursday 5/4/12 - 1RM Day

Bench Press
    20kgs x 8
    40kgs x 5
    50kgs x 2
    60kgs x 1
    65kgs x 1
    70kgs x 0, 70kgs x 0, 70kgs x 1 [1 rep PR]

My bench is by far the weakest of the three lifts, and I am incredibly happy to get the 70kgs up for 1 rep. Considering about 6 months ago I wouldn't of even been able to de-rack 70kgs, let alone squeeze out a rep! Had two failed attempts at this, and the third was pretty shakey... saw my friend who was spotting going to reach the bar and I had stalled in the same place, just shook my head and said no and somehow managed to power through and get it to lockout at the top!

Squat
    20kgs x 8
    40kgs x 5
    60kgs x 3
    80kgs x 2
    90kgs x 1
    100kgs x 1
    110kgs x 1 [1 rep PR]
    120kgs x 0

Legs felt a little fatigued from playing football for 2 hours yesterday, but that is hardly an excuse. And I am still pleased with a 1 rep for 110kgs! Was going to drop it down to 115kgs after failing 120, but was running a little low of time so I decided to call it a day and settle for 110.

Deadlift
    60kgs x 5
    80kgs x 3
    100kgs x 2
    110kgs x 1
    120kgs x 1 [1 rep PR]
    130kgs x 0

By the time 130 came around I was absolutely knackered, barely even got it off the ground before giving up.

Total: 300kgs (660lbs)

Overall it was a good day, and it was nice to see where I am at. Squat and deadlift are around the numbers I expected, the bench is slightly higher which is nice!

We are going to do this again at the end of June, and will be very interesting to see how much we manage to progress over 2.5 months.

Experienced Member
    Monday 9/4/12 - Chest / Tricep

BB Bench Press
    50kgs x 8
    52.5kgs x 8
    55kgs x 6
    57.4kgs x 4

Actually lowered the weight slightly from last week because I was training alone, therefore no spotter. These felt good, I need to try and stay tighter underneath the bar though, feel myself getting loose after a few reps and I think this is affecting me.

DB Incline Press
    20kgs x 8
    20kgs x 6
    20kgs x 6

A lot of people in the gym today, and I couldn't be bothered to keep swapping weights in order to up the weight over the course of the three sets. Might just keep the same weight in each set from now on, and aim for 8 reps in each and then up the weight once achieved.

Dips
    BW x 6
    BW x 4
    BW x 2

Took these a little slower than I usually do, and it seemed to tire me out more. Didn't really experience any of the muscle spasming I wrote about earlier however, will keep an eye on it and see if I get it next time I do dips.

Machine Flyes
    70kgs x 10
    70kgs x 8
    70kgs x 8

These felt good, will probably up the weight on the machine next time I do these.

Tricep Pulldowns
    14kgs x 10
    18kgs x 8
    18kgs x 8

Used a difference machine to do these, hence why the weights look significantly lower. Although thinking about it, a resistance weight should be the same no-matter what... who knows / cares. As long as I note down the weights I use each week then I can track it sufficiently well enough.

Experienced Member
    Tuesday 10/4/12 - Back / Bicep

Pullups
    BW x 4
    BW x 4
    BW x 3

Still hard as ****. Have been doing some reading and I think what I am going to do from now on is do negative reps for the remainder of the set for a total of 3x8. And by negative reps I mean jumping to the top of the pullup, and then lowering myself down as slowly as possible. Hopefully this will start to help me as these certainly do not seem to be getting any easier.

Lat Pulldowns
    48kgs x 8
    48kgs x 8
    55kgs x 6

Seated DB Bicep Curls
    12kgs x 8
    12kgs x 7
    12kgs x 5

Damn, can certainly feel these more when seated as it seems to focus more on the arms.

DB One Arm Rows
    20kgs x 8
    22kgs x 8
    22kgs x 8

BB Upright Rows
    22.5kgs x 10
    22.5kgs x 10
    22.5kgs x 10

Experienced Member
    Thursday 12/4/12

What a crap workout!

Squats
    95kgs - 5, 5, 5, 4, -

Good God these felt ridiculously heavy! Form went to pot in the fourth set and ended up nearly falling over. I sort of leant forward to the left and the bar rolled slightly up my left shoulder and it bloody hurt! Called it a day after that on the squats.

I am thinking of taking a bit of a deload back down to about 80kgs, then working my way up really working on the form whilst I am at it.

Bench Press
    57.5kgs - 4
    50kgs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Shoulder was hurting badly and couldn't even squeeze out one set at 57.5kgs, so I dropped the weight down to 50 and whacked out a quick 5x5. Will be attempting 57.5kgs again next week, if I fail it again I will drop back to 50kgs and work my way back up.

