Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chest & Triceps Routine - Good or Too Much?

Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I do chest and triceps on the same day.

I was hoping to get some insights if this routine I'm on is good to go, or over-training.

Workout:
    Barbell Bench Press (4 sets of 8-12)
    Dumbell Fly (4 sets of 8-12)
    Dumbell Incline Fly (4 sets of 8-12)

Weighted Dips (4 sets of 8-12)
    Barbell Close-Grip Bench Press (4 sets of 8-12)
    Lying Triceps Extension (4 sets of 8-12)

My overall routine is currently 4 days on, 1 day off; so I work this muscle group again on the 5th day (4 days of rest).

I'm on par with my recommended macros as well.

Appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny720 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I do chest and triceps on the same day.

I was hoping to get some insights if this routine I'm on is good to go, or over-training.

Workout:

My overall routine is currently 4 days on, 1 day off; so I work this muscle group again on the 5th day (4 days of rest).

I'm on par with my recommended macros as well.

Appreciate the help.
    I personally would have to have a picture of your chest to view your structure, since i couldn't physically diagnose it (in person). It depends what your chest/shoulders/arms looks like ... most people do not even need bench presses.

Please post a shot of your upper body so i can help. thanks Also what is your weight/height/age/training experience

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Workout:

If your goal is to pack on size, yea... looks OK. For me, it's a bit excessive but that's just me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	85453

Attached a photo to this post for you all.

I'm 5' 9", 32 years old, about 190, been lifting in a strict routine for 6 months now.

I take GreenMag creatine, mix ON Hydro Whey with ON Casein 2x a day, take Beta-Alanine 2x a day. Sometimes I might even drink Purple Wraath as an intraworkout but I just feel its excessive since I get so many aminos from my protein shakes.

I'm aiming for around 2000 calories a day, 180-200g of protein, 180 grams of slow carbs, 70g of fat daily.

My progress has been really great as far as cutting. I've added on a decent amount of size and most notably, my arm size hasn't changed over a 6 month period, but I had a lot of arm fat before I began. So I'm taking that as I'm gaining decent mass in my arms. I also feel that my chest has been growing faster than any other part of my body, but I could be wrong of course.

Lastly, I have been able to obtain progressive overload by adding weight to numerous exercises at least once every 2 weeks. Some exercises have been slower than others (incline flyes), but others I have added weight pretty quickly (bench press).

I've lifted weights throughout my life on and off since about the age of 15. In 2005 I was working out quite excessively, but then took a few years off (just plain laziness at that point of my life).

Believe it or not, I get about 9-10hrs of sleep a night since I'm self employed and this time of year things slow down a lot (nice break).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sonny720; 12-17-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintanillJoseph View Post
    If your goal is to pack on size, yea... looks OK. For me, it's a bit excessive but that's just me.
    Excessive in the exercises themselves or more like I should be doing 3 sets for all instead of 4 perhaps?

Thanks for the reply man!

Experienced Member bryntevans01's Avatar
    I think your workout is, why don't you try and mix it up a bit? I do a DB Benchress 3x8, Decline BB bench press 3x8, Incline DB Bench press 3x8 and use the cables for crossovers, I personally get a better contraction from it. I also find I have get a better contraction on the bigger head of the Tricep with cable standing behind head push ups. Over training is a very personal thing. Some will have a massive chest and tri day of about 12 exercises, I do chest and arms 3 sets of each. I have done a Dorian Yates Programme (which was brilliant) which only did 1 warm up set and the other set to failure! It's all about how you feel I guess when your onto the next week, are you still making gains? Your supps seem ok, and you rest more than a pilot! My guess is you could probably throw a couple more sets in their ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bryntevans01 View Post
    I think your workout is, why don't you try and mix it up a bit? I do a DB Benchress 3x8, Decline BB bench press 3x8, Incline DB Bench press 3x8 and use the cables for crossovers, I personally get a better contraction from it. I also find I have get a better contraction on the bigger head of the Tricep with cable standing behind head push ups. Over training is a very personal thing. Some will have a massive chest and tri day of about 12 exercises, I do chest and arms 3 sets of each. I have done a Dorian Yates Programme (which was brilliant) which only did 1 warm up set and the other set to failure! It's all about how you feel I guess when your onto the next week, are you still making gains? Your supps seem ok, and you rest more than a pilot! My guess is you could probably throw a couple more sets in their ;-)
    Thanks for the reply brother.

