New to the game and its not helping my workouts.

Hey guys this is my first post here, I could really use some help on getting my body together. I've tried several workouts with the app and loved it but I'm not really getting the results I'm looking for. I played sports in high school like most people but they were all cardio so I was super slim. Now that I'm a few years older I'm trying to gain a little bit of muscle mass and cut up everything else. I don't have the money for a gym membership but I a great deal of running still and I just bought a Ab Wheel, 2 35lb kettlebells and a pull-up bar thats says I can do dips and push-ups with. I have a pretty scrawny chest in my opinion and I have started gaining weight in my lower abdomen which I'm stopping now. So any clue on to how to get me where I want to be with what I have or do I need to get more to reach my goal? Any links or emails are fine I'm just trying to get my body to where I'd be happy.

Experienced Member Wade Razella's Avatar
    Okay no problem can you give me some more detail about yourself and what are you goals. There is a lot of help for you here and Nutrition is the first one I would be working on first while you are figuring out your workout program. Post a sample of what your nutrition looks like here too.

I appreciate the reply Wade, well I'm 5'10 my weight drops any where to 157lbs to 170lbsdependimh if I'm tunning or just doing standard workouts. I'm pretty slim due to my build. I eat salads and baked meats foods regularly combined with a good deal of cold cuts. I don't drink sodas. My normal workout a day consist of maybe 60-70 push-ups , 100-150 sit-ups and a 3-4mi run. I looking for a deeper an cut and a little bit of growth in my chest and some definition to arms and back. I can run for days but my body isn't showing and that's really the end result I'm looking for from the tools I have. I'm not trying to get huge but I'd like not to look like a 17yr working a Starbucks that like to snack.

Have you tried kettlebell swings? I used to do them alot as a full body warmup, squatting with the feet around shoulder width apart and the kettle bell hanging between the legs as you push to a stand you swing the kettlebell up to about 45 degrees above the head then return to squat and repeat. I used to do 20 of those followed by 10 press ups into 20 swings and minus 1 press each time. Alot of different kettlebell swings on Youtube but they are a great workout tool

Quote Originally Posted by mykalz View Post
    I appreciate the reply Wade, well I'm 5'10 my weight drops any where to 157lbs to 170lbsdependimh if I'm tunning or just doing standard workouts. I'm pretty slim due to my build. I eat salads and baked meats foods regularly combined with a good deal of cold cuts. I don't drink sodas. My normal workout a day consist of maybe 60-70 push-ups , 100-150 sit-ups and a 3-4mi run. I looking for a deeper an cut and a little bit of growth in my chest and some definition to arms and back. I can run for days but my body isn't showing and that's really the end result I'm looking for from the tools I have. I'm not trying to get huge but I'd like not to look like a 17yr working a Starbucks that like to snack.
    May I ask your age? Also you day you eat a lot of cold cuts is this homemade or store bought?
    How many meals to you eat in a day? Do you use portion control or calorie counting method ?
    How much water to you drink in a day? Do you use supplements if yes what types? Also if you are using supplements what do you think they are doing for you?

How many workouts do you do for the week?

This is the type of details you need to post for effective suggestions. I did not look at your profile sorry maybe you have this information there already.

No problem I'm 22, all of them are homemade unless I grab something from subway or something. I generally eat about 3-4 meals a day with some snacking in between like a muffin or yogurt and granola. I never count calories, I drink about 4 or 5 bottles of water and maybe a gatorade a day. Nope I haven't used supplements in years when I was it was whey protein for the recovery. I generally workout 5 to 6 times a week. 2 run days, the rest are push-ups, sit-ups, and some light pull-ups mixed in with some other lightweight ab workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by mykalz View Post
    No problem I'm 22, all of them are homemade unless I grab something from subway or something. I generally eat about 3-4 meals a day with some snacking in between like a muffin or yogurt and granola. I never count calories, I drink about 4 or 5 bottles of water and maybe a gatorade a day. Nope I haven't used supplements in years when I was it was whey protein for the recovery. I generally workout 5 to 6 times a week. 2 run days, the rest are push-ups, sit-ups, and some light pull-ups mixed in with some other lightweight ab workouts.
    Based on what you have told me here the positive side is that you are young and have that as a plus. However as I suspected your nutrition is basically high carb high fat diet. I feel you need to work on that nutrition better and then get your self in a exercise routine that fits your goals. As you get older if you do not start eating foods with high nutrient value you going to get into trouble with your health. I know I have been there and bought the t-shirt. I am 47 years old and I type 2 diabetic because of my willingness not to make change when I was your age.

