Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the gym

New to the gym

I am 25 years old and have been overweight all my life. I have joined gyms and stopped going because I get self-conscious and think people are judging me. I realize this is probably typical fears people have and I would love to hear some advice people have about how to get over this!

Thanks

Hi reynoldwrap and welcome to the Jefit community. This is a great community where you can lots of tips, motivation and support when you need it.

Feeling a bit self conscious when at the gym (especially being new to the gym) is a very common thing, but you have nothing to fear. Remember that everyone at the gym is there for pretty much the same reason. We all want to get in shape, improve ourselves and feel better.

When I start at a new gym, the first thing I like to do is to get the lay of the land. I'll either get a free tour from a trainer if available, or I'll come in really early or late. This way I can learn where everything is so that I don't look like a lost puppy when I'm trying to navigate through my routines.

You could also try participating in classes if they are available, it's a great way to meet some of the regulars and get comfortable with working out there.

If all else fails, just slap on your headphones and get yourself in the zone. It's all about having fun and enjoying the journey of fitness.

Good luck!

Senior Senior JEFIT Member is304's Avatar
    I agree with Robert 100%, and have a few things to add.

Don't let other people define who you are. Remember - people who need to criticize others usually do it because they have problems themselves. How much do you care about their problems? That's exactly how much you should care about their comments. Most people in the gym (at least people who belong in the gym) are far more concerned with their own program and don't have time to be critical with others. I don't speak of people who make legitimate and helpful comments on your technique, but the people who make faces at you or try to show that they are better than you. They are not, if they were they wouldn't try so hard.

You can't change the way you feel about yourself overnight, but you can chose whether these feelings will hurt you or help you. When I stepped into a gym for the first time I was very self-conscious too. Not only I was a bit overweight (only 196, which is still too much), but I was also pretty weak. I was trying to do my best, but my best was two small plates on a barbell - my personal record on bench press was 65. It took me a while to realize that most people, especially the ones I look up to, don't care how much I can lift. I still don't lift as big as I'd like to, but I learned the right way of dealing with it - get my butt in the gym and work out, so tomorrow I can lift more than today. By the way, I feel a lot better about myself these days. You can pick whether your self-image is an obstacle or a motivation.

Don't compete with others. The only one you have to beat is you. And it's not that hard - just pick a good program and stick with it.

Cut yourself some slack. I don't mean eat a dozen cupcakes and pat yourself on the back, but every one slips up on occasion. When you find that you've made a mistake, that's what you do - accept you weakness, forgive yourself, learn the lesson, and get back with the program. It works for me - I used to slip up a lot when I started dieting, now it only happened twice in the last three months (both times I stayed at caloric deficit longer than I should have because of circumstances I couldn't control). In the past my slip-ups ended in a binge, but the last two were a handful of sundried fruit each - about 20g of carbs above my daily allowance. Let go of your errors, and they get smaller, keep bleming yourself, and they pile up.

Have a plan. Now, this is the most important one. If you do some random stuff in the gym it won't be good for you. Better than snacking in front of TV, but not good anyway. Do some research and find a program that works for you. My first year in the gym I worked out pretty aimlessly - just nearly random selection of exercises without any long-term goals. The results were unimpressive. I picked a plan, and within a few months I was getting compliments on my progress from some of the toughest guys in the gym.

Your diet must be part of the plan. Plenty said and done on that one, so I don't have to add anything.

Be very patient. Recently I listened to an interview with Charles Polliquin. He trains star athletes and celebrities. When he gets a new client who wants to lose weight, he starts with one question - "How long did it take you to gain tthat weight?" That puts things into perspective. You can get thin and fit, but it will take time. There's another thing you should be aware of. At first you will see great progress. After a while - for some people it's a couple of weeks, for others it's months or even years - your progress will slow down or even grind to a halt. Sometimes it means that your body adjusted to what you're doing and you need to switch up - get a different diet, pick more demanding routine, but at times it's more subtle. For example, when you're losing fat, at first you see the changes right away. After a while, when you've lost enough, your skin starts sagging, and it will take a while for it to tighten before you see more results. Keep going, and at some point it will leap at you. Also, initially your body may feed off the fat that's right under your skin, but after a while it will start burning the stuff that's really bad for you - the fat on your guts, liver, lungs, heart, and so on. So, while you won't see any changes in the mirror, you will be getting a lot healthier.

Motivation matters. Sometimes you just can't do it alone. There are several places where I look for an encouragement. One of them is here: [url]https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/[/url]. And, by the way, there's one serious lifter who thinks you're awesome (look in the bonus list): [url]https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/10-most-annoying-people-in-the-gym[/url].

To make it short: there are more people on your side, even in your gym, than you think. Do your research, pick a progran, and stick with it. You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Wow! Thank you all for such encouraging words! It was great to read each of your advice and helps to realize that there are people on my side! Thanks again!!!!

Hello!
    Never be afraid to make yourself better!
    Nobody comes there in perfect shape!
    Do what you need to do and proud of yourself!
    Better is you come with a friend. You will feel yourself more confident
    If you don't know correct technique of exercises, you can learn it here
    pushing-up.com/video/exercises/

Yeah, never be afraid. Remember, there's always a first time for everything. I can't give tips anymore as they were mostly mentioned above, so all I can say is goodluck and post your progress after a few months and be proud. Anyway, just to add up on Mr. Oksana Slavska's list of websites for exercise techniques, you may also read: [url]http://www.sportsgearlab.com/[/url]

I too am overweight, I know the feeling. to that I say sir, "who gives a s**t what other people think of you at the gym". Most will think unlike 99% of others with weight issue, you come out to the gym to fight, and hats off to you for that. In 20 years of me going to gyms I NEVER overheard anyone make fun of people due to weight.

Here's what you should really FEAR people making fun of you. Poor form. if you do exercises in some ridiculous self made fashion, people WILL make fun of you. and frankly you want that cause someone laughing at your form is better than you injuring yourself for life. Get a personal trainer to help you with a proper form and you've eliminated the single biggest cause why people point fingers and laugh.

PS. usually trainers at gyms are not very good. try to find some high rated boutique training gyms or trainers. Yelp is one reasonably good source though it has a fair share of "fake 5 star" businesses. Watch out for businesses with all 5 stars. BS.

Don't let people's opinion influence you like that. Gymnastics, for example, did wonders to me. I found a source where you can [url=http://rg-leotard.com/designleotard]make your own gymnastics leotard[/url] because I got a little bigger than it's allowed for an athlete, but my personal coach sounds promising. Now I practice both: gymnastics and powerlifting. Though with the latter one I'm still a newbie but people became more understanding in time

I will be honest,

I judge people at the gym. but i'm sure i get judged to. it is apart of life. dont let it bother you everyone was fat/skin and bones at one point and it just took hard work to get to there own goals.

I don't judge those people who doesn't attend gym. I just recently have started attending it. Thanks to helpful [URL="https://essayvikings.com/uk/dissertation-writing-services"]Websites[/URL] I don't have to worry when I'll have time for writing my college papers so now I'm attending gym.