With my current home gym I can do those standing overhead cable tricep extensions. I'll give those a shot and see how they feel on that machine. Sadly, I don't have the option to do cable crossovers which I've been pretty bumbed about.

I like your idea of mixing things up those. Since I'm basically working all of my muscle groups (except legs; 1x a week), on the 2nd workout of the week I could try something different.

The only "concern" I have with my current routine is that I'm usually stronger on the 1st workout of the week than I am the 2nd. Not too much of a different (maybe overall 1-3 reps less in an entire set), but its still there. If I ever have a week where I'm more active, stressed, or get less sleep, I can usually feel the slight loss of energy and will just take a 2nd rest day.

With that, do you think I'd have a better chance of more results if I did a lighter day the 2nd day of the week and used different exercises?

Thanks again!

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    Excessive in the exercises themselves or more like I should be doing 3 sets for all instead of 4 perhaps?
    For me... you are a different beast. I'd say if it's working for you then go for it. Why it's a bit excessive for me is that the Barbell Bench Press and the weighted dips are both compound exercises already, so they work triceps and chest (and shoulder). Personally, I've found that if I push too hard I don't recover well. I'll begin to get achy joints... But I'm going on 42. You're 10 years younger than me so maybe it's OK for you. Personally, I'd switch out the flys... like do a flat bench fly one week and the next week do the incline. Also, the skull crushers give me achy elbows so I've gone lighter recently but superset them... like I'd do 85lbs for 10 skull crushers then go straight to Close-Grip Bench Press with the same 85lbs but for like 20 or more reps... I just make 'em burn. I think your 4 sets are good.

I'm a big believer in self regulation. Listen to your body and adjust as you see fit.
    Last edited by QuintanillJoseph; 12-18-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: grammer

I think its a pretty decent workout. I also do barbell bench and dips on the same day. As long as your body agrees, Do it. As the previous poster said, listen to your body (joints, aches) and keep it happy. As far as sets, 4 is fine but i would try to keep my gym time to no more then an hour and a half. Get it done, get out and eat. Based on the photo you posted, if it was me, I would mix in some incline dumbbell presses as well. Reps, again, listen to your body. I personally find my body responds better with a little higher rep range but we're all different. Keep the weights heavy enough to stimulate and go to failure so your body has a need to change, but make sure you get a good pump also. If you have to drop a little weight and rep higher to get that pump then do it. Force your muscles to take in nutrients and grow. Eat healthy and keep your blood sugar steady all day long. Happy lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by wessreed View Post
    I think its a pretty decent workout. I also do barbell bench and dips on the same day. As long as your body agrees, Do it. As the previous poster said, listen to your body (joints, aches) and keep it happy. As far as sets, 4 is fine but i would try to keep my gym time to no more then an hour and a half. Get it done, get out and eat. Based on the photo you posted, if it was me, I would mix in some incline dumbbell presses as well. Reps, again, listen to your body. I personally find my body responds better with a little higher rep range but we're all different. Keep the weights heavy enough to stimulate and go to failure so your body has a need to change, but make sure you get a good pump also. If you have to drop a little weight and rep higher to get that pump then do it. Force your muscles to take in nutrients and grow. Eat healthy and keep your blood sugar steady all day long. Happy lifting!
    Thanks man!

As far as the incline flyes I've been doing, do you think I'll get more gains from the incline db presses you mentioned? Also, I'm thinking about doing one-arm low pulley cable crossovers every other chest & tri workout to swap out the incline flyes or db presses.

Thoughts?