Another question on workouts

I read somewhere that the actual "bulking", and strengthening of any muscle comes in the last two reps before failure. Is this a myth, or is it true? Given that concept, is it "better" to do less reps, but more weight, using the highest amount of weight you can, or is it more beneficial (to gain mass and strength) to use a bit lighter weight, that you can get (albeit strenuiously) a target of 6-8 reps? The routine, whichever one is "correct" is supplemented with Isolated Whey protein, and BCAA's to help heal the muscles.
    Thanks in advance; eventually, I'll learn to understand more about this.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    True… in that a muscle brought to, or close to, failure leads to hypertrophy.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy[/url]

Several repetitions (generally 8–12 for bodybuilding or 12 or more for muscular endurance) against a sub-maximal load facilitates mainly Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (bulking). 2–6 repetitions reps against 85-90% of the one repetition maximum (“1RM”) causes myofibrillated hypertrophy to dominate (as in powerlifters, olympic lifters and strength athletes). Whey protein and BCAA's are useful for both rep ranges.

Thanks for the info, QuintanilJoseph, So, it looks like I'm pretty close to at least one set of the 80% of the 1RM, then I back off a little for the other sets. Okay, we'll see how this works out.. Thanks again
    Last edited by oeagleo; 02-05-2013 at 03:25 PM.