Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members with families, how do you do it?

Seriously... I'm in the gym 5-7 days a week, that's not the issue.

How do you keep a healthy diet with a wife and kids who don't want to eat the same things you are eating? I can get my fiance on board sometimes, but it usually doesn't last long. She will buy healthy foods, (I mean she always stays with semi-healthy foods for lunch and dinner) especially when she know i have an event coming up i need to do. But that goes away shortly after, and then there are cookies, ice cream, candy spread throughout my house like landmines. I have tried including her in my healthier lifestyle, but she just doesn't seem interested. She supports everything i do, but also temps me so horribly with all the junk. My kids, they could care less, if the sweets weren't around i don't think they would notice. My 8 year old is a little beast and i could feed him an entire cake everyday and he would still be rocking a 6 pack, he just doesn't stop.

Anybody else ran into this issue? What do you do to resist?

We all eat clean, even my 13 year old. We still have cheat meals and snacks sometimes. For me, I track everything on my fitness pal, and I put everything for the day in the app in the morning before I eat anything. If it's not on the list, I don't eat it. It is a visual reminder of what I am supposed to eat.
    Also, if they are going to have snacks in the house, have them choose things you don't like. I hate peanut butter, so if I get cookies, ice cream, candy, etc for my son, I usually get something with peanuts or peanut butter so I won't eat it.
    I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Senior Senior JEFIT Member is304's Avatar
    I hate to say this, but if your significant others is not into healthy lifestyle, getting their support is the best you can count on. When I started eating healthy there were a lot of negotiations between me and my wife. Some of my practices rubbed on my family - we don't use sugary drinks and most of our meals are home cooked, but there is a number of items in the kitchen that I try to avoid, especially candy.

MFP is a huge help in keeping myself on track. At the end of the day I looked at what I ate, and if I have a little room, I may have something sweet or fat or otherwise unhealthy if I absolutely cannot resist it - and in moderation.

On weekends I cheat, but here's the method I developed. I take a small jar, fill it with sweets, and calculate the amount of sugar and calories with MFP to make sure I won't go overboard. Once the jar is empty, I'm done for the week.

Influencing others is tough, so don't push, take your challenges one day at a time, and stay persistent. Sooner or later they'll see your point. My kids no longer care about sodas, even when we eat out, but I won't take away their candy. I hope they'll give them up on their own, once they get a bit older.

My fiance thinks I'm crazy when I prep my meals every week since I usually eat the same thing every day. She loves to snack and is always a bad influence on me, but I have gotten very good lately with sticking to my own thing and ignoring her treats. I try to lead by example so hopefully she will eventually come over to our side lol.

Thankfully my daughter is only 1 so she doesn't have much of an impact on my diet so far. Though I have had to make adjustments to my workout schedule since she loves to play.

Thanks for the ideas, she usually keeps fairly healthy stuff in the house anyway. I have gotten her to make quite a few small changes like switching to wheat pasta and bread, buying ground turkey instead of ground beef, and she does drink less pop than she used to (I don't drink any, unless it's the occasional rum and coke). Small things like that do help some, and pretty much everything we eat is made at home. My biggest problem I need to work on is portion control, and then not grabbing all that snack food she has laying around.
    I am downloading MFP right now, i have tried other trackers in the past. I think one of the biggest issues I have with them is when I get home form work and she has all this homemade stuff, its a pain trying to figure out exactly what the calorie content on it is. It seemed easier when i ate food out of a can, it wasnt as good for me, but at least i knew exactly what I was eating for calories.
    Last edited by ididntdoit; 12-05-2014 at 02:05 PM.

I have three kids who are fairly healthy eaters. My wife, on the other hand, while also having healthy eating habits, leads a rather sedentary lifestyle and inadvertently drags me down if I'm not careful. I am lucky that she supports and encourages my fitness regimen, but I don't get the sometimes needed kick in the ass from her when I'm dragging my feet. The kids are still young, but I have a feeling that they will be lifters and boxers. I always catch them playing with the light dumbbells and punching bag in my basement. Maybe I'm cultivating homegrown workout buddies, lol. I digress, MyFitnessPal is an amazing tool. Another great resource is the IIFYM Calculator (you can find that pretty easily on Google). Keep us posted on the motivation and nutrition piece! I know that is often my biggest struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonHeathcote View Post
    The kids are still young, but I have a feeling that they will be lifters and boxers. I always catch them playing with the light dumbbells and punching bag in my basement. Maybe I'm cultivating homegrown workout buddies, .
    Me too!
    There is a gym nearby that has a free outdoor gym also, and earlier this summer some guys from work said they were holding an outdoor class. I had taken my son there before,just the two of us, so I figured he might want to come. So we show up at this class and I see kids all over, and I'm thinking to myself "this cant be bad, look at all these kids" Well the class starts, and all these kids sit down by the fence to sit and watch their parents. My son is the only one who participated, and he got high 5's and "good job's" from ever adult after that class. Truly a proud moment to see all those adults giving him credit for sticking with it for the entire hour and a half. He's been killing basketball, baseball and football at his age too, I love it.

My fiance just isn't into fitness in any way, shape or form. She and her daughter have cabinets loaded with junk. I simply have no desire for it. I feel nasty when I eat trash. So, I just have my own section of the fridge and cabinets for my stuff--which they wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. It's not an ideal set-up, but it keeps peace.

I hear ya. I deal with that for the most part. We have donuts, chips, chocolate chip cookies, etc., but I just don't eat them (every now and then I indulge, though).

Quote Originally Posted by rpierre7 View Post
    I hear ya. I deal with that for the most part. We have donuts, chips, chocolate chip cookies, etc., but I just don't eat them (every now and then I indulge, though).
    woah!! like they always say "Weakness is giving into temptation, Strength is resisting it."

May the force be with you. LOL!