Squat //

Overhead Press 37.5kg 5/5/5/4/3

Barbell Rows 45kg 5/5/5/5/5

Friday

Squat //

Bench Press 47.5kg 5/5/5/3/4

Deadlift 95kg 5

Pretty bad week really.

I only marginally failed the deadlift on Monday - I've changed my grip now to a mixed grip because the bar was slipping from my hand; on the third rep the bar almost slipped whilst the fourth I had to readjust my grip and that affected the fifth rep, hence the fail. I've also got to change my plates: I have octagon shaped plates (8 sides), I thought they'd be good at prevent rolling but they're proving to be inadequate for the deadlift - I'm finding that when I descend from the lift I inadvertently place the bar down so it rests on the corner of the plates, which means it subsequently rolls forward and affects the following lift. I've ordered round 25kg plates so that should remedy that problem. Because I didn’t squat today (Friday) I spent most of the time messing about on the deadlift, did 5x95kg, then I did 3x100kg, another 5x95kg then 3x90kg.

Surprised that I almost done the bench press from a dismal performance on Monday; should get that next time. Also reckon I should get the overhead press next time; surprised I almost got it on Wednesday.

Squats are an issue now - done 60kg which were okay but painful on Monday, but I'm suffering from too much pain / really bad soreness around my hips / inner thigh - it must be something to with the hip flexors. To put it into perspective, even without the bar I can just about break my knees and then I can't go any further downwards without feeling some pretty pronounced pain / massive discomfort, it's got to the point where I can't really squat. There's no way I'm putting 62.5kg on my back, which is a lot for me, and feeling masses of pain as soon as I break my knees and sit backwards.

I tried 62.5kg on Wednesday but on the first rep I went leaned forward too much and the weight fell on top of me and was caught by the safety bars. Because it hurts / painful when I descend, I’m instinctively compensating my leaning forward excessively, hence I lost balance and fell forward. So I can’t keep form properly because of this issue. Previous to trying the 62.5kg, I did 3 sets at 40kg and 3 sets at 50kg, which hurt but I soldiered through it – I can’t really do that anymore, especially for the heavier weights.

As I said above, the last two weeks I've developed a bad complex where I don't like squatting because I know the pain / soreness is going to be there, it's gotten worse since Monday. Psychologically, it’s impossible psyching yourself up knowing that even on a marginal descent you’re going to feel a load of pain. I was doing the deadlift today, which was difficult but enjoyable - that's what the squats used to be like before I got this pain around my thighs. I'm going to keep stretching and ditch them next week and allow my lower body to recover.

I’m going to start doing this hip mobility exercise twice a day and hopefully it will help alleviate this pain:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1jC1sWTUFc&feature=my_favorites&list=FLwJ Tb0gtm16Iurjx9iYYbbQ[/url]

It means I don’t really have a proper leg exercise for a while, but I can still do deadlift so hopefully that’ll be alright.

Search for more here: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/smittydiesel[/URL]
    Please do not PM support requests. Post them ->[URL="https://www.jefit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-JEFIT-App-and-Website-Questions"]here[/URL]<-.
    -=Justin=- [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/JustinDoles"]@JustinDoles[/URL] - IG: [URL="https://instagram.com/justin_doles/"]justin_doles[/URL]- Fueled by Nerd Rage

[URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?6753-Deviation-s-Secret-Public-Log"]* Workout Log[/URL] | [URL="http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?16131-5-3-1-Workbook-Spreadsheet-Resources"]5/3/1 Workbook + Resources[/URL]

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Search for more here: [URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/smittydiesel[/URL]
    Thanks for that - I've ordered a foam roller which should arrive early next week; I'll start doing that everday. I'm going to leave the squats next week and try ease myself back into them the following week. I think I'll do deadlift everyday, albeit on a medium weight, to compensate for the lack of squats until I start them again.

Experienced Member
    Week 9

Monday

Overhead press 37.5kg 5/5/5/4/4

Barbell Row 45kg 5/5/5/4/3

Deadlift 70kg 5/5/5/5/5

Wednesday

Bench Press 47.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Deadlift 100kg 4

Friday

Overhead Press 37.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Barbell Row 45kg 5/5/5/5/5

As I mentioned last week, I ditched the squats because of pain in my hips / glutes. I've been stretching everyday - leg swings, rotational squats, split squats & lateral squats. Foam roller still hasn't arrived though.

