Experienced Member

A Single Exercise

This is probably a bit of a strange question, but anyway -

Training day was today and it didn't go well at all - had no energy and wasn't really up for going to war with myself in trying to progress on the heavy lifts. Squats were poor and had to take a 15kg deload just to get 3x5 which is ridiculous - just wasn't up for it.

Anyway, I did everything else with limited results barring deadlift because I just wasn't really up for it - I was going to squeeze it in on my next session but I have some free time tomorrow so was thinking of just going and doing it then? Are there any negatives in doing a single exercise like deadlift on its own as opposed to doing it in and amongst other exercises in a full session?

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    The only problem is that both deads and squats put pressure on your lower back. Because of this, some put them on the same day and others separate them 3+ day apart. So your answer... just watch out for your lower back.

On a side note: If your lack of zeal comes after a really hard workout, or several days of hard workouts, you may have overworked your central nervous system. If such is the case, you may need to deload.

First and foremost, listen to your body. Do what you can and push for results, but if your body says no, then it means no.

Some exercises benefit from running between one and the other immediately, but really it's just to train your bodys different energy systems to respond the way you want them to. I wouldn't say there's any negative to doing one on it's own. I'd say there's the positive aspect of you having more energy to put into that specific workout, and really pushing it and tearing down those muscle fibers. Something is better than nothing.

Experienced Member
    Thanks for both your input.

I was checking my log and I had a similar workout experience about a week or so ago - I'm still a novice lifter, I weigh about 77kg and my squat's only 95kg, so would fatigue of that nature still be relevant? Obviously heavy lifting is relative to the individual, but my understanding was that fatigue or burnouts were usually part and parcel for intermediate / experienced weight lifters?

Having said that, I do know that when I got to 67.5kg on the squat I felt very burnt out and took a couple of weeks lifting lighter / not taxing myself too much and I managed to progress past it relatively easy.

I may take next week as a deload just to see if it helps - I've been stuck on 92.5kg / 95kg for nearly a month now.

Sounds like you need to switch it up, do a leg press on a machine for a few weeks instead of squats, then come back to it

Totally agree with steven on the switching off. When was the last time you took an actual break from lifting? Recently had a buddy in the gym that was sluggish and just didn't feel like working out. I asked him when was the last time you took like a week off and he said 8 months ago. Sometimes you need to just take a break and let your body rest.
    "Just show up" - ScarTissueMMA

Experienced Member
    Haven't had a solid week off since November - what I think I'll do is leave the taxing stuff like squats and deadlift and just do the presses this week and get back on it the following week.

that's not a solid week off haha. RELAX. you're not gonna get fat in 7 days. Wake up, do some pushups and situps, call it a day. Come back next week with the fury of a thousand suns.