Okay in say that I am not a nutritionist but my suggestion would be this to you. ( I am sure there will be other Jefit members giving you advice as well.)

1. Too much meat weather you make it or not is not good for you. Muffins are nothing but high carbs and fat. Granola bars basically a cookie too many are not good for you. Google Whole Foods and Organic Foods.

Try to have 4 to 5 meals a day with your breakfast being your largest and as your go through your day your meals get smaller and smaller. Properly portion control your meals.

EAT VEGGIES they are great for you and fill you up. Get a good mix of them.

Try to always combine a Protein with a Carb and some veggies. Balance is key and make sure your water intake is 8 to 12 cups of water. Your urine should be a very pale yellow if it is clear like the water then you are drinking to much.

Cut out all the crap food and processed garbage your body never needs that ever.

Eat clean for 6 days and then reward yourself with a cheat meal or day.

Exercise depends on your goals. Mix your programs up and confuse your muscles. Doing them safely and know your body. Listen to it and know your limitations.

I work out 6 days a week 3 days of weight training 3 days of cardio and 1 free day or rest day.

Okay I can go on and on about this I am sure other Jefit members closer to your age will also have something to say.

If you have questions please post them here.

New to the game and its not helping my workouts.

I was the precise same manner. However genuinely all it takes is being sturdy minded. Begin by thinking of [URL="http://www.essayhelpdeal.co.uk/"]UK Essay Writing Service[/URL] trainers all of the reasons why you need to exercise session. Then when the time comes, and you don’t sense love it, simply stand up and do it. Once your there, you are gonna realize "hey this is not so horrific, then after some time it turns into a routine. it was tough for me to exercise session cut I’d set my workout instances to like 6:00 am, so I’d by no means need to arise, but then i started operating out proper after a wakened, because i was fully rested and that i sense amazing now. I’m able to in shape into my thin clothes once more. You just gotta push yourself. No person can tell you what to do, or do it for you. It’s all on you.

I was the precise same manner. However, genuinely all it takes is being durable minded. Begin by thinking of [URL="https://www.essayswritingservice.co.uk/"]Essay Writing Service UK[/URL] trainers all of the explanations why you would like to exercise session. Then once the time comes, and you gift sense to like it, merely get up and screw.

I think a lot of what Wade said to you in his above comment is good, however I think when it comes to a lot of the blanket statements that he made regarding your diet ... well, the evidence is not all in support or against, and what is more is that the evidence is scanty anyway.

When it comes to diet just remember that your body REQUIRES calories, fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. If you go 100% without any of those for an extended period of time, you will die. Depending on what your body is doing it might need different ratios of those three fat/carbs/protein, but it will always need some of each. Minor caloric deficit is how you lose weight (meaning eat less energy than you spend). Major caloric deficit is how you get into trouble, so try to avoid that in general.

Eating bad stuff once in a while is fine. Eating bad stuff everyday is probably also fine in the short term, but in the long term you will probably end up with one or many of a variety of dietary based maladies.

A simple way for beginners to monitor their diet would be to start with a diet journal, without really making any effort to change what you eat ... just log it. Then you know where you are starting. Then identify the foods that you are eating that are exceptionally high in calories, and with a C/F/P ratio balance that is not appropriate for the type of athlete you are (or want to be). Then you know what to cut out. It is very reasonable for a diet to take 6 months to hone and make perfect.

With regard to your workout routine, there are hundreds of bodyweight exercises online for you to find. If you Google "bodyweight workout" or "bodyweight fitness" you will get hundreds of results. There are even entire programs designed specifically around that, and some world class athletes that do only that. So you will certainly be able to find exactly what you are looking to do. Personally, I prefer to pay the money for a gym ... but I have that luxury.

I hope this is helpful in some way!
    Erik