Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    3x's a Senior Biggsamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297

    Social stigma regarding supplements

    I used to be a moderately heavy drinker, not an alcoholic mind you, but there were weeks where I wouldn't go a night without having a couple drinks. No one would bat an eye about me spending $100 plus a week on alcohol. But as soon as I stopped drinking and started spending money on supplements, many people are quick to judge, ask why and question if I even know what ingredients are in what I take (like I don't spend time researching what I take).

    It just blows my mind the difference in thought between pounding back processed food and alcohol, and taking supplements to help with my health.

    Anyone else encounter this kind of heat?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggsamus View Post
    I used to be a moderately heavy drinker, not an alcoholic mind you, but there were weeks where I wouldn't go a night without having a couple drinks. No one would bat an eye about me spending $100 plus a week on alcohol. But as soon as I stopped drinking and started spending money on supplements, many people are quick to judge, ask why and question if I even know what ingredients are in what I take (like I don't spend time researching what I take).

    It just blows my mind the difference in thought between pounding back processed food and alcohol, and taking supplements to help with my health.

    Anyone else encounter this kind of heat?
    All the freakin' time, man. Creatine?! That's steroids! Creatine?! That'll wreck your kidneys! -facepalm-

  3. #3
    3x's a Senior Biggsamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297
    That is exactly what I'm talking about, those people drive me crazy.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggsamus View Post
    That is exactly what I'm talking about, those people drive me crazy.
    Agreed. Over twenty years of research and there is still insufficient data to suggest that kidney damage occurs. That said, probably something unrelated occurring, or a prexisting issue in the first place. I suppose that's why it's cautioned to take it when your kidneys are healthy and what not. I cannot stand when people hate on supplements after doing little to no research.

  5. #5
    3x's a Senior Biggsamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10401979_745909908779584_5738703358807936060_n.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	116764

    Pretty much sums it up.

  6. #6
    It's not just the supplements. People don't always understand the hard work and dedication that is put in. If you are transforming your body and getting results, you must be cutting corners or have found some secret formula. My husband is constantly being accused of taking "something." I had a very overweight friend, who is a nurse, tell me that tracking my food would lead to an eating disorder and was unhealthy. She told me this while she was eating an order of fries, a milkshake, and a glass of wine. She also accused us of brainwashing our son because he doesn't drink soda.

  7. #7
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member is304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyshane237 View Post
    It's not just the supplements. People don't always understand the hard work and dedication that is put in. If you are transforming your body and getting results, you must be cutting corners or have found some secret formula. My husband is constantly being accused of taking "something." I had a very overweight friend, who is a nurse, tell me that tracking my food would lead to an eating disorder and was unhealthy. She told me this while she was eating an order of fries, a milkshake, and a glass of wine. She also accused us of brainwashing our son because he doesn't drink soda.
    I guess I'm guilty of all of that. One of my kids told me that she doesn't like soda, and she said it in such a matter-of-fact manner as if we were talking about vegetables. Everyone in my family knows that I track calories (it took me two years to convince some of them that it's not a disorder, mental or otherwise), and some of my coworkers do look askance as I prepare my preworkout out of 6 different components. I used to care, but I don't anymore. I cannot control what others think, so why bother?

    Some people do have legitimate concerns about various substance abuse, but most of these comments come from three sources: ignorance, fear, and control. Ignorance - many people do not realize that a good steak has the same 5g of creatine, and my post-workout shake is pretty much the same as a cup of milk minus lactose. Fear - people see your progress and that upsets them. They live comfortable life, and whatever shortcomings they have are conveniently explained away, and all of a sudden you come and threaten their comfort by challenging them just by being better. Naturally, some attempt to strike back. Control - and that is what most people don't realize - is what drives a lot of unsolicited advice. When people tell you that you do something wrong, they are trying to control you, either because they percieve you as a threat, or because it makes them feel better about themselves. Just remember, when a stranger gives you an uncolicited advice, especially the type that may hold you back, most likely they are not doing it for your benefit.

    I've seen a good poster recently: "Just like all the water in the ocean can't sink a ship before it gets in, all the negativity in the world won't keep you down unless you let it in." Keep up the good work and congratulations on "brainwashing" your son - we need more young people who can take care of themselves and fewer consumption puppets, especially those beholden to sugar and big food industries.

  8. #8
    3x's a Senior Biggsamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyshane237 View Post
    It's not just the supplements. People don't always understand the hard work and dedication that is put in. If you are transforming your body and getting results, you must be cutting corners or have found some secret formula. My husband is constantly being accused of taking "something." I had a very overweight friend, who is a nurse, tell me that tracking my food would lead to an eating disorder and was unhealthy. She told me this while she was eating an order of fries, a milkshake, and a glass of wine. She also accused us of brainwashing our son because he doesn't drink soda.
    I ran into a similar situation with a friend who questioned our eating habits, meanwhile her 3 year old son was throwing a fit and demanding his "Happy Juice" (which was a large Tim Hortons ice cap drink...ugh). I couldn't understand how she didn't see the irony.

  9. #9
    3x's a Senior Biggsamus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by is304 View Post
    I guess I'm guilty of all of that. One of my kids told me that she doesn't like soda, and she said it in such a matter-of-fact manner as if we were talking about vegetables. Everyone in my family knows that I track calories (it took me two years to convince some of them that it's not a disorder, mental or otherwise), and some of my coworkers do look askance as I prepare my preworkout out of 6 different components. I used to care, but I don't anymore. I cannot control what others think, so why bother?

    Some people do have legitimate concerns about various substance abuse, but most of these comments come from three sources: ignorance, fear, and control. Ignorance - many people do not realize that a good steak has the same 5g of creatine, and my post-workout shake is pretty much the same as a cup of milk minus lactose. Fear - people see your progress and that upsets them. They live comfortable life, and whatever shortcomings they have are conveniently explained away, and all of a sudden you come and threaten their comfort by challenging them just by being better. Naturally, some attempt to strike back. Control - and that is what most people don't realize - is what drives a lot of unsolicited advice. When people tell you that you do something wrong, they are trying to control you, either because they percieve you as a threat, or because it makes them feel better about themselves. Just remember, when a stranger gives you an uncolicited advice, especially the type that may hold you back, most likely they are not doing it for your benefit.

    I've seen a good poster recently: "Just like all the water in the ocean can't sink a ship before it gets in, all the negativity in the world won't keep you down unless you let it in." Keep up the good work and congratulations on "brainwashing" your son - we need more young people who can take care of themselves and fewer consumption puppets, especially those beholden to sugar and big food industries.
    Great informtation here, key thing is to ignore the people who want to hold you back, and keep the ones with you that have similar goals. That's why this community is so great, we're here to support one another, not to attack anothers methods.

    That'd be a good poster to have in my basement, I might have to look around for something like it.

  10. #10
    Senior Senior JEFIT Member is304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    208
    Here's a good article that pretty much sums up the whole thing: [url]http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/action-offends-the-inactive[/url]

    A quote from it: "Action offends the inactive. Offend them anyway."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •