Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    How many deadhang pullups can you do?

    Anybody claiming 20 or more are going to have to produce video evidence!

  2. #2
    I ask because everyone seems to shy away from them in my gym! I do weighted chin ups and pull ups...reps 7, 4, 4, pull ups with weight 20kg, 17.5kg, 15kg but i've never actually tried to max out with just bodyweight. Recently i have been doing one further set at the end with just body weight to work the muscles a bit more and done 15 quite swiftly. Maybe i'll try in the future but i think a lot of people are missing a very good exercise. I'm not that big but i'm more interested in being that strong.

    Thanks for taking part

    dreamydayz

  3. #3
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    248
    I do about 10... Weighted with 25lbs only 5... but then again I'm 220lbs.

    Dead-hang pull-ups are a bit easier when your 165lbs.

  4. #4
    @quintanilljoseph...I am impressed and that is a very valid point. I will never be 220lbs but i am 165Lbs on purpose. I always sacrifice muscular bulk for all round strength & fitness. Trust me, when your 44 like me or older you don't want to be carrying around the bulk. Or you'll be having heart bypasses like Arnold. My pullups, chin ups and dips are all weighted...like Robert said, i wanna be like I'm still in college...

  5. #5
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertrogo View Post
    took out the pull-up bars
    Whoa!

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamydayz View Post
    you'll be having heart bypasses like Arnold
    Schwarzenegger used anabolic steroids and therefor his heart problems… If you know of a medical link between natural muscle bulk and heart problems, please share. I’d be very interested in reading such as my understanding is that strength training is beneficial to our heart.

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamydayz View Post
    I always sacrifice muscular bulk for all round strength & fitness
    You don’t have to sacrifice one to attain the other… In fact, without muscular bulk you wouldn't have strength & fitness. More often than not, they go hand-in-hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamydayz View Post
    Trust me, when your 44 like me or older you don't want to be carrying around the bulk.
    I haven’t been 165 lbs since high school (back then I could almost pump out 35). I'm 41 now and can't hit those numbers anymore, but trust me, I don’t want to be that skinny anymore either.
    Last edited by QuintanillJoseph; 06-12-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Reworded

  6. #6
    If you know of a medical link between natural muscle bulk and heart problems, please share. I’d be very interested in reading such as my understanding is that strength training is beneficial to our heart.
    That's the thing about the internet, you can generally find information to prove or disprove a point...

    [URL="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16847387"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16847387[/URL]

    I wouldn't however be able to say how much of an affect this is having on the general population.

    You don’t have to sacrifice one to attain the other… In fact, without muscular bulk you wouldn't have strength & fitness. More often than not, they go hand-in-hand.
    I agree with you that they go hand-in-hand but when i say sacrifice I mean an anaerobic routine without the presence of a good aerobic workout routine.

    I haven’t been 165 lbs since high school (back then I could almost pump out 35). I'm 41 now and can't hit those numbers anymore, but trust me, I don’t want to be that skinny anymore either.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that 165lbs is that skinny...but thanks for the comments.

    Much appreciated

    sorry, haven't quite figured out how to quote using originally posted by

  7. #7
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    248
    I've actually read that: Strenuous exertion + high blood pressure has lead to aortic dissection. But, yea, doesn't apply to the general population. There are just too many benefits to strength training to have the slim chance of aortic dissection deter them. Certainly something to keep in mind when power lifting though.

    As to everything else, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I disagree with almost everything you say. Peace out.

  8. #8
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertrogo View Post
    4 smith machines which you can set up and get some pull ups done.
    Kinda like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smith Machine.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	68067

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    30+ on a warmup

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7
    Im 206- Dead hang with 45lbs 10x, 90lbs 5x, no weight 30+

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •