Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Walmart protein vs ON gold standard protein?

I have been using the body fortress protein from Walmart. It tastes really good and mixes alright. I have been thinking about switching to ON gold standard. Do you think it would be worth the extra cash or is protein just protein? Should I expect better gains from the more expensive proteins and maybe a little less body fat? Just looking for opinions or even better protein options. Thank you.

depends what time of the day you are using protein powders.

THe most optimal protein to date is hydrolyzed, with regards to peri-workout protein shakes. It ensures the quickest delivery of nutrients and less fillers (it's more expensive). YOu wouldn't need too much either, 30g should be plenty per shake. Def worth investing (dymatize hydrosylates, VPX N.O. Synthesize, ON Platinum Hydro)

As far as ON goes, they have always given me gas and stuff so i personally avoid, but i think they use less fillers than other companies out there. My BB coach actually lab-tested a lot of these popular brands, he swears by ON Pro-Complex so i'm sure it's one of the best. Body Fortress most likely isn't too great... obviously cost-effective, and better than not having ANYTHING at all.

hope this helps a little.

Experienced Member bryntevans01's Avatar
    Just to throw a massive spanner of confusion into the works.... When you look at ingredients, it's really important to look at the amino blends as to where in the ingredients qty list they are. The cheap brand labels this as 'super recovery blend'. They are all amino acids, which means that when this product is lab tested it comes out as 30g Protein per scoop. Now, that is true that it has 30g of protein but a massive amount of that is amino acids mix which means that you are essentially feeding your muscles with probably about 15g protein (whey). It's well known as 'Spiking'. I am certainly not saying that amino acid mix in shakes are bad, I'm saying that for them to be that high in the list is a little bit sneaky because it's being filed out. You can google protein spiking if you don't believe me ;-)

So for example if you need 100g protein extra from your shakes, you need 4 shakes of 'ON Whey' 4x30g protein. But if you use the cheaper brand, you will need (presuming a 15g pro) you need 6 shakes 6x42g. Do you see where I am going with this? Even though it's more expensive for the better brand, it's worth it for more value, yield, taste and results.

Oh, and that 'Glycine' you see as an amino acid. It is of no use to the human body, it is not a BCAA and not essential to our bodies. Just to be more specific.

[url]http://3fu3l.com/the-protein-spiking-scam/[/url]

Body fortress is 7.50 a pound and ON gold standard is about 11.00 a pound. I can't see a huge difference between the labels. The extra calories and fat could be adjusted for in my daily macros. The body fortress has six more grams of protein per scoop and it has whey isolate in the ingredients. I might try one of the others that you have recommended that are not so pricey just to experiment and see if it's worth the extra money. Because I too like to make sure I'm getting the most out of my money. Thank you both.

Quote Originally Posted by bryntevans01 View Post
    [url]http://3fu3l.com/the-protein-spiking-scam/[/url]
    I'm sorry I didn't see your posts while I was writing my last reply. That makes a lot of sense to why it may be so cheap. What brand protein do you recommend?

I personally use USN. ON are a great brand, muscle pharm, CNP it's all to do with research really, depends on what you want and how you tend to eat generally. I use USN GF-1 because it's 40g pro, low fat, low carb, which leaves me pretty much flexible with my carbs and fats for my normal diet. Get online and research properly, use the forums and ask otherwise you'll be throwing your money away. Remember that supplements can never replace proper nutrition.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member is304's Avatar
    There are a couple of companies that have what they call "full disclosure label" - where they put in exactly how much of each ingredient is in the blend. I always try to pick those - this way I know exactly what I use.

Just the other day I looked at an NO-booster with "proprietary blend". It had all the right ingredients - AAKG, taurine, L-arginine, beta-alanine and four or five others. The problem - their serving is 5g, and they don't put in the proportion. The effective dose is at least 2g for taurine, 2g for alanine, 1-2g for AAKG. Of course, I could take 2-3 doses at once, but how would I know that I won't get an overdose of glutamine (the cheapest ingredient, which I already get from my proteins) and will get enough AAKG (which is more expensive, but is an actual NO booster)? I put the blend right back on the shelf - to wait for another sucker.

Robertrogo doesn't half talk sense! :-) he's a man in the know.

To make it easier to choose your brand/nutrient mix, think about these things-
    Hydrolised whey - fastest/purest absorbing protein
    Whey isolate - 2nd fastest/purest

These two are the one you want. But what about casein blends I hear you ask?
    Casein is awesome, however it is better taken night as it's a slow releasing and helps build muscle through the night with rest.

So i need just pure Hydrolised or isolate whey right?
    Not always. If you want a fast absorbing protein straight after your workout to recover and build instantly, then yes you do want these but, what if your just starting out, your overweight, your new to a balanced diet and you've got to drink 2-3 of these a day (just like I did, I used them as snacks to stave hunger) then really an isolate/casein mix is better as it's released straight away but is prolonged over time and it staves hunger better. Food for thought already? Pro bodybuilders use 3-4 different types of protein through the day, some low carb, some high carb, some isolate and casein depending on their diet. Now here's tricky part. Look at your diet and this will tell you what your looking for, I have a tendency to lack a good amount of protein in my diet and Its usually taken over by carbs and fat. I'm always hungry (as I'm a chef) and if I'm not full, I'm gobbling fries and white bread. So, I look for a quality low carb, low fat, high protein shake with a mix of isolate and casein. This ensures I meet my macros (diet goals) easily whilst being satisfied. I also want some vitamins and maybe some BCAA too. This way I can get my protein from my shakes predominantly and I can eat a balanced diet that I'm used to already. If you are already getting loads of protein with a good balance of carbs and fat then you want to look at a more balanced shake depending on you work out your macros. 24g protein, 20g carbs and 10g fats wouldn't work for me but would suit most other people.

So, before you choose your brand, look at what your eating and what your going to be eating through your training. It's really important to be honest and accurate with it, don't for one minute think your going to the supermarket to spend $200 a week on eggs, it just won't happen! Supplements (let's be honest) are there to top up your nutrition that you either couldn't be bothered to cook or couldn't afford to buy but probably a mix of the two. They have no magical cure or result, so when that guy in the store says 'buy this one, it's the best one on the market' he's probably on commission, and know one experienced buys from a store, they are half the price from the internet. You alone know your diet likes and dislikes, dieting is hard work and only you will know what you will eat, so work of that. Top up your nutrition after you know what you need, then look for the brand that sells the product you need.

Sorry for any ranting, just trying to help, the protein trap people fall into winds me up. It's a mislead, misunderstood and under regulated part if the sport!