Progress on most things; failed the deadlift because of the plates I've got (octagon), means they invariably roll forward when I put the bar down messing up the next rep. Also, the bar is slipping through my hands, so I lack grip strength - again I'm waiting for chalk to arrive. There's not much I can do really to progress unless are get some new kit in for when I do the exercise.

Substituted the squats for deadlifts on Monday. My hip flexors & glutes were feeling okay today so I did some light squats: 1x10 @ 20kg; 1 x 10 @ 30kg; 2 x 10 @ 40kg. Felt okay, a bit of pain in my right quad - could really do with this foam roller. I've noticed when doing the streches that I'm more flexible on my left leg than my right leg; just need this foam roller to turn up and hopefully I shouldn't have any more problems with pain / discomfort.

I've included barbell curls into the programme now as well, which I do at the end of every session. 3 sets of 8.

All in all the programme is going okay, haven't had any major changes in my physique. Massively behind on the squats though - should be on about 80kg/85kg but have only managed 60kg so far because of issues with pain etc.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member amcredle's Avatar
    Squats can be tricky. Make sure your properly warming up. Do some mobility stuff also. I know when I started out with 5x5 i had some issues with squats also. For me it was mainly a form issue. i was able to work through the pain. Just keep plugging away. dont totally abandon the squat as its a major part of the 5x5 program.

As far as changes in your body. It will come. I think it was somewhere between week 8 and 12 i really started noticing a difference. then after week 12 I took some time off and ran the program over again. letting me focus on form and i made even more gains inspite of the fact i started point 0 again.

I know 5x5 has you squatting alot also. so maybe in a few weeks you might want to consider madcow or wendlers. because it allowes you more recovery time rather then squatting every other day.
    MY Journey From Weak to STRONG
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9387-Alex-s-Work-out-Log]My JEFIT LOG[/url] || [url=http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/] Stronglifts 5x5 INFO[/url]|| [url=http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/amcredle/]MY BODYSPACE[/url] ||[url=http://www.contractplayer.com/nba2kx/index.php/]NBA2k LEAGUE[/url]
    Info On How To
    [url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9834-The-bench-press]Bench[/url]||[url=http://www.jefit.com/forum/showthread.php?9889-Squat-help]Squat[/url]

Experienced Member
    Week 10

Monday

Squat 55kg 5/5/5/5/5

Bench press 50kg 5/5/3/3/3

Deadlift 100kg 4

Wednesday

Squat 57.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Overhead Press 40kg 5/4/2/0/0

Barbell Rows 47.5kg 5/5/4/3/2

Friday

Squat 60kg 5/5/5/5/5

Bench Press 50kg 5/5/5/5/2

Deadlift 100kg 5

Week 11

Monday

Light - 2x10 at 40kg

Overhead press 40kg 5/5/5/0/0

Wednesday

Squat 62.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Bench Press 50kg 5/5/5/5/5

Deadlift 90kg 5

Friday

Squat 65kg 5/5/5/2/2

Overhead Press 40kg 5/5/5/3/3

Barbell Row 47.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Been a couple of weeks since I updated.

Was a light day on Monday because of a heavy weekend.

Deadlift is a no go until I get some 25kg plates.

I failed the squats yesterday which I was annoyed / surprised at - I attempted them much later than I usually do, around 7:30 which was a bit late so I was tired. I don't know if my legs ran out of juice or the failure was more due to psychology, i.e., me not being up for doing them. Everything else I'm making progress.
    Last edited by WinstonPerry; 10-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amcredle View Post
    Squats can be tricky. Make sure your properly warming up. Do some mobility stuff also. I know when I started out with 5x5 i had some issues with squats also. For me it was mainly a form issue. i was able to work through the pain. Just keep plugging away. dont totally abandon the squat as its a major part of the 5x5 program.

As far as changes in your body. It will come. I think it was somewhere between week 8 and 12 i really started noticing a difference. then after week 12 I took some time off and ran the program over again. letting me focus on form and i made even more gains inspite of the fact i started point 0 again.

I know 5x5 has you squatting alot also. so maybe in a few weeks you might want to consider madcow or wendlers. because it allowes you more recovery time rather then squatting every other day.
    I haven't had any major issues with pain since I started doing mobility exercises / stretches everyday. Hopefully the pain won't return.

