Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness rut

Fitness rut

I am relatively new to weight lifting. Always been a runner in hopes that I would lean out. I have recently stopped running distance (no results). And started weight training. The routine I do is spring into summer and I love it. During the 45 second "rest" period I do hi intensity cardio bursts. I give myself about 5 or 8 seconds to set up and drink some water then start high knees or mountain climbers, sumo jumping jacks...etc, I try to vary the bursts so I don't get bored. So here is my question, I know in getting stronger but when is the scale going to budge. My diet has always been good. I'm not a crazy person about it, but I don't over indulge except on Sundays. I'm just trying to loose about 10-15 lbs. my measurements are not changing and the scale is not budging. It's making me crazy. I'm sure some one can relate, please any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm 33 about 145 lbs, ad 5"7.
    Last edited by siobhanB; 10-26-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Experienced Member Wade Razella's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanB View Post
    I am relatively new to weight lifting. Always been a runner in hopes that I would lean out. I have recently stopped running distance (no results). And started weight training. The routine I do is spring into summer and I love it. During the 45 second "rest" period I do hi intensity cardio bursts. I give myself about 5 or 8 seconds to set up and drink some water then start high knees or mountain climbers, sumo jumping jacks...etc, I try to vary the bursts so I don't get bored. So here is my question, I know in getting stronger but when is the scale going to budge. My diet has always been good. I'm not a crazy person about it, but I don't over indulge except on Sundays. I'm just trying to loose about 10-15 lbs. my measurements are not changing and the scale is not budging. It's making me crazy. I'm sure some one can relate, please any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm 33 about 145 lbs, ad 5"7.
    Thank you for your share and greetings. Okay could you post and example of what you eat in a day and are you using a calorie counting program to measure you food intake?

Also I feel you are going to your scale to much stop it. The scale is evil. I maybe jump on that scale once a year at the Doctor's office. I use measurements and how I feel as my guidelines. In my opinion the scale does more negative thing to you mindset that what it's worth.

Breakfast-plain Greek yogurt, honey, apple peanut butter (tblspn)
    Snack-almonds plain
    Lunch- tuna with lemon olive oil and spinach or a kale salad
    Coffee
    Pre workout-a few crackers or a bananna
    Dinner- lean protein and steamed veg or salad.
    I usually stay around 1200-1400 cal a day. And always have a little piece of chocolate at some point

And I drink 3 liters or more of water a day. And thank you for responding

Quote Originally Posted by siobhanB View Post
    Breakfast-plain Greek yogurt, honey, apple peanut butter (tblspn)
    Snack-almonds plain
    Lunch- tuna with lemon olive oil and spinach or a kale salad
    Coffee
    Pre workout-a few crackers or a bananna
    Dinner- lean protein and steamed veg or salad.
    I usually stay around 1200-1400 cal a day. And always have a little piece of chocolate at some point
    I am concerned about you calorie intake as they seem very low. If you put your body into a starvation mode you slow your metabolism down and you store FAT. I sent you a private message if you would like to change this conversation over to a private one.

If your scale isnt budging you need to adjust your calorie balance. Either eat less or do more cardio. Right now you are eating exactly enough to maintain your current weight. If you eat exactly the same every day, and then add an additional 30 min jog every day to the workout you are already doing the scale will go down, as you will now be -200 calories a day. This theoretically will make you lose 0.4 lb per week. Your maintenance requirement will go down over time of course, and you will have to adjust things.

Quote Originally Posted by fourdegrees11@live.com View Post
    If your scale isnt budging you need to adjust your calorie balance. Either eat less or do more cardio. Right now you are eating exactly enough to maintain your current weight. If you eat exactly the same every day, and then add an additional 30 min jog every day to the workout you are already doing the scale will go down, as you will now be -200 calories a day. This theoretically will make you lose 0.4 lb per week. Your maintenance requirement will go down over time of course, and you will have to adjust things.
    Eat less than 1200 to 1400 calories come on then he is eating now. Higher nutrient food with a bump up in calories.

Take a look at some of the follow links..

[URL]http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/prevention-wellness/food-nutrition/nutrients/nutrition-determine-your-calorie-needs.html[/URL]
    [URL="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130222100002AA0pIby"]
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130222100002AA0pIby[/URL]

I could go on and on about this but I will let you research this further.

She is likely eating more calories then claimed (portion sizes). Weight loss/gain is a simple concept. If the scale isn't moving she is at maintenance level calories. Eating more will make her gain weight.

In response to portion size, I don't have a scale so no i can't weigh each thing but I do use the hand rules. You know
    palm size for protein etc… Additionally I would be literally be starving if I ate any less, my job alone requires me to walk approximately 10-15 miles a day. I work in a 63,000 sq foot store as a merchandiser. And I'm not really strolling
    around. Its a very fast paced job so I pretty much power walk around. I know that sounds odd. But its one of the
    largest Forever 21's in America.

You are likely starving because you seem to have basically cut carbs out of your diet. Carbs are not evil, they are a very effective energy source. If you eat the same total calories as now with carbs the scale wont change, but you wont be so hungry.

Either way, changing your calorie balance by either in-taking less calories, or burning more calories (cardio) is the only way to lose weight.
    Last edited by fourdegrees11@live.com; 10-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.