Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-hour diet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

8-hour diet

Okay, so I've been reading the '8-Hour Diet" and trying to learn some more about intermittent fasting and alternate day fasting.

I've read about how alternate day fasting can lower risk for diabetes, heart disease, and even lower bad cholesterol levels. A guy I work with said that fasting like that is worse for my health.

I am thinking about doing the Alternate Day fasting, but curious about how it will affect my workout routines. What potential risks am I taking by doing this diet vs the 8hour diet and still keeping up my workout schedule [lift every other day, cardio on days I don't lift]?

jsjsbm

Quote Originally Posted by SnapperW947 View Post
    Okay, so I've been reading the '8-Hour Diet" and trying to learn some more about intermittent fasting and alternate day fasting.

I've read about how alternate day fasting can lower risk for diabetes, heart disease, and even lower bad cholesterol levels. A guy I work with said that fasting like that is worse for my health.

I am thinking about doing the Alternate Day fasting, but curious about how it will affect my workout routines. What potential risks am I taking by doing this diet vs the 8hour diet and still keeping up my workout schedule [lift every other day, cardio on days I don't lift]?

I'm going to come out and say it.... This is stupid! DO NOT FAST

You are not only going to reduce recovery, lose muscle... you are going to severly F**k up protein and carbohydrate metabolism for the rest of your life. Paleo and all that stuff very dangerous - the guy at your work is right, whether he knows jack squat about it or not. cholesterol is tricky... this is where manipulating carbohydrates temporarily COULD help you out... unless you are just eating like crap that is

Banned
    I like your 8 hour diet. You are using good food.

I am one of the people that does intermittent fasting and have to disagree with rickdennis, think of Ramadan, I will say research into it as much as possible but personally, I may be one of the lucky ones, but I started doing it after being told of possible heart defects but since then have been gaining a lot more lean muscle and do t seem to be suffering anywhere else. I did spend a lot of time researching, spoke to a few personal trainers and my cardiologist before doing anything but the most awkward part is meal and workout timing. I have got to the stage where I can go in the gym after a protein shake consisting of around 30 grams protein, feel more focused than I did if I was eating before a workout bit I time them so that the minute I leave the gym it's about feeding time so the muscles are wanting the nutrients and absorb them rapidly. I can't say it enough though, before you do intermittent fasting or even every other day fasting, research as much as possible, it is a shock to the bodies system and I've seen people try it, work out and instantly become dizzy or ill where their body can't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1983 View Post
    I am one of the people that does intermittent fasting and have to disagree with rickdennis, think of Ramadan, I will say research into it as much as possible but personally, I may be one of the lucky ones, but I started doing it after being told of possible heart defects but since then have been gaining a lot more lean muscle and do t seem to be suffering anywhere else. I did spend a lot of time researching, spoke to a few personal trainers and my cardiologist before doing anything but the most awkward part is meal and workout timing. I have got to the stage where I can go in the gym after a protein shake consisting of around 30 grams protein, feel more focused than I did if I was eating before a workout bit I time them so that the minute I leave the gym it's about feeding time so the muscles are wanting the nutrients and absorb them rapidly. I can't say it enough though, before you do intermittent fasting or even every other day fasting, research as much as possible, it is a shock to the bodies system and I've seen people try it, work out and instantly become dizzy or ill where their body can't take it.
    It's easy to disagree with me, and even recite various citations however.... have you ever been a musclar 200 or muscluar 250 (not a fat 250)? Probably not. Because if you were then you know how crucial eating is and how heavily correlated it is to maintaining muscle or building. I.F. will attack muscle (especially in those with high bodyfat) and re=program to store fat rapdily.

Also Ramadan.... ummm ok.... have you ever seen a jacked dude at least 200 Lbs who is involved in ramadan? I haven't.....

I am on the 8 hour diet, fasting for 16 hrs. Actually, it works out very well me. I haven't been hungry hardly at all. It seems natural to me. I got started on it because this is part of the diet that Hugh Jackman has said he used to get into shape for The Wolverine. And yes Rick, he is between 200-250 and very lean/muscular.

From my research the 8/16 diet actually started with bodybuilders and gained popularity in the weight loss fad sense. If you eat all the necessary calories and macros then what difference does it make if it's in 8 hours or 12? Well, many people claim it's actually beneficial to do it in 8 hours instead.

I would suggest, like tiger says, research a lot, and make sure you are cleared by a physician, and try it out.