Rows
    50kgs - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

These are really starting to get heavy, and I am trying my hardest to keep good form, but I felt it faltered slightly on the last rep on the last two sets. Will still increase the weight next week.

Overall I am not pleased, but I guess we all have our shit days! I am hoping tomorrow getting the 45kgs press and 120kgs deadlift will brighten my mood... Will have to wait and see what happens!

Experienced Member
    Friday 13/4/12

Squats
    60kgs - 8, 8, 8

Light, good form, still felt a nice burn in the legs. Also quite enjoyed the 3x8 set range compared to the 5x5, it was a refreshing difference. I have decided to take a deload on the squats after what happened yesterday, and then keep the 3x8 ranges on Fridays too, but only at 75%~.

E.g. Next week I will do 80kgs for 5x5, then 60kgs for 3x8. Week after that 82.5kgs for 5x5, 62.5 for 3x8 and so on.

Press
    45kgs - 5, 5, 2, 5, 5

****er! Absolutely no idea what happened in that third set, the first rep was ridiculously hard to get up, and then I barely squeezed out a second before having to rack it. After that I was angry and smashed out the last two sets, them feeling easier than the first two.

I am going to attempt this weight once more next week, and if I don't get it then I will drop back to 40kgs and work my way back up.

Deadlift
    120kgs - 5

Heavy, but manageable. Form suffered slightly on the last rep, but nothing horrendous.

Overall I have had a pretty shit week at the gym and a pretty shit week at work too. Roll on a relaxing weekend and then a new week where I hope to smash both my bench and press which has been stalling me for a couple of weeks.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle's Avatar
    congrats on the lifts. I know deadlifts can be draining. Im american so i have to think for a bit calc what you are lifting. but thats about 260lbs your deadlifting...damn. I was screaming at 250 so way to go.
    MY Journey From Weak to STRONG
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9387-Alex-s-Work-out-Log]My JEFIT LOG[/url] || [url=http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/] Stronglifts 5x5 INFO[/url]|| [url=http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/amcredle/]MY BODYSPACE[/url] ||[url=http://www.contractplayer.com/nba2kx/index.php/]NBA2k LEAGUE[/url]
    Info On How To
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9834-The-bench-press]Bench[/url]||[url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9889-Squat-help]Squat[/url]

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amcredle View Post
    congrats on the lifts. I know deadlifts can be draining. Im american so i have to think for a bit calc what you are lifting. but thats about 260lbs your deadlifting...damn. I was screaming at 250 so way to go.
    Thanks man, I certainly still have a long way to go!

And they certainly are draining, I feel half dead after a set of heavy deadlifts!

Experienced Member
    Monday 16/4/12 - Chest / Tricep

BB Bench Press
    52.5kgs x 8
    55kgs x 8
    57.4kgs x 6
    60kgs x 4

These felt pretty solid this week, very last rep was a bit of a struggle, but still managed to lock it out before the spotter had to get involved. Will increase again next week to 55x8, 57.5x7, 60x6, 62.5x4.

DB Incline Press
    22kgs x 8
    22kgs x 6
    22kgs x 7

Didn't quite manage 8 reps in every set, so will repeat this weight again.

Skull Crushers
    20kgs x 8
    20kgs x 8
    20kgs x 8

Supersetted with...

DB Flyes
    12kgs x 8
    12kgs x 8
    12kgs x 8

These two were ok, flyes were a bit of a struggle towards the end but in general felt good.

Overall a good workout, short but sweet.

Experienced Member
    Tuesday 17/4/12 - Back / Bicep

Pullups (Hammer Grip)
    BW x 3/5
    BW x 2/6
    BW x 1/7

This is logged as I did 3 actual reps, then 5 negatives (to make the 8 for the set). First week trying out these negative rep doodas, give it a month and see where I am at.

Lat Pulldowns
    48kgs x 8
    48kgs x 8
    55kgs x 7

Machine Rows
    35kgs x 8
    41kgs x 8
    48kgs x 5

EZ Bar Curls
    20kgs x 7
    20kgs x 6
    20kgs x 3

First time trying these, also I have no idea how much the bar weights, so I have only logged here the weight I have on the ends (had 10kgs each side).

BB Curls
    20kgs x 10

Trying to get in as many curls as possible, only managed 10 before my biceps were on fire.

BB Upright Rows
    25kgs x 10
    25kgs x 10
    25kgs x 10

Holy crap these were hard, shoulders were absolutely dead afterwards.

Overall it felt like another good workout.

Going to be working out tomorrow and Thursday instead of Thurs/Fri this week, as I don't have any football tomorrow and I won't be able to go to the gym on Friday.