Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Costa's Workout Journal

It's been 60 days since I started lifting weights after several years off.
    age 44
    Starting weight 174lb
    Current weight 180lb

Current regimen is 3x per week 5x5 strength program. Gaining strength on all lifts from 15-25%. Strength still increasing with some signs off peaking in smaller body part exercises including barbell curls. Currently have a mild groin/hip flexors strain so I'm not doing any leg movements for a week. Hope to continue with deadifts and squats next week. The plan is too continue for now with this routine until more plateaus occur. I will, however, change up biceps routine. After that the plan is to either switch to new strength program (wedlers) or a hybrid program incorporating more reps and less time between sets. Still not sure. My focus is on current routine.. My long term goal is still evolving.

I don't have a strict diet regimen. I generally have a protein drink on week day mornings with a fruit like a banana. I go to work with either several eggs, a snack bar like granola, more bananas, a turkey sand which, tuna, or leftovers from night before. When I get home I make a per workout drink with protein powder(whey) and Assault MP. After the workout it's and protein drink from home or something I bought at gym. Then dinner, what ever the wfe makes. So you can see I havnt created anything strict to follow. However, my gains in strength and even appearance are impressive so far. Probably my bodies I itial gain plus muscle memory. I do want to reduce body fat eventually so I will concentrate on this more eventually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	105628

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	105629
    Last edited by branrx; 07-31-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member LiftHeavyWeights's Avatar
    Branrx, sounds like you are making great progress. Well done.

There is a FB group called Fans of Jim Wendler, where they discuss a lot of different things, including recovery from injuries. I use it mostly for reference, at the current time. Jim Wendler, himself pops in from time to time & adds his comments/ suggestions.

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by LiftHeavyWeights View Post
    Branrx, sounds like you are making great progress. Well done.

There is a FB group called Fans of Jim Wendler, where they discuss a lot of different things, including recovery from injuries. I use it mostly for reference, at the current time. Jim Wendler, himself pops in from time to time & adds his comments/ suggestions.

Best wishes
    Thanks, I got that Wendler idea from you. Ive been looking up youtube videos. At some phase Im sure Im gonna try this out.

Still having issues with hip flexors. Also some knee joint stiffness from 4 hours over bent over yard trimming. Was able to bring back squats but only half weight with higher reps just to maintain some strength and flexibility. Will consider knee wraps soon. Bench press still increasing and started weighted pullups today. When I started I could barely squeeze out 3-4 reps at body weight.

Senior Senior JEFIT Member LiftHeavyWeights's Avatar
    Branx, try form roller, stretching. That helps me.

Excellent work on bench & pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftHeavyWeights View Post
    Branx, try form roller, stretching. That helps me.

Excellent work on bench & pull ups.
    Yes, I do a lot of foam rolling at home after workout. Love it for my back.

Barbell Curl plateau , will choose new exercise

Hip flexor issue seems to be resolved 95%

Went to High School reunion on Saturday. Drank too much, and I'm sure it's gonna show for Mondays workout.

A quick review of my phase 1 routine.
    3 days a week, full body, compound movements, 5 sets 5 reps, no cardio except 5 minute fast walk on treadmill.
    Very very few sets to failure. 2-3 minute rest periods between sets. Strength has greatly gone up in first 2 months and showing no signs of stopping except bicep curls, which I'm switching to another exercise this week. Tempo of each rep is medium, not fast , not slow, no pauses.

Besides changing bicep exercise also going to do calves twice weekly instead once. Mon and Fri.

Some ideas for my next phase or phases down the road.
    Rep pauses at bottom, wider bench grip, incorporate weighted dips, hiit on treadmill (which I think works best for me to lose fat and speed metabolism), hybrid routine, partial low reps partial high reps for hypertrophy, plyometrics, full squats, welder system?,push presses
    - consider a day of yoga?
    A better defined diet, planned
    Creatine!

Will continue same routine for another 30 days, then deload.
    Last edited by branrx; 08-08-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Got off work at 6 and forgot gym closes at 7. Made up a quick routine in the garage including 3 rounds of hiit on treadmill, push-ups, pullups and hundreds. Took about 30 minutes. Kicked my butt. This is a workout I'd like to do once a week soon to burn extra fat.

Started creatine today.