Experienced Member Wade Razella's Avatar
    Most religions use periods of fasting as a means of demonstrating faith or penitence, and an opportunity for spiritual reflection. Fasting has also historically been a means to express political views and a form of protest.
    Though it may not be the most practical -- or safest -- diet, some people use fasting as a way to lose weight or to cleanse the body of toxins, although some experts say our bodies are perfectly equipped with organs that already do the job. How fasting is used for weight loss varies by diet. Some fasting diets involve drinking nothing but water or eating only raw foods for a period of one or more days, while others restrict food on alternate days. Certain fasting diets only allow liquids like water, juice, or tea, while others dramatically cut calories but do not eliminate food altogether.
    Does Fasting Help You Lose Weight?

When you fast, your body is forced to dip into energy stores to get the fuel it needs to keep going, so you will lose weight. The big question is how long you will keep that weight off. Because food was often scarce for our ancestors, our bodies have been genetically programmed to combat the effects of fasting. When you eat less food, your metabolism slows down to conserve energy. Then, when you go back to your usual diet, your lowered metabolism may cause you to store more energy, meaning that you will probably gain back the weight you lost and possibly even put on more weight when eating the same calories you did before the fast.
    As you fast, your body will adjust by reducing your appetite, so you will initially feel less hungry. But once you have stopped fasting, your appetite hormones will kick back into gear and you may actually feel hungrier and be more likely to binge.
    Research has shown that fasting on alternate days can help people lose weight, but not for long. In one study, people who followed an alternate-day fasting diet shed weight, even when they ate all they wanted on the nonfasting days. However, they could not maintain the weight loss over time.
    Can Fasting Detoxify the Body?

Some fasting diets claim that they can cleanse the body of impurities. However, there is no evidence that fasting detoxifies your body, or that your body even needs to be detoxified. It is naturally designed to remove toxins through the skin (by sweating), liver, colon, and kidneys.
    Could Fasting Help You Live Longer?

Studies of fasting in both rodents and humans appear to indicate a connection between calorie restriction and longevity. In one study of overweight men and women, a calorie-restricted diet improved markers of aging, such as insulin level and body temperature.
    Fasting might also improve longevity by delaying the onset of age-related diseases including Alzheimer's, heart disease, and diabetes. One study showed that skipping meals once a month, as members of the Mormon religious group do, reduces the risk of clogged arteries (the build-up of plaque that can lead to heart attacks and strokes). However, it is not clear from this research whether fasting alone or the Mormons' generally healthier lifestyle (they also abstain from coffee, alcohol, and smoking) is responsible for the improved heart health.
    Researchers do not yet know whether the effects of fasting translate into an actual increase in lifespan, because they have not followed people for long enough periods of time. However the concept of intermittent fasting, such as skipping a meal purposefully on an intermittent basis, is gaining attention. It appears to be a relatively safe way to reduce caloric intake that is easier for some people to do. The data however is not there yet nor is this an accepted practice.

Fasting for a day or two probably won't hurt people who are generally healthy, provided they maintain an adequate fluid intake. However, fasting entirely for long periods of time can be harmful. Your body needs a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients from food to stay healthy. Not getting enough of these nutrients during fasting diets can lead to symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, constipation, dehydration, gallstones, and cold intolerance. It is possible to die if you fast too long.
    Even short-term fasting is not recommended for people with type I diabetes, because it can lead to dangerous dips and spikes in blood sugar. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or anyone with a chronic disease, should not fast.
    Before you go on any type of new diet, particularly one that involves fasting, talk to your doctor to find out whether it is safe and appropriate for you. Also ask your doctor to refer you to a registered dietitian, who can show you how to design a healthy eating plan.

Nerd fitness has a great article on intermittent fasting. I used IF last spring to help me lose 25 pounds and it worked great for me. I learned about IF from watching the Hodgetwins videos on YouTube. I did the 8 hour window of eating. I was eating 1800-2000 calories in that window. Really all I was doing was skipping breakfast. I actually makes it a little easier to plan your meals and macros for the day. I haven't tried it for bulking but I haven't ruled it out either. As long as you eat clean, give it a try and see how it works for you.

Hey guys with knowlegde and rickdennis with old rumours.
    You both really should go to [url]www.rippedbody.jp[/url] and [url]www.leangains.com[/url] - there is LOTS of very good guides how intermittend fasting works and how you should eat and train while fasting with Leangains method.
    16 hours per day is fasting and in rest of 8 hours you should eat daily calories from rightfully calculated macros.
    Go there and learn for yourself - I did and I feel better and stronger than ever! Ou´ and like WolverineX said about hunger feeling - I wont feel starving or hungry even after 16h fasting, but still have to eat daily calories to keep going without losing muscles!

Wow this kind of post I want to read, honestly it really helps me about my [url=http://superhumanradio.com/shr-1111-is-your-training-style-a-fast-track-to-the-grave-plus-the-perfect-health-diet.html/]Diet[/url]. Looking forward to your next post.