Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintanillJoseph View Post
    For me... you are a different beast. I'd say if it's working for you then go for it. Why it's a bit excessive for me is that the Barbell Bench Press and the weighted dips are both compound exercises already, so they work triceps and chest (and shoulder). Personally, I've found that if I push too hard I don't recover well. I'll begin to get achy joints... But I'm going on 42. You're 10 years younger than me so maybe it's OK for you. Personally, I'd switch out the flys... like do a flat bench fly one week and the next week do the incline. Also, the skull crushers give me achy elbows so I've gone lighter recently but superset them... like I'd do 85lbs for 10 skull crushers then go straight to Close-Grip Bench Press with the same 85lbs but for like 20 or more reps... I just make 'em burn. I think your 4 sets are good.

I'm a big believer in self regulation. Listen to your body and adjust as you see fit.
    Great advice! In that case, the day I need to re-examine would be my squat day. I'll try to scale back a couple sets to see if I ache a little less. All my other workouts I feel pretty good with.

Experienced Member bryntevans01's Avatar
    Look at Layne Nortons PHAT Training. It's the programme I'm on now. Monday and Tuesday are power heavy days, then thu fir and sat are hypertrophy. Works for me!

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny720 View Post
    flyes or db presses.
    Flyes are more pectoral isolation. Presses are more compound. Both great exercises. You can even superset it with flyes first then presses.

Yes, you will. Start with your flat presses to help build muscle (compound and will stimulate all three heads, mainly the sternal). Then incline presses. Incline will focus a bit more on the clavical head and square up your pecs a bit. Flys will help shape and separate. I most often press flat with a bar or dumbbells, then hit incline mainly with dumbbells (a bar can be pretty hard on and over stress the omohyoid muscle if done improperly (poor form) plus dumbbells are more compound in nature). Then finish up with your flys. To make a long story short, Do both presses and flys, flat and incline.
    Last edited by wessreed; 12-19-2013 at 03:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wessreed View Post
    Yes, you will. Start with your flat presses to help build muscle (compound and will stimulate all three heads, mainly the sternal). Then incline presses. Incline will focus a bit more on the clavical head and square up your pecs a bit. Flys will help shape and separate. I most often press flat with a bar or dumbbells, then hit incline mainly with dumbbells (a bar can be pretty hard on and over stress the omohyoid muscle if done improperly (poor form) plus dumbbells are more compound in nature). Then finish up with your flys. To make a long story short, Do both presses and flys, flat and incline.
    Just want to make sure I'm understanding you:

So basically from my original post, I would want to keep that the same, but add in db incline presses as well right?

I suppose to prevent overtraining my chest, I should be extra careful not to lean forward on my weighted dips, and focus as best as I can to use triceps as much as possible on close-grip bench press to avoid that being another chest workout. BTW, the reason I wanted to use the close-grip bench is because those & dips are supposedly the best triceps builders.

Makes perfect sense if so, because looking at myself, my upper chest is a bit lacking for now.

Thanks man!
    Last edited by Sonny720; 12-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny720 View Post
    Attachment 85453

Attached a photo to this post for you all.

I'm 5' 9", 32 years old, about 190, been lifting in a strict routine for 6 months now.

I take GreenMag creatine, mix ON Hydro Whey with ON Casein 2x a day, take Beta-Alanine 2x a day. Sometimes I might even drink Purple Wraath as an intraworkout but I just feel its excessive since I get so many aminos from my protein shakes.

I'm aiming for around 2000 calories a day, 180-200g of protein, 180 grams of slow carbs, 70g of fat daily.

My progress has been really great as far as cutting. I've added on a decent amount of size and most notably, my arm size hasn't changed over a 6 month period, but I had a lot of arm fat before I began. So I'm taking that as I'm gaining decent mass in my arms. I also feel that my chest has been growing faster than any other part of my body, but I could be wrong of course.

Lastly, I have been able to obtain progressive overload by adding weight to numerous exercises at least once every 2 weeks. Some exercises have been slower than others (incline flyes), but others I have added weight pretty quickly (bench press).

I've lifted weights throughout my life on and off since about the age of 15. In 2005 I was working out quite excessively, but then took a few years off (just plain laziness at that point of my life).

Believe it or not, I get about 9-10hrs of sleep a night since I'm self employed and this time of year things slow down a lot (nice break).

Thoughts?
    Sorry i never replied to this...

Anyway, very hard to tell with that picture but i'll try and help you out anyway. You workout 4 days a week, so based off of that: THIs routine is for YOU - it isn't designed for anyone else...

This has to be done in this specific order ... if you do not do this exactly as outlined, you are not using my protocol, so you can't say it worked or it didn't. Over 3 weeks, track your weights and try to increase poundage, however this is not the priority. Focus on the muscle EVERY SINGLE REP. If you are working chest, do not focus on moving the weight with anything but chest. Do not be afraid to use a lighter weight. Report back in a few weeks and let me know your results... you might see a change the first week. MIGHT

Day 1: Shoulders/Triceps -
    1st triceps pushdown - 4 sets heavy, 8-10 reps, on set 4 hold last rep 10 seconds,
    Rope Pulldown for triceps - 3 sets heavy for 10 reps, no pausing
    Body weight dip - elbows flared, feet in front of you, 2 sets of ten, pause 10 seconds on last rep
    THEN SHOULDERS
    Military press, 3 working sets 8-10 reps, take the last one to failure
    reverse dumbell flies, 2 sets alternating 10-12 reps, enough weight to reach failure.
    Last exercise, 3 sets dumbell lateral raise, same time both arms, 2 sets of 10 and then 1 set heavier to 6-8 reps

That's it....

DAY 2: Heavy Flat Fly 3 sets 8-9 reps, with enough weight to failure on set 3
    next, heavy incline FLY 4 sets 10 reps... last 2 sets 8 reps, good form
    Machine incline press, heavy, 3 sets progressively heavier, 2 sets of 10, finish with set of 8
    Decline barbell bench, moderate weight, slow-moderate tempo reps, 15, 15, and set of 20

Day 3 rest; eat good carbs

Day 4: Legs

Days 5: Biceps then back- Forearms if needed

Do not add anything to day 1 or 2.... do not do cardio... NOthing! muscles need to rest. try to eat less in the evening if you can. More in the day time is good... less fat too. Make sure you have protein post-workout... just taper down the amount of food closer you get to bed. Just wing the diet for now. good luck friend - PM me if you need other help
    Last edited by rickdennis; 01-02-2014 at 10:50 PM.