Thread: Diet Plan

Experienced Member

Diet Plan

Right, I'm finally going to start this cut tomorrow - I'm aiming to lose between 14lbs-20lbs in 3 months.

My maintenance is about 2,100 calories; I'm aiming for a daily calorie intake of about 1,600 - so a 500 calorie deficit per day, equating to 3,500 a week. Hopefully that should be 1 pound of fat loss from the diet alone.

I'm going to equally be sticking to my usual 3 day p/w full body routine, which is a squat based routine. I think I should be burning between 600 calories - 900 calories depending on what exercises I'm doing (i.e. deadlift day will be higher) - average is 750 calories, so that's an additional 2,250 calories a week burnt.

5,750 calories a week should hopefully be at least 1.5lbs of fat lost a week. So that's what I'm aiming for: 1.5lbs. I don't think I'll need any cardio given how low my calorie intake is.

My diet itself is split as: 56/20/24 - protein / cab / fat respectively. (180g protein; 60g carb; 77g fat), so it's pretty low carb diet:

Breakfast
    4 x Eggs
    Protein Shake
    Banana

Lunch
    50g Cashew Nuts
    Apple
    Protein Shake
    100g Biltong

Dinner
    170g Gammon Steak

Snack
    Protein Shake

What does everyone think? Ideally I would have liked to have gone higher some how on the fats, but at 9 calories per gram I just couldn't fit it all in at 1,600 calories.

Cheers.

Experienced Member phil_goodman's Avatar
    What about vegetables? And complex carbs from whole grains? I eat bananas after a workout to get potassium while replacing glucogon, but apples don't provide any micro-nutrients outside of Vitamin C -- you'd be better off swapping it for a green salad at lunch, and covering the lost carbs with a whole wheat bread or the like. I'd also get more of my protein from natural, high Omega-3 sources such as oily fish (instead of 3 shakes a day).

Cheers

Experienced Member johnheather43913's Avatar
    Winston, What is your nutrition plan around your workout? I would say this is the most important time....especially on a cut.

There are a lot of opinions, but I would throw most of those 60g of carb in around my workout. Mostly right after my workout to preserve as much lean tissue as possible. I would live off my fat the rest of the time and supplement with bcaa's throughout the day to minimize lean tissue loss.

How lean are you trying to get? The leaner you get the more the ratio of any losses will shift toward lean tissue. Personally, unless you're competing, I'm not sure the effort and lean tissue loss is worth going much below 10%. But then again, I'm 41 and married so it's not like I'm trying to get laid.....that might change my outlook.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_goodman View Post
    What about vegetables? And complex carbs from whole grains? I eat bananas after a workout to get potassium while replacing glucogon, but apples don't provide any micro-nutrients outside of Vitamin C -- you'd be better off swapping it for a green salad at lunch, and covering the lost carbs with a whole wheat bread or the like. I'd also get more of my protein from natural, high Omega-3 sources such as oily fish (instead of 3 shakes a day).

Cheers
    Protein & fat is my primary concern; after I have requisite amount of each - which is about 180g protein / 75g fat - I make up the rest in carbs. It doesn't leave that much for carbs, but it isn't a big deal really: carbs aren't a necessity in cutting and 60g of carbs, although on the lowish side, isn't a 'low carb diet'. As such, I can't fit in anymore fruit & veg - but again it's not a big deal, I can supplement for that.

I likewise supplement for Omega-3; but certainly 3 protein shakes equates to 60g of protein for 300 calories - I simply can't get that amount of protein without any other energy source; if I could I would include something like oily fish, but it's far too fatty not enough protein and far too high in calories.

Experienced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnheather43913 View Post
    Winston, What is your nutrition plan around your workout? I would say this is the most important time....especially on a cut.

There are a lot of opinions, but I would throw most of those 60g of carb in around my workout. Mostly right after my workout to preserve as much lean tissue as possible. I would live off my fat the rest of the time and supplement with bcaa's throughout the day to minimize lean tissue loss.

How lean are you trying to get? The leaner you get the more the ratio of any losses will shift toward lean tissue. Personally, unless you're competing, I'm not sure the effort and lean tissue loss is worth going much below 10%. But then again, I'm 41 and married so it's not like I'm trying to get laid.....that might change my outlook.
    I eat carbs throughout the day and don't carb time - but I supplement heavily with EAAs before, during, and after workouts; I likewise take in about 10g a day regardless; workout days it's closer to 20g-22g, so I don't think I'll experience much muscle loss in that respect. Having said, not that you mention it I probably will start eating the carbs before + after workout.

I'm no where near 10% - you can't even see my abs at the moment; I'd say I'm probably about 20% give or take, but I just carry it wll because I'm tall; I'm not looking to get shredded, I'm just looking to lean up a bit. I reckon I need to lose about 12lbs-15lbs of fat, which is doable. Because my bodyfat is on the highish side I'm not that worried about muscle loss.
    Last edited by WinstonPerry; 07-23-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Experienced Member johnheather43913's Avatar
    Winston,

Keep us posted on your success.

I've cut fat quite a few times and have done it several different ways with good success. I've also gone off the tracks and messed up my adrenals....Each time I've learned something about myself and nutrition.

Good luck!

Experienced Member
    Finished the first month now -

First two weeks I lost 10lbs in total - which was what I expected. I reckon there's probably only a pound, possibly two of fat loss there, the rest being water weight.

The last two weeks I've averaged 2lbs per week - so 4 in total, which is better than expected. I estimated that I should be losing about 1.7lbs a week, so this is better; maybe the fat burners I'm taking has had a pretty decent effect.

Unfortunately my tricep is playing up again - I took two weeks off from doing the presses then resumed them, albeit at a lighter weight. I got up to 50kg for the overhead press & 70kg for the bench press, then after Wednesday's session the tricep didn't feel quite right.

It's not painful like it was, but it feels a bit tight and not 100% - I did a warmup of 60kg on the bench yesterday then decided to leave it.

It was okay the whole of last week so I've obviously increased the weight too fast.

It feels better today so what I'll have to do is leave Monday and give it four full days of recovery, by which time it should feel fine, then I'll have to cap the weight on the presses at 40-45kg for overhead press & 60kg-65kg for bench press, but for the next two weeks keep it at the 10 repetition range at 35kg for overhead press & 50kg for bench.

I'll have to scrap anything that focuses on triceps - so no tri extensions or close grip bench press - and just generally keep the presses very light for the next two months whilst I'm still cutting.

I'll probably lose a fair bit of strength, hopefully I'll lose no mass given I'm still doing the presses, albeit at a lighter weight; better that than continue to punish my tricep tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_goodman View Post

Cheers
    THIS

I would actually eat closer to maintanence calories because recomposition and muscle maintanence purposes,, unless your less than 10% BF

Fatty foods and lack of exercise caused fatness and weight gain. Avoid all high protein food like meats, nuts, grains, cheese, fast foods, fried and dairy products. Eat fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, drink green tea, fruit juices and plenty of water. Go for walking, running, cycling, practice push ups, bench press and chair squat. It burns fat,make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve heart functions and improve fitness.
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQp0-xCC-I]Tacoma boot camp[/url]
    Last edited by david482; 11-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.