Question Oh My, what to do now?

Okay, some background. I started out over 300 lbs of grossly obese lifeform. Through a determined effort of exercise, combining treadmill, bicycling, and elliptical, I have now lost weight down to 201 lbs, and am quite happy with my progress so far. But now, I think it's time to "shift gears" so to speak, and have joined a local Gym. I have been going 6 days a week for the last 2 months, and honestly, am happy with the results, however, I feel they could be better. So, in the last week, I have started taking an Isolated Whey Protein supplement, before each weight training workout, and BCAA after each weight training session.
    I say "weight training session" because I have the 6 days broken out like this. We'll use Day 1, Day 2, and Cardio as the names, however I rotate, like Mon - Day 1, Tues Cardio, Wed Day 2, Thur Cardio, Fri Day 1, Sat. Cardio. Then start the next week with "Day 2" so that the days are alternating. Each day goes like this:
    Day 1 is "Arms & Legs" Day, there are 14 exercises, and I do 3 sets of 12 (if I can) reps each
    Cardio is an hour on an elliptical
    Day 2 is "Back, Shoulders, and Chest" day, another 14 Exercises, 3 sets, of 12 Each.

I flat out enjoy the time at the gym, and a couple hours a day (including steam room, and jacuzzi) are quite pleasant to me, I feel great, and since I'm retired, I have the time to spend. I'm a 65 year old male.

Now, after all that, here's the question: Would I see greater, or better results if I simply went to alternating Day 1, and Day 2, cutting out the full hour on the elliptical, and instead beginning each workout with a "warm up" of say, half an hour on the elliptical? Would that help, if so, how, and if not, why not?

I realize that's a question that isn't easily answered, but I'd like some input, and I can sort out the answers for consistent thoughts. Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate this forum.
    Last edited by oeagleo; 02-02-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Wish to subscribe, and obtain E-mail when answers are posted.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Wow… congrats on the weight loss!

As to your routine, I agree you should change something as we will eventually hit a plateau doing the same thing for two months straight. I’m guessing you've hit it since you are writing. There is nothing wrong with your routine in and of itself, you just need alternate your workout every so often. You can keep the two day split and the cardio if you want and just change things like the sets/reps, the exercises or even just the intensity of how you attack the same exercises. Or, if you want to drop the elliptical, and if the gym is not crowded, you may want to try circuit training. [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_training[/url]

Most importantly… don’t loose your joy. Keep it up and keep healthy.

Okay, I think I'll split it up, and see what happens. And, yes, I've hit a "plateau" weight wise, but I keep feeling better, and can see some difference in my body, so I'm not too worried about the weight at this point. Sure, I want to loose, but I also want to fill in the loose, hanging skin with a bit of muscle.. :-) Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the encouragement!