Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

trying to build muscle and loose fat

Thought i would start a wee log to look over as i havent really taken any progress pictures over the last 6 months and would like to have seen the change bit by bit.
    started out in june at 14 stone, gained weight from 11.5 stone over 3 years when i became a dad and let go of my diet and my diabetes control. been eating healthy, plenty of protein from meats and eggs and also shakes after workout. 6 months in to it and im down to 12 stone 8 lb. I started to gain muscle or atleast have better definition which has now got me on the hunt for more muscle. So once my bench finally shows up ill be starting a 5x5 3 times a week.
    last 6 months have been mainly cardio (walking,cross trainer and HIIT) followed a 12 weeks kettle program and also targeting abs and other muscles through various other exercises i seen on youtube like bar brothers etc .
    workout 6 days a week broken down like , cardio 2 days, core 1 day, resistance 2 days and a stretch day as it helps me with the stiffness
    so here i am a few years back before i put on another 1.5 stone and one of me about 4 weeks ago, my thighs are stiill pretty flabby and my chest is still a bit fatty too but hopefully ill get there slowly.
    [URL=http://s360.photobucket.com/user/jamesmacc2008/media/38509_148112435202665_163487_n_zpsa43ead01.jpg.htm l][/URL]
    [URL=http://s360.photobucket.com/user/jamesmacc2008/media/IMAG1075_zpsd4332431.jpg.html][/URL]

very embarassed uploading photos but i would appreciate any pointers on helping form a better body and shift the fat around my thighs and chest.
    should i keep at the cardio a few days a week? i dont want to gain fat or do you think the 5x5 will keep this under control
    Last edited by jamesmacc; 12-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.

I know exactly what you mean with becoming a dad and struggling with the diet and finding time to exercise. I just started getting everything back under control a couple months ago and have started to bring down my weight/recover some muscle.

It sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan and well rounded diet, so I would probably keep the cardio at 3-4 days a week on top of the 5x5 and just stay the course.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsamus View Post
    I know exactly what you mean with becoming a dad and struggling with the diet and finding time to exercise. I just started getting everything back under control a couple months ago and have started to bring down my weight/recover some muscle.

It sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan and well rounded diet, so I would probably keep the cardio at 3-4 days a week on top of the 5x5 and just stay the course.

Good luck!
    thanks for the reply, glad to hear of someone in the same situation, i just kept making excuses like when i hit 13 stone ill do something about it, then it was ah when i hit 13.5, then 14 and eventually realised if i didnt do something about it then it would get out of control.
    Im just unsure if too much cardio will affect my recovery in 5x5, i know the hard core guys all stay clear of cardio they say it works against the 5x5 but then others do 120 mins a week or so

Banned
    Its great to see you all back and i must say good achievements. Now just watch your food consumption.