Advice on programmes please

Hi there,

I'm a 43 yr old male. I've been going to the gym for about a year.
    I weight 110kgs and have a bit of body fat (small gut and man boobs)
    I've been doing a 4 day split of Mon-Chest/Tri's, Tues-Back/Bi's, Wed-off, Thurs-Legs, Fri-Shoulders
    With travelling alot for work I have often missed a day, or sometimes an entire week.
    Although I'm the strongest I've ever been, and I mean ever, I'm a bit disappointed with my physical progress and am looking at changing my routine.
    I supplement with whey and creatine and occasionally take pre workouts.

I know that I need to work on my diet BIG time but just when I was able to hit the gym really hard, I've developed tennis elbow so have had to can bicep work totally and most shoulder work too.

Currently I do a 4 day split with 5 sets and 12-8 reps
    Chest/Tris
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Decline bench
    Machine flys
    Cable crossovers
    Tri pushdowns
    Cable rope Overhead Tri extension

Back/Bi's
    Lat pulldown
    Seated cable row
    Deadlifts (3 sets of 10 reps)
    Close grip pulldowns
    Bicep exercises stopped due to tennis elbow injury

Legs
    Leg press
    Leg extension
    Leg curls
    Calf press

Shoulders
    Military press
    Shrugs
    Rear delt flys
    all other shoulder exercises stopped due to tennis elbow injury

Like I say, I'm the strongest I've ever been and my girlfriend has noticed that my shoulders/back are wider but I'm gutted that I've had to stop shoulder work and biceps but I'm hoping that my bi's will get a bit of work from my back day.

To switch it up a little, I'm considering a 2 day split so I can hit each muscle group twice a week. I figure that this may give me the growth I'm looking for.
    I'm also gonna hit the cardio, now Xmas is over, to drop bodyfat.

Any advice on 2 day splits or otherwise would be great.

Cheers

Darren

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    You may be over anxious as to progress. IF you train at OPTIMAL levels and IF you have proper nutrition, you can only expect to gain about 1 pound (or even only 1/2 a pound) of muscle per week. Twice a week whole body is great, but don't overdo it. Remember...

9 to 15 weekly sets - Large Muscle Groups (chest, back, shoulders and quads)
    6 to 9 weekly sets - Small Muscle Groups (biceps, triceps, calves, abs and hamstrings)
    0 to 3 weekly sets - Minor Muscle Groups (lower back, forearms, rear delts and traps)

If your shoulder is bothering you, you may want to can the barbell bench press or a bit. It can be hard of the shoulders for some... like me. Dumbbell and cable chest exercises are easier on the shoulders. You may want to focus on these until your shoulder feels better.