Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bicep question

bicep question

Hey and thanks in advance.
    Got a q about biceps.
    I've been lifting pretty dam hard over the last couple months and am seeing some great strength gains and muscle growth in pretty much every area except... biceps.. they seem to be more or less toning.... appearing smaller as other things grow (triceps and shoulders). I do not show symptoms of overtraining that I know of. Am eating bounds of protein and take creatine with my post workout shake.

How would u guys recommend myself shaking up my routine? I currently train biceps as well as back on the same day 2 x a week. Usually mixing up the workouts for each of those days to target different areas. I lidtfairly heavy and aim for 3 x8 for each workout.
    4 different workouts for bicep each bicep/back day.

Sample:
    Preacher curl 3x8
    Seated dumbbell curl 3x8
    Dumbbell preacher hammer curl
    Dumbbell concentration curl

Any suggestions and advice is much appreciated as I'm always looking to learn more

Senior Senior JEFIT Member QuintanillJoseph's Avatar
    A mountain looks less impressive if you fill in the valleys next to it. I suspect that your body fat percentage is 20+.

I have always had the same problem but I found supersetting biceps and triceps helped a bit. Recently changed routines so watching to see how things go using less rest time with hardly any supersets but using drop sets instead and working through the rack as the reps drop the weight goes up hoping to shock the muscle into graining size.

Thanks tiger I'll have to give that a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by nrcheek View Post
    Hey and thanks in advance.
    Got a q about biceps.
    I've been lifting pretty dam hard over the last couple months and am seeing some great strength gains and muscle growth in pretty much every area except... biceps.. they seem to be more or less toning.... appearing smaller as other things grow (triceps and shoulders). I do not show symptoms of overtraining that I know of. Am eating bounds of protein and take creatine with my post workout shake.

How would u guys recommend myself shaking up my routine? I currently train biceps as well as back on the same day 2 x a week. Usually mixing up the workouts for each of those days to target different areas. I lidtfairly heavy and aim for 3 x8 for each workout.
    4 different workouts for bicep each bicep/back day.

Sample:
    Preacher curl 3x8
    Seated dumbbell curl 3x8
    Dumbbell preacher hammer curl
    Dumbbell concentration curl

Any suggestions and advice is much appreciated as I'm always looking to learn more
    Training biceps 2x a week IS OVERTRAINING. If you train properly you only need to hit most all bodyparts once a week, unless you are training for competition, which then there are exceptions.

Also, how many sets of "Dumbbell preacher hammer curl and Dumbbell concentration curl" are you doing? you don't need to overwork the biceps ...

when do you train your back? list your weekly training schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by rickdennis View Post
    Training biceps 2x a week IS OVERTRAINING. If you train properly you only need to hit most all bodyparts once a week, unless you are training for competition, which then there are exceptions.

Also, how many sets of "Dumbbell preacher hammer curl and Dumbbell concentration curl" are you doing? you don't need to overwork the biceps ...

when do you train your back? list your weekly training schedule.

I'm doin g a push / pull.
    Monday is chest shoulder tricep day.
    Tuesday: back biceps
    Thurs: chest shoulder triceps
    Fri: back biceps
    Sat: legs

Not sire how 2x a week is overtraining with plenty of rest. Could you explain some more on that point. Also could u lay out your split you are using

Quote Originally Posted by nrcheek View Post
    I'm doin g a push / pull.
    Monday is chest shoulder tricep day.
    Tuesday: back biceps
    Thurs: chest shoulder triceps
    Fri: back biceps
    Sat: legs

Not sire how 2x a week is overtraining with plenty of rest. Could you explain some more on that point. Also could u lay out your split you are using
    most people typically work the muscles more frequently when they don't see any muscle growth... they think they are building muscle but they are actually retaining more fluid (makes them APPEAR larger) and then go breaking the tissues down again before they actually get a chance to fully repair. If anything, the muscles should get 2x more rest VS. 2x more training

Also It takes proper diagnosis to advise the correct routine for YOU.... since everyone is different and at a different point of development. For now, quit training so frequently, just train more intensely. If something doesn't work, change your routine... don't increase frequency or sets.

Quote Originally Posted by rickdennis View Post
    most people typically work the muscles more frequently when they don't see any muscle growth... they think they are building muscle but they are actually retaining more fluid (makes them APPEAR larger) and then go breaking the tissues down again before they actually get a chance to fully repair. If anything, the muscles should get 2x more rest VS. 2x more training
    Dude, what are you talking about??

Overtraining has nothing to due with your frequency only your recovery. Its been proven that muscles can and do recover within 48-72 hours, but the key is not destroying your body every time you hit the gym. Some people recover better on 1x frequency and some people can even thrive on 3x frequency provided the volume and intensity are manipulated properly. Most beginner routines are high frequency and they work!

OP ... if you want to be 20%+ body fat and lack muscle structure like the above individual i would recommend taking his advice.

If you decide you DONT WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOU EAT AT Wendy's EVERYDAY... Don't listen to silly bullshit... consider the source!

EeI'd have to say keep trying different routines till you find something that works for you unfortunately thats one of the hardest things about exercise on top of the fact that as you age so does what your body can or seems to want to do. When I was 20 I could eat just about anything and see gains not 5 years later and now I have to be very picky with carb to protein just to get a little bit of the right weight here and there anyway....point im trying to make is

Yes it might be your diet feed them right and your arms will grow.

And yes its up to you to find what exercises and what intensity will work for you thats what apps like this are mostly for tracking things so you diagnose what works.