Thread: Caloric intake?

Caloric intake?

Hi all,

I've been working out four days a week for the past month along with at least 30 minutes of cardio on those days. I haven't lost much weight at all if any but I have noticed some results ( bigger arms, tighter chest, broader shoulders, and I could probably tighten my belt one notch if I wanted to). I weigh 230 and I'm nervous about my caloric intake. Currently I'm following an app that recommends I consume 1950 calories or less per day but I've read that I should be taking more in for fat loss!? 23x15-500(for fat loss?)=2950! I'm concerned that taking in that many calories will be counterproductive and I'll end up getting fatter! Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

Sorry...230x15....

Yeah, I thought it was too many calories for me as well. I am trying to lean up and I've heard that as long as I'm exercising and doing the cardio that I would be fine. I couldn't believe it! The nutrition plan also called for me to have 295 grams of protein a day! I was like how in the hell am I supposed to do that! I know that protein builds lean muscle, which in turn burns fat. But that just seems like a lot of protein to consume daily. I think on my best day I hit 125 grams but I also haven't started supplementing my protein with powders yet. I'm still nervous to consume too much protein for fear that I'll put on more weight. Again, my goal is to lean up. I'm carrying most of my excess weight in my torso (both my abdomen and chest). Thanks for the feedback though. You kind of validated what I was already thinking. Like I said I've been working out with the same plan for about five weeks now. This week has been especially hard to go up on my weight lifted. I think in starting to plateau, especially my shoulders. Sometimes I can't even lift what I lifted three days prior ( only by about five lbs though). Any thoughts there? I'm looking into switching my routine up after next week anyway, that's where the nutrition came in. I'm wondering if my lack of calories is affecting my workouts (lack of weight lost, hitting plateaus...etc).

I only weigh in at about 187, and I usually aim for 2,900 calories on my workout days, and 3,100 on leg day. It's important to note that these weight/calorie formulas are very dependent on the individual. A pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat, so the calorie needs for two people with different builds will be different. I think it's also important to note that your body is less efficient in dealing with protein calories than calories from carbs and fats. So calorie counts and activity levels being equal a high protein, moderate carb diet should yield better overall weight loss results than a low to normal protein diet.

[url]http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=285[/url]

And of course a lot of people consume a lot more calories than they think, if you are just guesstimating you might be surprised what you find when you use a real calorie counter and actually measure your portion sizes.

P.S.
    Is it just me, or are the these captcha's harder than average?

Banned
    Thank you for highlighting such thing buddy i appreciate you guys for making some real effort on this forum and having such awesome stuff in it,Keep making it and surely you will get the help back.

[url=http://www.quora.com/In-Touch-Emr]physical therapy emr[/url]
    Last edited by Brino; 02-01-2014 at 10:32 AM.

You have to find what works for you, but you have to start by cutting calories. 2,000 calories sounds like a good start like Robert said. I use the My Fitness Pal app to track my calories, and it works well for me. I would follow Roberts advice for sure. I am personally eating every 3 hours at 7am, 10am, 1pm, 6pm (post gym) and a snack in between those meals which is usually a protein shake. It works for me because I am not hungry during the day, plus I drink a gallon of water a day. The think is not to get discouraged with your set back. People just don't realize how much diet and what is in that diet affects your goals. Start with 2,000 and adjust if from there depending on how you feel. My first diet I was trying to function on 1,300 calories a day and felt like crap. I go with 1,600 calories a day and have alot more energy and the weight keeps falling off. I do a 7 exercise full body weight workout using compound movements 4 times a week with 30 minutes of cardio afterwards. Just experiment and see what works for you.

Banned
    Sometimes we put effort but do not get what we expect well that isn't without reason it has logic behind it that normally happens when we are going over the top in taking calories but not burning according to that we normally gain weight when we do not burn the much we gain that is the reason so yeah try to keep yourself activities so you burn at the same time have light and clean food.