I'm massively behind on where I should be on squats on the programme - only on 65kg when if I'd managed to progress without issue I'd be on about 100kg by now; not majorly fussed by that because I'm of the opinion that it's a bit unrealistic to progress unhindered if you've never squatted before. Going to take it nice and slow; reckon I'll get to about 85kg/90kg before I need to have rethink on the volume of squats I'm doing; might switch to increments per week rather than per session and / or drop to 3x5.

Experienced Member
    Got a problem with the squats -

As I said above, I did 65kg on Saturday and managed 5/5/5/2/2; tried to do 65kg today (a day later) and managed 5 reps and then 2 before the bar just flattened me, I tried 60kg but again the bar just flattened - I think my legs were pretty battered after that one set. So I deloaded to 50kg and did 5 sets and then I did 2 sets at 55kg - were pretty straightforward / easy.

65kg is pretty heavy for me; I'm definitely maxing out in terms of effort, so I don't know if my complete failure is because I didn't have long enough rest from Saturday and / or it's just too heavy. Probably a combination of both.

What should I do for the rest of the week? Build up strength and stick to 60kg or 62.5kg for the rest of the week? Or try a light week this week to allow my legs to fully recover. My legs feel a bit battered after today.
    Last edited by WinstonPerry; 10-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Experienced Member
    Week 12 - Month 3

Monday

Squat 50kg 5/5/5/5/5

Bench press 52.5kg 5/5/3/3/3

Deadlift 100kg 5

Wednesday

Squat 60kg 5/5/5/5/5

Overhead Press 40kg 5/4/4/2/2

Barbell Rows 50kg 5/5/4/3/2

Friday

Squat 62.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Bench Press 52.5kg 5/5/3/4/3

Deadlift 100kg 5

That's three months of Stronglifts now:

Current lifts:

Squat: 0 > 65kg
    OHP: 0 > 40kg
    BP: 0 > 52.5kg
    Row: 0 > 50kg
    Dead: 0 > 100kg

Not too bad, disappointed on the squats, would've hoped to have done better but had issue with form / pain that held me back. Deadlift has hit a rut because I need some 25kg plates, but they should arrive next week.

Changes have been marginal, most difference in my legs and shoulders; I reckon the next three months will be key when the weights start to get much heavier.

I've added barbell curls as an ancillary exercise - I've had pain in my left arm during squats that appears because I'm tensing when descending - I think that's come about because of the curls and is a pain in my bicep. Hopefully it'll recede in time.

Experienced Member
    Week 13

Monday

Squat 65kg 5/5/5/5/5

Overhead press 40kg 5/5/4/3/2

Barbell Rows 50kg 5/5/5/5/5

Wednesday

Squat 67.5kg 5/5/5/3/0

Bench Press 52.5kg 5/5/5/5/5

Deadlift 100kg 5

Friday

Squat 67.5kg 5/5/5/4/0

Overhead press 40kg 5/5/5/5/7

Barbell Rows 52.5kg 5/5/4/3/3

Mixed bag this week.

Progress on the presses - did an extra set of 5 on the BP and was pretty easy / straightforward.

On my sixth attempt on the OHP at 40kg I finally managed it - it was pretty easy and I managed 7 reps on the last set. It's funny how apparent the strength gains can materialise - one moment I can only manage 2 reps on the last set, the next I can do 7.

Squats are my least favourite exercise, and comparing to others' logs who are of a similar body type / weight, it's pretty clear I'm lagging - maybe I have exceptionally weak legs - I don't know. I managed to do 3x5 on both occasions but I failed on the last two sets. I'm okay after the three, but during the fourth I'm completely knackered.

Two questions really:

Should I keep at the 5x5 for now or should I switch to 3x5 and progress to 70kg insofar as the squats are concerned?

Also, during this week and last week I've been finding that the squats have been absolutely killing my arms - they were so sore after the fourth set today that I can hardly grip the bar for the attempted fifth set; in-fact, I was tempted to ditch the set altogether because of my arms.

I think it might be the joint, but I have no pain extending my arm and the soreness largely recedes after training, also, it hasn't been affecting my BP or OHP, although my arms feel especially weak after doing the squats. The pain / soreness seems to be around my upper bicep / tricep, near the crease of my elbow. My left bicep especially hurts - I think it might be because I'm gripping the bar so tightly as I'm grinding out reps. Has anyone else experienced this?