Alternating Workouts

Okay fitness gurus I have read you shouldn't excercise everyday because your muscles need recovery time. I am wondering if instead of a rest or recovery day every second day can you have two separate workouts targeting different areas say upper body one day lower the next that way I am still giving the muscles a break but doubling my workouts. What do you think?

If you want the fewest days off you must split your routine, full body everyday will just break you down and cause injuries.
    you can go the 2 split like you said but will need a day off every 3rd day, work out a(upper) b(lower), and one off or you can do a 3 or 4 day split with the same format, a,b,c, off a,b,c, off... or a,b,c,d off a,b,c,d, off. if you are relatively new I would not try to go beyond this split. a good 3 day splits is day 1 push, day 2 pull day 3 legs. my favorite split is day one chest and triceps, day 2 back and shoulders, day 3 legs and biceps. with abs and calves alternated every other work out. this is followed by a day off then repeat. there are some good 4 day splits listed on the site as well as some other 3 day splits to look at as well.