Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Experienced Member phil_goodman's Avatar
    Yeah, mostly I just stick to the "good" fat sources -- nuts, fish, avocados and the like -- and leave it at that. I've heard of this concern for balancing the intake of Omegas 3 and 6, but haven't looked into it. What's that about?

I eat 5-10 raw egg yolks a day. Makes me happy and my Cholesterol levels are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by phil_goodman View Post
    Yeah, mostly I just stick to the "good" fat sources -- nuts, fish, avocados and the like -- and leave it at that. I've heard of this concern for balancing the intake of Omegas 3 and 6, but haven't looked into it. What's that about?
    Well, polyunsaturated fats (O3, 6, 9 etc) are highly oxidative, and the O6 fats are highly inflammatory, which can be very problematic for health, in fact, there is quite an obvious mechanism that demonstrates how polyunsaturated fats, in excess, can lead to a myriad of diseases.

150 years ago, the ration of O3 | O6 was around 1:1 or 1:2, but with modern food, and with almost everything with seed oils (O6) in it, the ratio is now 1:16 or more in the western world.

So, reducing seed oils to a minimum is very advisable, even though they are sold as 'heart healthy'. And trying to get some O3 from pastured meat, fish etc is a good plan. But, with so much O6 being ingested, it is better to reduce it to try to get balance, you could probably not eat enough O6 rich foods to balance the ratios.

BTW, you need very little polyunsaturated fat per day, around 5g from all sources.